• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA Rugby backed professional league to be announced soon...

Sorry, but I am "just" a Rugby fan. So looking for a coach on Facebook looked somewhat inappropriate to me.
But it was probably wrong to compare this league to NBA, NHL etc.
But still looks a little bit half-hearted and inexpert to me.

Fair enough, but I was thinking that if you are looking for the best candidates possible, you might either get them directly from a FB page, or someone who knows someone who is suitably qualified/experienced may see it and pass it on.

It's hard to compare it to NBA, NHL etc, because they are already well established competitions/products.

Anyway, regardless, I hope this league successfully gets of the ground and runs; it should really boost rugby in North America

I agree with pretty much all you have said; I can understand the rush for 2016 too, as they'll want to maximise the spin off exposure of the Olympic Sevens ... this should be great for Rugby in North America, as it provides a viable alternative to playing in the UK/Europe or getting a Sevens contract to make a living playing rugby, and should strengthen the player strength domestically in the years to come.

The big questions for me is how much money is involved for player recruitment, and how long is the season.

I'd imagine that they will advertise using other avenues as well, plus they'll be a fair amount of head hunting as the various teams and locations become confirmed; advertising on a FB page dedicated to rugby seems pretty smart to me.

I've read (can't remember if their own posts or elsewhere) $25000 to $40000. And it's set to be a ten game season, home and away, and a championship game. Running April- July with a break for June internationals.

I too can't imagine that they will only advertise on FB, or that it's even their primary strategy. It's probably more in place to gain visibility from anyone they have missed in their other search methods.

I wish jed york would put a team in the new comp since the niners have really slumped, its great we have a good story with jarryd hayne onboard so I hope this new coach uses hayne to his best abilities, back to rugby yay cant wait to watch and yes this will awaken the sleeping giant, Carlin and Perry dont realise what their pioneering endeavours have begun for many african american football sprinters/runners can do in this sport, its just gonna get faster and more nfl influence of running hard into defenders that much challenging.

Last edited:
According to their page on facebook, Ohio will be the fourth team for PRO Rugby Championship

We are happy to announce Ohio as our fourth team for PRO Rugby's upcoming inaugural season. Ohio will play its matches in the city of Obetz. We thank the City of Obetz for their help in making a team in Ohio possible. We are excited about building the stadium experience and hopefully this model will allow for expansion in other areas of the country that do not have existing venues that fit the rugby match criteria.

Sounds like a A good move to me.

Close to a major rugby Academy (Tiger rugby academy), it has good railway connections, close enough for the Cleveland and Cincinnati areas to support IMO.

Wonder where next one will be though.

Should be between Colorado or Chicago IMO.

I don't know much about it but both of those cities are hours away. Obetz is an incredibly small place, 4500 people - smaller than my village back in Northern Ireland and currently in Wales. Surely this place will not have the infrastructure to support a professional team that could grow in a highly competitive American market and where are they going to play?

What is the Tiger Rugby Academy?

** With a google search it appears this Tiger academy is a private company that is charging a massive amount for something these teams will do anyway. I am very sceptical of this location.

Last edited:
Know a guy who coaches college rugby in America and he's as confused by the location as everyone else is.

Only 20mins away from the Ohio State.

A huge American Football college (Buckeyes) and seem to have an excellent rugby department (at a glance).

I don't know much about it but both of those cities are hours away. Obetz is an incredibly small place, 4500 people - smaller than my village back in Northern Ireland and currently in Wales. Surely this place will not have the infrastructure to support a professional team that could grow in a highly competitive American market and where are they going to play?

Columbus (City) has pop: of over 880,000.

Also the MLS team (Columbus Crew) have their training facilities at Obetz.

Also doesn't have a NFL team.

Last edited:
I have been informed.

Feeling more confident about that placement now.

I'm a little bit confused, as they wrote on their Facebook page that they will start a "team naming contest" DURING their first season... :mellow:

Latest posts