• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA Trianing Squad

Melhor Time

Bench Player
A squad of 50 named including an international call up to former USA under 19 player James Paterson who plays Super Rugby for the Highlanders.

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2011/06/usa-name-50-man-training-squad.html

USA Eagles national coach, Eddie O´Sullivan has named a prelimerary squad of 50 players which will be cut to 30 for New Zealand 2011. The squad will train together and play three tests in August before the cut-off-date of August 22nd when all teams must submit their Rugby World Cup squad of 30 players to the IRB. O´Sullivan´s squad of 5o players includes 36 forwards and 24 backs including players based in England, France, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and from all corners of the United States. The side will be captained by backrower, Todd Clever.

The USA players have an exciting six weeks ahead before the first international vs Canada in Toronto. The schedule of three matches in fifteen days is ideal preperation for New Zealand 2011.

Rugby World Cup Warm-Up Schedule

August 6 Canada vs USA, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

August 13 USA vs Canada, Glendale, Colorado, USA
August 21 Japan vs USA, Tokyo, Japan

Forwards

Inaki Basauri (L' Aquila, Italy)
Chris Biller (San Francisco Golden Gate)
Mark Bokhoven (Denver Barbarians)
Ryan Chapman (Utah Warriors)
Todd Clever (Suntory Sungoliath, Japan)
Pat Danahy (Life University)
Cameron Dolan (Life University) Eric Fry (Las Vegas Blackjacks)
JJ Gagiano (Univ. of Cape Town, South Africa)
Matt Hawkins (Belmont Shore)
Nic Johnson (L' Aquila, Italy)
Will Johnson (London Irish, England)
Tom Katzfey (New York Athletic Club)
Danny LaPrevotte (San Francisco Golden Gate)
Scott LaValla (Stade Français, France)
Mike MacDonald (Leeds Carnegie, England)
Samu Manoa (Northampton Saints, England)
Brian McClenahan (Olympic Club)
Mate Moeakiola (Bobigny 93, France)
Alec Parker (Glendale)
Shawn Pittman (London Welsh, England)
Anthony Purpura (Boston Rugby)
Hayden Smith (Saracens, England)
Louis Stanfill (Mogliano, Italy)
Phil Thiel (Life University)
John van der Giessen (Utah Warriors)

Backs:

Paul Emerick (Life University)
Tai Enosa (Belmont Shore)
Troy Hall (New York Athletic Club)
Colin Hawley (Olympic Club)
Nese Malifa (Glendale)
Taku Ngwenya (Biarritz, France)
Folau Niua (San Francisco Golden Gate)
Thretton Palamo (University of Utah)
Mike Palefau (Utah Warriors)
James Paterson (Otago Highlanders, New Zealand)
Mike Petri (New York Athletic Club)
Volney Rouse (San Francisco Golden Gate)
Blaine Scully (University of California - Berkeley)
Robbie Shaw (Bristol, England)
Junior Sifa (Nottingham, England)
Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins)
Roland Suniula (Boston Rugby)
Shalom Suniula (Unattached)
Kevin Swiryn (Agen, France)
Zack Test (Unattached)
Pate Tuilevuka (Old Puget Sound Beach)
Seta Tuilevuka (Montpellier, France)
Tim Usasz (Nottingham, England)
Chris Wyles (Saracens, England)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see Paterson called up; he's had some real problems with injuries over the last couple of years, but he has a lot of talent. His try against the Crusaders this year (when he beat Israel Dagg on the touchline with no room to move) was one of the highlights of the Highlanders season. He got a torn pectoral muscle half way through the Super Rugby season, so hopefully he has recovered from this injury.

Squad Cut to 36

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2011/07/usa-name-rugby-world-cup-build-up-squad.html

USA Eagles Head Coach, Eddie O’Sullivan, has taken another step closer to confirming his official squad of 30 players for New Zealand 2011 with today´s announcement of a squad of 36 for the final stages of preparation. Of the players selected, several are currently training in Glendale, Colorado with strength & conditioning coach Dave Williams, with the rest of the squad set to join them on July 31. The team will then travel to Toronto, Ontario, Canada for the first of three Rugby World Cup warm-up matches, the first being vs Canada at Toronto´s BMO Field on August 6. Following that the USA will then host Canada at Infinity Park in Glendale, Colorado on August 13. Both matches are expected to attract big crowds with USA Rugby and Rugby Canada both hoping for full houses. In the days before the match in the USA, the Glendale Raptors will take on a USA Select team on August 10 also at Infinity Park. The USA Eagles will then travel to Tokyo for their final match against Japan on August 21.

The Eagles last played Canada in 2009 as part of the RWC qualifying process, winning the first clash 12-6, and going down 41-18 in the second. Canada is currently ranked 16th on the IRB world rankings, one place ahead of the USA. Japan has improved tremendously over the last few years, moving into 12th place on the IRB world rankings and are intending on leaving a mark at New Zealand 2011. All three international matches will be broadcast live in the United States on USA Rugby's broadcast partner, NBC Universal.

One important omission from the squad is San Francisco Golden Gate lock Samu Manoa, who has signed a professional contract with English Premiership Club, Northampton Saints and will not feature at New Zealand 2011. A clause in his contract prevents him from playing at Rugby World Cup 2011. The USA Eagles squad consists of 18 forwards and 18 backs, and is boosted by the availability of several professionals that did not take part in the recent Churchill Cup such as Taku Ngwenya, Hayden Smith and Chris Wyles.

