• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Upset of the tournament

S

stormmaster1

The worst aspect of WC2003 was the lack of any shock results. Previously we've had the likes of samoa beating Wales, but it failed to rematerialise despite some promising pacific island performances. Can anyone see some upsets this time? The only slim possibilities i can see are samoa beating England or Fiji beating Wales if either of the 6N sides takes their opponent too lightly.

Only if a Portuguese Army Sniper hides in the stadium roof.

I personally see Italy making the Top 8 - If they can roll Scotland they will get the Second Spot.

Which was an upset? When Samoa beat Wales in the 91 RWC or the 99 RWC? ;)

2003? Shock results? Australia beating the All Blacks in the semis.

2007 schock? I'm gunning for the Springboks to get knocked out in the quarter final stages :D

italy beating scotland wouldnt be a shock anymore.

im gonna say Scotland to beat the AB's at murrayfield. ;)

italy beating scotland wouldnt be a shock anymore.

im gonna say Scotland to beat the AB's at murrayfield. ;)
[/b]

I see several upsets actually:
- France failing to qualify for the QF,
- NZ defeated by Ireland at the QF stage,
- Argentina winning the Web-Ellis trophee.

France failing to make the QF's. Definitely possible.
Samoa defeating England

The biggest upset will be Lora suddenly swearing blind that he "had always thought New Zealand would win the world cup for the last two years!" After South Africa crash out of the Semi-Finals.

My upset of the tournament? England getting to the Semi-Finals.

I've had enough shocks from the All Blacks in previous World Cups...I'm wary of the Irish giving them a shock in a quater-final match.

One of Ireland or France getting knocked out by the Argies in the group stage- definately possible.

The Biggest shock of the Tournament would be Fiji beating both Wales & Australia. That's right folks, you heard it right.... Fiji beating Wales & Australia.

Spread the news.

Interesting comments guys (and gals perhaps?).

Firstly, I thought Autralia beatign Ireland in 2003 was an upset. That Irish team was superb and dominated posesion and territory all game. They should of won. Australia holding on as they did was spectacular and in my view an upset.

In France 07 I think the following will happen:

- Winner of Pool D wins the World Cup
- Argentina beating Ireland
- France beating Ireland
- New Zealand knocked out in the QF's
- France Vs South Africa final
- Italy beating Scotland
- Australia knocked out at the QF stage by Pool A winner (RSA / Eng)

and I think the following might happen:

- Canada beating Fiji
- Argentina beating France and going on to win the pool and the RWC.
- Wales beating Australia
- USA beating Samoa
- Japan beating Fiji

lol at us getting knocked out of the Quarter Finals.

But hey your entitled to your opinion, even if you have to use double standards when forming it.

I suppose any shocks will come at the top end. I can't see any tier 2 nations beating any of the top 10 sides. I don't think it will be a massive shock if Ireland don't get out of the pools as Argentina are a quality side in their own right.

I suppose a good question to ask would be who is going to beat the all blacks and at which stage of the competition. I'm going to go with nobody beating them, but SA would be most likely team to do so if i'm wrong.

I see several upsets actually:
- France failing to qualify for the QF,
- NZ defeated by Ireland at the QF stage,
- Argentina winning the Web-Ellis trophee.
[/b]
Odds-wise those should be three good bets. Argentina as champs is not so ridiculous that you'd be throwing your money away - but you could vary the trophy winner part with Australia/England/Italy/Wales, depending on the length of odds you want - not Ireland, because they're already covered in parts one or two of the bet.

Put a big lump on ABs to win the cup, small lumps on SA/France to win the cup, and hedge with a few cents on each of the three shock results. If nothing else, it'll keep your hand in until the end. But do it now, before SA crush the ABs in the tri-nations and get run close by Aus.

lol at us getting knocked out of the Quarter Finals.

But hey your entitled to your opinion, even if you have to use double standards when forming it.
[/b]

If you say so. Argentina, Ireland and France will all have teams that can beat New Zealand at the World Cup. The second placed team of these three will play an NZ team which has had far easier matches. I could go on...

Doesn't mean I am correct, but then again I made good money in the 1999 World Cup when I put money on France beating New Zealand. I did this after seeing NZ play Scotland in the QF's and France play Argentina (whom everyone thought were crap. lol at that). France looked superb and thanks to them I made myself some easy money.

No double standards used at all btw. The only laughing about NZ at the World Cup has been against the All Blacks. Who else, picked France to win? Who picked Australia to win in 1991 or 2003? Or South Africa in 1995. In all cases NZ were red hot favourites but in all cases lost because they were shut down by their opponents who, like France / Argentina / Ireland, play very different styles of rugby. This tells us that there is a variety of ways to beat New Zealand. The 2004-2006 All Blacks have not been dominating by setting up tries, they have generally been scoring lucky tries and many 50-50 tries after gaining the lead through the Johnny Wilkinson factor, i.e. Carters boot. Without penalties and this luck their results wouldn't read as they do. Look at NZ's win against Argentina in 2006 as an example. The try that won the game happened in a tackle when Nunez Pieosec stopped the All Black only for the ball to roll forward off his leg and enable an try. Without that try Argentina would have won the match. NZ beat England in 2005 thanks to two forward passes, that weren't called, enabling Tana Umaga to score twice. NZ won the game by two points. I could go on.

Scoring tries from 60 metres out shows skills, no doubt but this is what NZ have always done and come World Cup time they have always been stopped. In contrast a team like England has lost plenty of games by 6 or under because it hasn't had the same luck. This could all change.

NZ are favourites again and should win again but does this mean they will? You have heard from me. Who knows if it will change how you think. My question to you is, did you eat your hat after the 2003 World Cup semi?

Latest posts