Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Friday, 10 June

Leinster v Bulls - RDS Arena: 20:35 (CAT) kickoff

Saturday, 11 June

Stormers v Ulster - Cape Town Stadium: 15:00 (CAT) kickoff

I'll update the OP with line-ups as these become available.

Very excited about the kick-off time for the Stormers. First game I have a chance of attending with my boy where we aren't barred by either restrictions or which would translate into a bed time I can't sell to my wife. Especially good as this is probably also the end of the road ITO SAn involvement in the tournament.

I'll update the OP with line-ups as these become available.

Very excited about the kick-off time for the Stormers. First game I have a chance of attending with my boy where we aren't barred by either restrictions or which would translate into a bed time I can't sell to my wife. Especially good as this is probably also the end of the road ITO SAn involvement in the tournament.
You think Ulster will win?

You think Ulster will win?
My heart says no but my head is leaning towards Ulster. That said given a kind bounce of the ball, perhaps the home field benefit (which I don't think we had vs Edinburgh) ITO the 50/50 calls and if we can sharpen up the accuracy of execution from last week we will make a game of it.

Ulster are so inconsistent and I'm not sure they are that big a step up from Edinburgh. Maybe 3-5 points better. So I should give Stormers the edge even though I think Ulster have turned a corner a little.

The Bulls match is very interesting. Leinster heavy favourites but the Bulls have tactical options in terms of grinding it out up front or being more adventurous. Chance of fairly bracing winds, but probably not, so I think Bulls could keep this close enough for 'bottle' to become a factor.

If Callum Reids last minute try against the Stormers had been allowed as it should have been this match would be in Ravenhill, wonder will that give them extra pep.

Ulster are so inconsistent and I'm not sure they are that big a step up from Edinburgh. Maybe 3-5 points better. So I should give Stormers the edge even though I think Ulster have turned a corner a little.

The Bulls match is very interesting. Leinster heavy favourites but the Bulls have tactical options in terms of grinding it out up front or being more adventurous. Chance of fairly bracing winds, but probably not, so I think Bulls could keep this close enough for 'bottle' to become a factor.
Maybe its just that the games I've watched they've looked ominous and we've been hit and miss ourselves even if on a few nights where we havn't been on song we've still managed a W.
If Callum Reids last minute try against the Stormers had been allowed as it should have been this match would be in Ravenhill, wonder will that give them extra pep.
In my mind that non-try not being awarded is a case of sanity prevailing in an indirect fashion. Even if according to the wording of the ref it was technically incorrect. IMO semantics shouldn't trump common sense on a rugby field. Makes me think of those games of 30 seconds where the questioner says to name the Aussie capital and her partner says Sydney and both being incorrect the answer is what the questioner wanted. Correct even if technically incorrect (Sydney being the word on the card the questioner is asking for) but I am rambling now, sorry.

But yes, this game will have some added spice precisely because of that try/non-try, the differing views on it and its implications. I even called that a rematch will be likely for the play-offs in that match thread if I remember correctly.

Definitely extra spice for this game after last one.
Looking forward to watching it on a few screens at Ravenhill on Saturday.
Its a game we "could" win, BUT!!!!!

Leinster are 16.5 point favorites and Stormers are point and a half. I don't see Leinster winning by more than two scores but I think they'll win. I'd feel confident about Stormers in a home semi though.

16.5 point handicap for Leinster seems fair. 1.5 for the Stormers is near enough to a coin flip which also seems fair. I'm glad to read most have us as slight favourites though I don't see it myself even if I think we are certainly in with a chance. I'd like to see the line-up first. I seriously hope we ditch the 6-2 split in favor of having experienced campaigners on the bench for the backs. With Willemse there one can risk a 6-2 bench especially considering Libbok and Gelant can also cover multiple positions but without him I wouldn't.

In any event it sounds like young Mngomezulu will be in the mix again. Getting in ahead of Du Plessis, De Jongh or Smit the coaching staff must see something in him. I'll keep my eyes open. He looked solid enough on defense if not spectacular. A bit so-so on attack in my view though- think it was Zas who picked up a very poor pass.

Edit: So I've wtached extended highlights of Ulster v Munster and our game vs them again. I have to say I am feeling ever so slightly more confident though its still a 50/50 in my book and with Ulster's centers being one of their biggest threats I have to say losing Willemse is doubly a blow for us.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220609-123904_Instagram.jpg

Starting Ross Byrne is inviting the Bulls to have a go at us. I'd have confidence in three other players ahead of him at 10.

Looks like Keenan and Lowe had been playing injured as rumours suggested.

A bit more nervous about this now.

Big test for McCarthy hopefully he can nail down his seat on the plane to NZ.

Team should be good enough to do a job but there's definitely a few areas for the Bulls to exploit, especially if the rain comes as predicted.

Bulls:
15 Canan Moodie, 14 David Kriel, 13 Cornal Hendricks, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Madosh Tambwe, 10 Chris Smith, 9 Zak Burger, 8 Elrigh Louw, 7 Arno Botha, 6 Marcell Coetzee (captain), 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Walt Steenkamp, 3 Mornay Smith, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp
Substitutes: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Robert Hunt, 19 Janko Swanepoel, 20 WJ Steenkamp, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Kurt-Lee Arendse

Not a bad Bulls side. But at home Leinster will be big favorites. Front row Leinster by a mile, 2nd row is close. Experience probably favors Leinster but I'm backing form and giving 2nd row to the Bulls. Back row Leinster shades it but only just. Halves and centers about even afaic but then back three again for Leinster by a whisker. Home advantage, experience and cohesion all in Leinsters favor as well.

Not a bad Bulls side. But at home Leinster will be big favorites. Front row Leinster by a mile, 2nd row is close. Experience probably favors Leinster but I'm backing form and giving 2nd row to the Bulls. Back row Leinster shades it but only just. Halves and centers about even afaic but then back three again for Leinster by a whisker. Home advantage, experience and cohesion all in Leinsters favor as well.
Centers even? That's a very hard sell.

Speaking of centres, is Mapoe injured? I always felt his role in the great Lions side was a bit overlooked.

Latest posts