• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA Rugby backed professional league to be announced soon...

How is that Ohio has played 11 matches and no one else has played more than 9, with Denver at only 8? I get that a bye week will create a slight imbalance, but this is crazy. How much will it impact the end of the season when they have extra rest but also possibly rust from not playing as much? Will the string of matches without rest impact Denver in the final match?

That is strange given that the regular season is only 12 games long. A shame as most of what I've seen in relation to this league is fairly promising early steps. Decent strips (some arguably better than Pro 12 or SR) decent names, good quality highlights and commentary that uses correct terminology and realistically small stadia to hopefully help cultivate an atmosphere. If it can break even and the plans to expand into Canada take hold then I'd be cautiously optimistic.

I think the small number of teams has forced the relatively short season. There aren't any playoffs either I think for that same reason.

The quality of the rugby has been mixed but theres always been a lot of effort, running rugby and - most importantly - tries. Holding it in the late Spring and early Summer has paid dividends for PRO though it appears the weather for some of the games is too hot for spectators. Always seem to see umbrellas in the stands when the sun it out even at Denver or Ohio games.

The owner of PRO did mention that they are just about breaking even and that they've received interest from sponsors for next season. He didn't go into detail about the planned expansion into the rest of America and Canada though which is slightly worrying...

Yeah. Saw this interview below from last month and he only said he was in discussions with two possible Canadian teams. He seems quite understated and I think his approach of starting small is sensible. Unfortunate that the teams with the best stadia, San Diego and Sacramento have the least quality. Any final between Denver and Ohio is not going to look like a great spectacle for sponsors.

Looking at videos I think the Sacramento crowds (largest at 3000+) might have gone down after a string of losses. The crowd do sound really into it and it's not too one sided. I've no idea if it'll succeed or fail but it is such an opportunity to capture failed by high quality NFL talent that would give something new a go rather than give up and resign themselves to stacking shelves etc. At the least I'm glad this guy is giving it a shot. If it takes off he'll make a fortune.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thobile...g-professional-rugby-to-america/#61e0b06462a2

Watched this past weekend. SF Rush really did a number on SD Breakers and it looks like they're working out how to tailor their "run from anywhere" game to be effective. They're still seriously vulnerable at the breakdown and their refusal to kick at times borders on the suicidal.

Denver beat Sacramento and it looks like Denver's new ground was packed. Must be almost 2,000 people watching a game now. Not sure how this will affect Sacramento though, might well be for the best that their home games are all done and dusted now...

Yeah, SF are pretty easy on the eye with their kamikaze style. Their game against Denver this weekend should be worth a watch. Then the following week Ohio hosting Denver for, as luck would have it, the ***le.

just been watching some highlights of some of these games and there are some great tries being scored. perhaps some of the pro 12 teams could have a pre-season friendly against the new american sides to get more interest

just been watching some highlights of some of these games and there are some great tries being scored. perhaps some of the pro 12 teams could have a pre-season friendly against the new american sides to get more interest

Yeah. Its a real advertisement for what the game can look like when it's not played on a wet and windy winters night in Wales/Scotland/Ireland - even by not top class talent. It massively helps ball control and although the defences are very weak, the offloading and passing practice can only be a good thing for the Eagles.

Both games this week were pretty entertaining and close (although Sacramento vs San Diego was obviously lower quality). Bizarrely the Sacramento crowd seems to have gone back up again (despite a losing streak) and the SF crowd seems pretty small (even though they've hit a hot streak). Go figure. Settled on Sacramento as my team purely because of Mirco Bergimasco, gamely playing at 10. The worst use of a Bergamasco since older brother Mauro (flanker) was put in at scrum half by Italy. :huh:

Quite looking forward to the winner takes all season finisher Denver @ Ohio next week. I think Ohio will win it.

SF will struggle numbers wise what with the Warriors, 59ers and Giants.

Where as Sacramento outside the Kings haven't really got another pro team.

Yeh the idea of going towards the ITM cup players is clever, gives them a chance to experience a different league etc without missing the competition, similar to Aus players who are a level below super rugby.

SA is obvious esp with the politics involved.

Also find the idea of sending Senior Academy players from the Uk there interesting.

Chaotic conclusion of the season and showing why an actual final was pretty essential. Well worth seeking out the second half on Facebook or YouTube to see how it unfolded. Good crowd, very exciting and hopefully a sign of progress for next season.

Organisers interviewed and saying the aim is 8 teams next season. One from Canada and two based anywhere east of Denver. Nothing signed or finalised.

This was a bad weekend for the most crucial game of the year in this league. Most rugby fans in north eastern USA and eastern Canada are in lake placid for the can ams.

Clearly a negotiating stance from Schoninger but if the relationship with the US union has soured so much then its hard to see in his as anything other than RIP PRO.

http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/down-goes-pro

I only hope Pro12 aren't behind some kind of sabotage by making promises to the US and Canadian unions.

It sounds like the pro 12 have been trying to find loopholes in USA agreement with pro rugby.

If so my respect for pro12 will prob go completely.

Can't see a proper American League ever happening if this goes ***s up.

Last edited:
i don't think America will ever get into rugby really.

Pro 12 will not work for USA.
Super rugby has enough problems but it's schedule could fit.

Americans really just don't care about rugby, it's interesting enough that one off games work but that's it IMO.

World Rugby needs to get more international games played in America and all over not just Chicago if it is serious about expanding into it.

Can see League getting the jump now.

Latest posts