Stormers
Fri 21 Apr Stormers v Benetton (5.30pm)

Fri 21 Apr Ulster v Edinburgh (7.35pm)

Sat 22 Apr Lions v Zebre Parma (1pm)

Sat 22 Apr Dragons v Scarlets (3pm)

Sat 22 Apr Bulls v Leinster (3.05pm)

Sat 22 Apr Ospreys v Cardiff (5.15pm)

Sat 22 Apr Sharks v Munster (5.15pm)

Sat 22 Apr Glasgow Warriors v Connacht (7.35pm)

I see that the top 8 is fixed. Also, there shouldn't be much movement if any within the top 8 so it's probably Connacht for us in Cape Town.

Only SA team in any sort of form is the Lions unfortunately. Hopefully we can rally for the playoffs.

Looks like Jason Jenkins flew back to dublin along with Leo Cullen and Rhys Ruddock, who is injured.

Also, there shouldn't be much movement if any within the top 8 so it's probably Connacht for us in Cape Town.

I think there will be a fair bit of shake up in 5th to 8th. My expectation:
Stormers beat Benetton
Sharks beat Munster
Bulls beat Leinster team
Glasgow Warriors beat Connacht
Ulster beat Edinburgh

Positions
Leinster 80
Ulster 69
Stormers 68
Glasgow 63
Bulls 53 (point difference getting them above)
Munster 53
Sharks 51
Connacht 49

So I guess I'm predicting quarter finals of:
Leinster vs Connacht
Ulster vs Sharks
Stormers vs Munster
Glasgow vs Bulls

I don't think Stormers will be facing Connacht, Glasgow has been way too strong this half of the season, especially at home. Only very open one is 5th/6th. I think the Sharks will win still, but if Munster gets any bonus point they end up in 5th, and we get the Bulls in Cape Town.

I think there will be a fair bit of shake up in 5th to 8th. My expectation:
Stormers beat Benetton
Sharks beat Munster
Bulls beat Leinster team
Glasgow Warriors beat Connacht
Ulster beat Edinburgh

Positions
Leinster 80
Ulster 69
Stormers 68
Glasgow 63
Bulls 53 (point difference getting them above)
Munster 53
Sharks 51
Connacht 49

So I guess I'm predicting quarter finals of:
Leinster vs Connacht
Ulster vs Sharks
Stormers vs Munster
Glasgow vs Bulls

I don't think Stormers will be facing Connacht, Glasgow has been way too strong this half of the season, especially at home. Only very open one is 5th/6th. I think the Sharks will win still, but if Munster gets any bonus point they end up in 5th, and we get the Bulls in Cape Town.
Hmm. Having a good look at it I think the top 5 is all but fixed with Glasgow hosting Munster in QF4 a safe enough bet. But I do see, especially with the amount of 50/50 games where top 8 teams are involved its an open question who the top 3 will be hosting. And I think all of the Bulls, Sharks and Connacht will be seeing us as the easiest route to a semi given our recent poor form and especially since it will limit the travel involved for the other SA sides.

Stormers team:

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Angelo Davids, 13 Dan du Plessis, 12 Damian Willemse, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Willie Engelbrecht, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Ruben van Heerden, 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 JJ Kotze, 1 Steven Kitshoff (captain)

Substitutes: 16 Joseph Dweba, 17 Ali Vermaak, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Ernst van Rhyn, 20 Ben-Jason Dixon, 21 Marcel Theunissen, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Ruhan Nel

I'm happy with the team apart from that we need Xaba on the flank in absence Fourie but with Fourie set to be fit for the playoffs that is probably a non issue. I also prefer Willemse at 12 ahead of 15. I see him as a 10/12 more than anything else.

Job done for the weekend, now we just wait and see for Ulster inevitably beating Edinburgh. We've actually ended the season with the same W/D/L as last season, but actually 7 log points above last season (68 vs 61).

Discipline was poor for us, 3 yellows can't happen in playoffs. Similarly Dweba isn't putting his hands up with his throw ins, while I'm glad to see Libbok get his kicking game right in the second half.

A slight potential blessing in disguise is Hartzenberg getting injured in the WP game. He has been our weakest link in our backline the last 3 or 4 games and he was poor again against the Pumas today. He needs more time to develop his decision making and especially his defense.

What are the chances Edinburgh stand up against Ulster? Even a draw keeps us 2nd.

The way Edinburgh has gone in the latter season it might as be Zebre I am pinning my hopes on.

If you look at their starting team they should be competitive, just haven't been firing throughout the season and I guess also had injuries hamper them.

Yeah, looks like Scotland essentially. So far so good I still like Ulster will catch up at the end of it.

Glasgow over Connacht

EobaxrBr-6iyxTNYj.png

Ulster will fancy their chances at winning this comp, found their feet after a shocking middle of the season and are firing on all cylinders. Will be hoping a SA team takes care of Leinster though.

Looking at the table today, it almost suits us better to lose and avoid back to back games v South African opponents. The potential of an unbeaten season is fairly tasty though so I will be slightly disappointed if we lose, despite not expecting a result at all.

Losing Vakh, Jenkins and Ruddock has made our already lightweight and inexperienced pack even more so. Will be very impressed with any result today.

Need to get hands on ball possession must be nearly 90% for the Bulls in this first 15.

Wish Evans would communicate the penalties in real time better. Kind of just holds his arm out and maybe mumbles something.

We should take McCarthy off.

Was not expecting that. Reminds me of the time the Bulls beat the Reds 92 3.

Looks like we will host the Bulls at CT for a QF. Was more hoping for Connacht but we haven't lost to the Bulls since the Rainbow cup thing and long may that continue!

Latest posts