• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA Rugby backed professional league to be announced soon...

Is there any real possibility to join SR or Pro12? I fear not, which makes their concern about exclusivity and stuff quite hilarious. Why did they started anyway if there was anothe prospect to join another competition?

I think so, both seem to think that America will make them loads. Pro12 have been actively looking at it. Junk there is every opportunity that Pro12 or super rugby will try to expand into America sooner rather than later.

Pro Rugby started becuase it had exclusivity (or so it seems) so there wasn't an issue of another comp coming in.

To utilise the North American market pro 12 or super rugby will have to accommodate them, not integrate them into their systems and expect them to fall in like Japan, Italy, Argentina. Aka not national union centric, with the international game subsidising the teams. They will have to be open and attractive to private investors. There's no way USA rugby or Canada can afford pro teams by themselves. Not just in terms of being open to private investors but also the running and direction of the leagues. Rugby union must be one the only sports where the majority of comps run their leagues in the name of development instead of profit.

Georgia has loads more on pitch talent and ability currently than the US the rankings prove it.

Culturally why is Italy in it?

Yes there is literally loads of millionaires in America but how many like rugby and how many are like Doug?

And why would any sports board aster in America pay loads for Pro12 rugby? It clashes with NHL, NFL and NBA aswell as the major college sports and European football leagues and it is in a crappy time slot whoever buys it will be on a bargain deal much like the AP deal similar reason why I can't see a major sponsorship deal happening.

Rugby hasn't got a draw player like Lomu currently esp in the NH, they isn't a messy or Ronaldo.

I think you are overestimating the money America could bring in for the pro 12, or the market. I just don't see the potential in a us pro 12 franchise and feel it would be a waste of time I'm not saying Georgia is the answer but maybe they should prob be looking at the European market more than American market such as Spain or trying to develop in Germany and Netehrlands.

I think it would be difficult to raise much money but I think it would be harder for Georgians. I'm skeptical of having American teams in the pro12 but I think it is possible and they could be a success. Without know the facts, all we have is guesswork. I wouldn't rule anyone out or in at this stage.

As for sports broadcaster paying for it, the pro12 will be on in the afternoon or morning, American time. Plenty of free space to fill. This side of the atlantic there is broadcasting space to fill after 11pm so they'd welcome some late night rugby. Usually flicking through sky sports after 11pm they have repeats of old matches from the 90s.

As for culturally, its not a deal breaker but it does help in some ways.

Car said:
Romania, Georgia, Spain would be more obvious choices for the Pro 12 than the US due to their location. Maybe also here in Germany, they did sign a deal with DAZN after all which promote their rugby quite nicely. Time zones wouldn't be a problem for those countries or not as much, travelling would be cheaper.

In terms of location, Romania and Spain yes. Germany is closer than Italy. Georgia is closer than the USA but both are long flights.

I didn't know about DAZN so I looked it up. Its a good idea and great for rugby fans. Hopefully something like it will come to Ireland.

Greed is killing the USA rugby IMO.

And it's greed from all angles unfortunately.

Yup. Nobody emerges with credit from this episode and I have zero confidence in the USAR or the alternstive Major Championshiop being a success given what I heard from Tony Rindell (who I consider to think far less coherently than Schoninger).

People will make their own mind up about the negative stories around PRO but it managed to get a larger crowd for a game in Ohio than the USA union could muster for the recent internationals for the Americas Rugby Chamiponship of Pro12 gets in Italy. This is despite Ohio being somewhere where rugby is barely known, and there being little or no conventional TV coverage or advertising. We are also moving further and further away from Rio and the publicity that that brought.

Hopefully my pessimism is misplaced and any solution incorporates Canada as there are signs the sport is close to death there.

It's Ohio... if there's physical contact involved, people will watch it.

Latest posts