• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Upsets in Canadian Rugby Championship

Melhor Time

Bench Player
After a succesful debut season in 2009, the Americas Rugby Championship has taken on an an altered format for 2010. In 2009 the final was between the winner of the Canadian round robin series and the winner of Argentina Jaguars vs a USA Select XV. The tournament was held in North America with Canada hosting virtually every match. Los Jaguars won. In 2010, however, the tournament has unquestionably been improved. This time Canada´s domestic competition is officially being refered to as the Canadian Rugby Championship (CRC) and rather than have the winner advance to the final, the winner will be crowned CRC champion following the final to take place on September 18.

The advantage of this is that it gives Canada its own domestic competition with the same four teams from 2009 participating. It then allows national coach, Kieran Crowley, to select the top players from all four teams to play in what will be called Canada A in the 2010 Americas Rugby Championship to be played in Córdoba, Argentina in September following the completion of the CRC. Competing alongside Canada A will be the USA Select XV, Tonga A and hosts Argentina will have their A team, Los Jaguars. It is a unique opportunity for allm four countries to bridge the gap from domestic to international rugby.

So far the CRC has proven to be highly unpredictable. Last year the BC Bears won after defeating the Ontario Blues in the Final. However, this year has seen vast changes in performances with the Ontario Blues being defeated at home 13-15 by the Prarie Wolfpack and 33-0 by The Rock. The BC Bears were similarly out played by last years third and fourth teams in losing 41-6 vs the Prairie Wolf Pack and 34-12 vs The Rock. These results mean that regardless of what happens in the final round of the CRC (to be played on September 4), the 2010 finalists will be the Prairie Wolf Pack and The Rock. The winner of their roundrobin match on September 4 will determine who hosts the final on September 18.

Young starts from both The Rock and the Prairie Wolf Pack have come through this year. But 40 year old Canadian legend, Rod Snow has also returned and taken it to the youngsters. Snow is a veteran having played for Canada in Rugby World Cup 1995, 1999, 2003 and 2007. He played professional rugby in South Africa and in Wales and a total of 62 tests for Canada. His most recent test was vs Australia in Bordeaux during France 2007.

There's already a thread about this, no need to start up a new one.

Great result as Canada's Atlantic team, The Rock, have this afternoon defeated the Praire Wolfpack 27-23. Canadian legend scrumhalf, ex-Stade Français, Morgan Williams was scrum-half for The Rock. Prop, Rod Snow played too as did some good looking younsters such as Yyler Wish and Ciaran Hearn.

Last years champions, the BC Bears were smashed 55-20 by the Ontario Blues in the other match which means the BC Bears get the wooden spoon. Talk about a revolution in Canadian rugby! This is like Toulouse being relegated to the Pro d2 in France. Despite getting a huge win, the victory for Ontario was merely consolation as the Prarie Wolfpack and The Rock will meet again in the Canadian Final to be played on Setember 18.

I can´t believe the negativite comments people on the net have been saying about ths CRC. It is a fantastic comp. Hopefully it can be expanded to home and away in quick time.

There's already a thread about this, no need to start up a new one.

Well, its not easy to find. Hence, starting this. Why on earth is there no Americas section on this forum? I looked for a place to post about Canadian rugby and found nothing so I posted here. I couldn´t find anything about the CRC at the time of posting this. I just saw it now and the thread is pretty ordinary. Little to nothing of note on it. Just people having fun mocking Fairhurst. Guys, Morgan Williams was awesome. Remember him in Rugby World Cup 1999? No match comments to be found in the topic btw. The creator talked a bit but thats about it. If you want to merge this to that one then go ahead.

Yeah, I'm not really critical of the competition because it will no doubt be a valuable tool for national selection, but more so the whole way Rugby Canada is ran. Even this year for example, when British Columbia loses, its always pinned on the fact that they are playing "out of season". For those of you who don't know, on the Canadian west coast rugby is a winter sport and elsewhere in Canada it's a summer sport. The two seasons problem is compounded too, because Canada is so bloody massive (which makes selection a nightmare) and most of the country is covered in snow eight months of the year.

Now, the CRC is a step in the right direction and a definate step up on the RCSL, but if it is to be a true pathway to the national team BC needs to take its lumps and ice its best team and quit whinning about the competition being out of season. That's my main gripe with it...

To be more relevant to the topic, it is quite a shocker that the Prairie Wolf Pack has done as well as they have. They didn't even have any preseason games before the CRC started. I can't say the same about the Rock, as as long as Rod "the cod" Snow is in the pack their scrum will continue to dominate even if he is pushing 40. They even managed to beat (Esher I think?) of the RFU Championship and almost took down England Counties so they are quality stuff. Ontario on the other hand... I have no bloody clue why they have played so bad, they can't even use the "out of season" excuse for sucking :)

The Rock are Canadian Champions

Canada´s Atlantic selection known as The Rock are the new Canadian Rugby Champions after winning the 2010 Canadian Rugby Championship Final 19-8 vs the Prairie Wolfpack at Swilers Rugby Complex in St. John´s on Saturday afternoon in front of a 2,500 strong crowd.