USA EAGLES Build-Up Squad

Forwards

Iñaki Basauri (L' Aquila, Italy)
Chris Biller (San Francisco Golden Gate)
Todd Clever (Suntory Sungoliath, Japan)
Pat Danahy (Life University)
Cameron Dolan (Life University)
Eric Fry (Las Vegas Blackjacks)
JJ Gagiano (Univ. of Cape Town, South Africa)
Nic Johnson (Unattached)
Will Johnson (London Welsh, England)
Scott LaValla (Stade Francais, France)
Mike MacDonald (Leeds Carnegie, England)
Brian McClenahan (Olympic Club)
Mate Moeakiola (Bobigny 93, France)
Shawn Pittman (London Welsh, England)
Hayden Smith (Saracens, England)
Louis Stanfill (Mogliano, Italy)
Phil Thiel (Life University)
John van der Giessen (Utah Warriors)

Backs

Paul Emerick (Life University)
Tai Enosa (Belmont Shore)
Troy Hall (New York Athletic Club)
Colin Hawley (Olympic Club)
Nese Malifa (Glendale)
Taku Ngwenya (Biarritz, France)
Mike Palefau (Utah Warriors)
James Paterson (Highlanders, New Zealand)
Mike Petri (New York Athletic Club)
Blaine Scully (University of California - Berkeley)
Robbie Shaw (Bristol, England)
Junior Sifa (Nottingham, England)
Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins)
Roland Suniula (Boston Rugby)
Kevin Swiryn (Agen, France)
Zack Test (Unattached)
Tim Usasz (Nottingham, England)
Chris Wyles (Saracens, England)

Rugby World Cup Build-Up Schedule
August 6, 2011, 2.00 P.M: Canada vs USA (BMO Field, Toronto, Canada)
August 10, 2011, 7.00 P.M: USA Select vs Glendale Raptors (Infinity Park, Glendale, CO)
August 13, 2011, 7.15 P.M: USA vs Canada (Infinity Park, Glendale, CO)
August 21, 2011, 6.00 P.M: Japan vs USA (Prince Chichbu Memorial Rugby Ground, Tokyo, Japan)

New Zealand 2011 SCHEDULE

September 11, 2011: USA vs. Ireland (New Plymouth)
September 15, 2011: USA vs. Russia (New Plymouth)
September 23, 2011: USA vs. Australia (Wellington)
September 27, 2011: USA vs. Italy (Nelson)

Glad to see Paul Emerick is still around and still getting picked for his country, loved him during his stint at the Dragons. I was wondering
if our American posters here on the forum (or anybody who might know for that matter) can help me out. Quite a few years ago now, when the Dragons first played Overmach Parma in our Heineken Cup qualifying match and we lost I remember Emerick bursting through and
scoring the winning try for Overmach thus ending our hopes. But there was another american player playing for Overmach, I can't remember his exact position but he was a forward, a massive bloke and half cast (if I remember right). He was a really nice man and he picked me out of a crowd, gave me his match jersey and shook my hand.

I'll never forget that, though I can't recall his name. Just wondering if anybody knows who he might be and if he is still playing.

no Tuilevuka who plays for Montpellier, I heard he wasn't great for them last season but I still would have thought he was good enough to get in the USA team

I don't think the loss of Manoa will hurt them that much, probably is the USA's best position at lock, and Hayden Smith is better anyway

but regardless, Northampton should be ashamed of themselves for encouraging him to ditch his country

MichaelBoard

You must be talking about Albert Tuipulotu who is definetly half-cast. He is from San Mateo, California and played for Parma and also spent time in France with Beziers in the Pro d2.

Below is a player profile. Let me know if its the right guy.

http://web.usarugby.org/cgi-bin/viadesto/natteams/mnt/15ProfileDetail.pl?playerId=307

no Tuilevuka who plays for Montpellier, I heard he wasn't great for them last season but I still would have thought he was good enough to get in the USA team

I don't think the loss of Manoa will hurt them that much, probably is the USA's best position at lock, and Hayden Smith is better anyway

but regardless, Northampton should be ashamed of themselves for encouraging him to ditch his country

Seta Tuiveluka is injured. He missed the Top 14 Semi Final and Final after doing wll in the Barrage but getting hurt. Only now does it turn out that it was a bad injury!

I agree with you on both points about Manoa btw.

Quite a few other the SUA players should head to pro clubs for the 2011-2012 season. Some pros should be signed for bigger teams too. Scouts should eye up the likes of Lou Stanfill, Pat Danahy, Nic Johnson, Shawn Pittman, John van der Giessen, Paul Emerick, Mike Petri and Zack Test.

now if the US could only get serious about their national program they may just start being competitive.

MichaelBoard

You must be talking about Albert Tuipulotu who is definetly half-cast. He is from San Mateo, California and played for Parma and also spent time in France with Beziers in the Pro d2.

Below is a player profile. Let me know if its the right guy.

http://web.usarugby.org/cgi-bin/viadesto/natteams/mnt/15ProfileDetail.pl?playerId=307

Seta Tuiveluka is injured. He missed the Top 14 Semi Final and Final after doing wll in the Barrage but getting hurt. Only now does it turn out that it was a bad injury!

I agree with you on both points about Manoa btw.

Quite a few other the SUA players should head to pro clubs for the 2011-2012 season. Some pros should be signed for bigger teams too. Scouts should eye up the likes of Lou Stanfill, Pat Danahy, Nic Johnson, Shawn Pittman, John van der Giessen, Paul Emerick, Mike Petri and Zack Test.

Yep thats him, thanks for finding that out for me, hes a top bloke. Is he still playing? My big regret is I gave away his jersey to my Nan's uncle who is from Italy (and still lives there) as a present years ago, I only wish I kept hold of it as I don't think he realised that it was an actual player's jersey.
The day Overmach Parma won the players were giving away all of their kit and just stripping, so I went away with Albert Tuipulotu's jersey as well as the team shorts and socks.
I wonder if he has twitter or anything like that? Would love to contact him and ask him if he remembers

Latest posts