Fri 21 Oct Connacht v Scarlets

Sat 22 Oct Zebre Parma v Edinburgh
Sat 22 Oct Lions v Glasgow Warriors
Sat 22 Oct Leinster v Munster
Sat 22 Oct Sharks v Ulster
Sat 22 Oct Cardiff v Stormers

Sun 23 Oct Dragons v Ospreys

Last edited:
Benetton v Bulls. Rematch of the "Rainbow Cup" final. Should be interesting. Both sides will want to get back to winning ways.

Lions v Glasgow Warriors, Leinster v Munster, Sharks v Ulster, Cardiff v Stormers also all very tasty. Man, I wish I had more time on my hands.

I am pretty excited for the Sharks Ulster game. Should he a great contest. Hope it's a nice and sunny Durban day :)

Worried about this one. I consider Cardiff the best of the Welsh teams at the moment, so I think it will be really tough (but then again, I thought Benetton was looking like a top 8 team and thought the Bulls would bounce back - overall terrible mix of picks from last weekend). The positive for us is we will have Malherbe back - so technically a Springbok-esque front row available which has been one of our weakest points. Hopefully we also get much better weather this weekend.

Fri 21 Oct Benetton v Bulls
Fri 21 Oct Connacht v Scarlets

Sat 22 Oct Zebre Parma v Edinburgh
Sat 22 Oct Lions v Glasgow Warriors
Sat 22 Oct Leinster v Munster
Sat 22 Oct Sharks v Ulster
Sat 22 Oct Cardiff v Stormers
Sun 23 Oct Dragons v Ospreys
Benetton, Connacht, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leinster, Ulster, Stormers and sadly, Ospreys will all be winners.

I'm on the fence on a lot of these but let me throw my picks into the hat as well.

I have the Bulls to bounce back ala Munster
Connacht
Edinburgh
Lions were a whisker away from Ulster so I'll back them this week
Leinster
Stormers I hope
Ospreys

Sharks hosting Ulster I want to see the lineups first. I want to back the Sharks at home but the Ulster pack should be able to get enough parity for the big edge their backs should have to see them through is what my head tells me.

I think there is a gulf between the top 6 or so and the rest so it's weird this is the fourth week in a row I can pick only one game with a clear favourite (Leinster). I'm getting like a broken record. There must come a point in the season where we will get a lot of strong sides hosting week ones in the same weekend, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I think there is a gulf between the top 6 or so and the rest so it's weird this is the fourth week in a row I can pick only one game with a clear favourite (Leinster). I'm getting like a broken record. There must come a point in the season where we will get a lot of strong sides hosting week ones in the same weekend, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
I can't speak for the rest because I've mostly looked at only the Stormers' fixtures but we have a tough second half of the tournament. My feeling was that we should be topping the log midway if we were to end up top 4.

Weirdest game is a one off tour to Leinster like the Sharks had as well. We'll probs be sending a 2nd string side as well. Feels silly sending your stars on tour for a single game considering you'll be wanting to rest them somewhere in any case.

Sharks to face Ulster

15 Aphelele Fassi,
14 Werner Kok,
13 Marnus Potgieter,
12 Ben Tapuai,
11 Makazole Mapimpi,
10 Boeta Chamberlain,
9 Jaden Hendrikse,
8 Phepsi Buthelezi,
7 Vincent Tshituka,
6 Siya Kolisi,
5 Hyron Andrews,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Thomas du Toit (c),
2 Bongi Mbonambi,
1 Ox Nche.

Subs:

16 Kerron van Vuuren,
17 Ntuthuko Mchunu,
18 Carlu Sadie,
19 Reniel Hugo,
20 James Venter,
21 Sikhumbuzo Notshe,
22 Cameron Wright,
23 Anthony Volmink.

Bulls team to face Benetton:

15 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 14 David Kriel, 13 Stedman Gans, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Wandisile Simelane, 10 Chris Smith, 9 Embrose Papier, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Marco van Staden, 6 Marcell Coetzee (captain), 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Janko Swanepoel, 3 Francois Klopper, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp

Substitutes: 16 Jan-Hendrik Wessels, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Mornay Smith, 19 Walt Steenkamp, 20 WJ Steenkamp, 21 Zak Burger, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Stravino Jacobs

Could see this match go either way but still backing the Bulls if only because I expect they'll be fired up to avoid three straight losses.
Sharks to face Ulster

15 Aphelele Fassi,
14 Werner Kok,
13 Marnus Potgieter,
12 Ben Tapuai,
11 Makazole Mapimpi,
10 Boeta Chamberlain,
9 Jaden Hendrikse,
8 Phepsi Buthelezi,
7 Vincent Tshituka,
6 Siya Kolisi,
5 Hyron Andrews,
4 Eben Etzebeth,
3 Thomas du Toit (c),
2 Bongi Mbonambi,
1 Ox Nche.

Subs:

16 Kerron van Vuuren,
17 Ntuthuko Mchunu,
18 Carlu Sadie,
19 Reniel Hugo,
20 James Venter,
21 Sikhumbuzo Notshe,
22 Cameron Wright,
23 Anthony Volmink.
I'm not huge fans of the Sharks play making setup ITO 10, 12 and 13 but man, apart from that this team is stacked. Am, RJvR and/or Venter would be huge. Where is Bosch?

Bulls team to face Benetton:

15 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 14 David Kriel, 13 Stedman Gans, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Wandisile Simelane, 10 Chris Smith, 9 Embrose Papier, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Marco van Staden, 6 Marcell Coetzee (captain), 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Janko Swanepoel, 3 Francois Klopper, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp

Substitutes: 16 Jan-Hendrik Wessels, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Mornay Smith, 19 Walt Steenkamp, 20 WJ Steenkamp, 21 Zak Burger, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Stravino Jacobs

Could see this match go either way but still backing the Bulls if only because I expect they'll be fired up to avoid three straight losses.

I'm not huge fans of the Sharks play making setup ITO 10, 12 and 13 but man, apart from that this team is stacked. Am, RJvR and/or Venter would be huge. Where is Bosch?
Bosch is injured. But Chamberlain have been class. Our backline currently don't look that deadly but we have scored a ton of tries from first phase ball and through our wingers. Chamberlain Tapaui is starting to really click and open up defense.

Currently cannot see Bosch taking that 10 spot from Chamberlain.

I'll try to get more eyes on Chamberlain. So far mostly relied on extended highlights watching the Sharks.

Apparently Munster are going to send a seriously weakened side to Dublin. Crowley at 15, Ruadhan Quinn in the squad. It's a cynical move but I don't fault it tbh.

Apparently Munster are going to send a seriously weakened side to Dublin. Crowley at 15, Ruadhan Quinn in the squad. It's a cynical move but I don't fault it tbh.
So that'll be Sharks, Munster and Stormers (I assume but it wouldn't make sense not to do so given the draw) sending B teams. Makes sense in the greater scheme of things but handing the dominant side an easy run to topping the log with some of the stronger sides going at them halfheartedly.

Assuming the above is true, you can see the sense from a physical point-of-view in terms of resting players etc but you do have to wonder what it does to the mentality of a squad when you are essentially giving up on a match against a team who you would traditionally have seen as your biggest rivals.

Latest posts