It was not a game to replicate earlier matches in the tournament as at half time scores were remarkably tied at 0-0 in no small part due to the weather. Conditions were tough with St. John´s putting on one of its famous wet afternoons. The Prarie Wolfpack had the advantage of playing behind strong wind in the first half but the fact they were unable to use this to put points on the board really hurt them after the break.

Both teams scored one try each in the second half but the first points were scored by The Rock´s winger Ciaran Hearn who slotted his first of four penalty goals in the seventh minute of the second half. As the second half continued centre, Geoff Warden pounced onto a nice kick from flyhalf, Dean Blanks to score a try for The Rock. With Hearn´s conversion, The Rock were winning 19-3 and had the match under control. With time running out, the Prarie Wolfpack´s flyhalf, Stephen Woodward set up centre Nick Blevins with a nice pass which he turned into a try.

All good stuff guys ... I did start a thread on this comp, but i'm new to Canada, and while i'm interested in Canadian rugby, I don't, by my own admission, know much about it :D

I was wondering about the poor showing of the BC bears this year, and I guess that the playing out of season goes some way to explain it

Maybe the two threads could be merged, but i'm not sure how this is done ...

All good stuff guys ... I did start a thread on this comp, but i'm new to Canada, and while i'm interested in Canadian rugby, I don't, by my own admission, know much about it :D

I was wondering about the poor showing of the BC bears this year, and I guess that the playing out of season goes some way to explain it

Maybe the two threads could be merged, but i'm not sure how this is done ...

Its a good question. The BC Bears really got outplayed and somehow were the worst team of the four. I have been looking into this myself as I found it very odd to see the Canadian Champions become the wooden spooners.

It seems to be that the overriding reason for the BC Bears being poor is that a number of the top players weren´t playing this season. Stars from 2009 including Nathan Hirayama, Sean White, Harry Jones, Mike Burak and Ed Fairhurst, were all absent. Others left for other teams. Luke Cudmore left for the Prairie Wolfpack.

The team that lost the final match this year vs Ontario was:

<TABLE class=boxscores border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>15 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Sean Ferguson </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>14 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Sean Duke </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>13 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Connor Braid </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>12 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Taylor Dalziel </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>11 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Shawn Mercier </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>10 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Eric Wilson </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>9 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Colin Brown </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>8 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Cameron Pierce </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>7 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Seamus Gay </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>6 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Glen McKinnon </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>5 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Brian Erichsen </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>4 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Adam Zaruba </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>3 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Jason Marshall </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>2 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Pat Riordan </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=right>1 </TD><TD class=boxscores_tables2 align=left>Rhodri Hanmer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Missing players seems to certainly be the key reason. Let me elaborate. Last years BC Bears vs Ontario Blues match was 29-24 to BC. The BC Bears team was as follows:

1. Rhodri Hanmer
2. Pat Riordan
3. Francis Yoon

4. Luke Cudmore
5. Brian Erichsen
6. Ben Johnson
7. Neil Meechan
8. Glen McKinnon

9. Ed Fairhurst
10. Nathan Hirayama
11. Derek Townsend
12. Sam Jenkins
13. Harry Jones

14. Sean Duke
15. Sean White

The BC Bears defeated The Rock 8-7 last year with the following team:

15 Harry Jones
14 Sean Duke
13 David Spicer
12 Andrei Prochine
10 Nathan Hirayama
9 Sean White
8 Colin McKenzie
7 Neil Meechan
6 Jason Marshall
5 Brian Erichsen
4 Mike Burak
3 Francis Yoon
2 Pat Riordan
1 Rhodri Hanmer

They then hammered the Prairie Wolfpack 52-14 with this team:

15 Sean White
14 Sean Duke
13 Sam Jenkins
12 David Spicer
11 Shawn Mercier
10 Nathan Hirayama
9 Ed Fairhurst
8 Glen McKinnon
7 Adam van Staveren
6 Jason Marshall
5 Mike Burak
4 Brian Erichsen
3 Nick Daniel
2 Pat Riordan
1 Joe Scales

BC were missing a few key players

David Spicer for one was top player in BC and played professionally at fly-half for FC Auch in Top 14, Fairhurst played w/ Cardiff Blues and Cornish Pirates, Mike Burak played Pro D2 for a number of years.... all were absent this season... BC fielded a fairly young squad and the results showed.

Latest posts