• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC Div 2

mdaclarke

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Wales
Anybody have any idea what it is about? I assume there will be no promotion and relegation. Don't know what teams apart from the Cheetahs will be involved.

I am loving the URC

The Irish/South African matches look set to become real classic rivalries.

If they do want a 2nd division, one option would be to find another 4 teams and make it a 2 x 10 competition with 2 promotion and 2 relegation each season but no relegation from the 2nd tier.

I would add

1. Cheetahs
2. Griquas
3. 3rd Scottish Team
4. Not sure (5th Welsh/3rd Italian/7th South African)

Interesting. I'd been saying for years that Super Rugby needed to split into two tiers so we could've had all teams playing each other within each tier and ensure strength vs strength.

I could get on board ring-fencing 1 or 2 guaranteed spots for each country in the top tier. Otherwise like in SR we'd have had probs 1 Aussie team and no NZ sides in the bottom tier which carries its own problems. I'd do the same here and guarantee a place for say Benetton as an example even if they weren't (and they probably are) a top 10 team.

On top of promotion/relegation what I'd like to consider is the possibility for the top side or two from the bottom tier to play the bottom top tier teams about mid season. I think it'd make the bottom tier more relevant AND add some spice for top tier teams to stay off of the bottom rows. I can see how it can become a bit unfair if not properly implemented if it happened that say a mid table team had the unfortunate list of fixtures of facing all the top teams in the first half of the season and missing out on easier log points but that could be adjusted for to a large degree with pre-season rankings.

As for the teams. It'd be great if Scotland and Ireland could get more sides in. I've always felt SA can't manage more than 6 teams. Already, our teams will have to expand and add depth if we are to be competitive in both URC and Europe. Cheetahs are a logical 5th and its a shame they faced the boot for this season. With a 6th it becomes a bit tricky. The next best SA sides are traditionally the Griquas and Pumas though from a political and geographical stand point the Kings are the logical #6. Its just that from a purely rugby stand point they aren't there. They *should* be but in reality they simply aren't.

Apart from that would it make sense to move into other countries? Spain, Portugal, The Netherlands? I suppose ideally one would want two tiers of 12 at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'd been saying for years that Super Rugby needed to split into two tiers so we could've had all teams playing each other within each tier and ensure strength vs strength.

I could get on board ring-fencing 1 or 2 guaranteed spots for each country in the top tier. Otherwise like in SR we'd have had probs 1 Aussie team and no NZ sides in the bottom tier which carries its own problems. I'd do the same here and guarantee a place for say Benetton as an example even if they weren't (and they probably are) a top 10 team.

On top of promotion/relegation what I'd like to consider is the possibility for the top side or two from the bottom tier to play the bottom top tier teams about mid season. I think it'd make the bottom tier more relevant AND add some spice for top tier teams to stay off of the bottom rows. I can see how it can become a bit unfair if not properly implemented if it happened that say a mid table team had the unfortunate list of fixtures of facing all the top teams in the first half of the season and missing out on easier log points but that could be adjusted for to a large degree with pre-season rankings.

As for the teams. It'd be great if Scotland and Ireland could get more sides in. I've always felt SA can't manage more than 6 teams. Already, our teams will have to expand and add depth if we are to be competitive in both URC and Europe. Cheetahs are a logical 5th and its a shame they faced the boot for this season. With a 6th it becomes a bit tricky. The next best SA sides are traditionally the Griquas and Pumas though from a political and geographical stand point the Kings are the logical #6. Its just that from a purely rugby stand point they aren't there. They *should* be but in reality they simply aren't.

Apart from that would it make sense to move into other countries? Spain, Portugal, The Netherlands? I suppose ideally one would want two tiers of 12 at the end of the day.
I think from an Irish perspective the hope would be that the second tier would have Irish "A" teams. Compared to the old pro14 the URC has a few less matches. Irish teams have had to trim their squads in response which will probably be bad for future development of players. Could have a knock on effect on the national team then.

I can understand that. The Irish teams are so good and the entire country covered that I just never thought you would want more teams.

If it doesn't impact the level the current teams are playing at a 2nd tier would be perfect for more Irish sides.

From an SA perspective I just feel we need to consolidate what we have first and foremost. A strong team based in Port Elizabeth would be amazing as then all 6 our bigger urban centers would be represented but that will have to be a SARU project as the EPRU has shown themselves incapable.

This would definitely appear to be a reference to this tournament that was proposed next season with proposed sides from Spain, Georgia, Romania, Scotland, Italy and a joint Zimbabwe / Kenyan side if leaked or mocked up graphics are to be believed.

Latest posts