• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA vs Tonga

R

RC

We've yet to see what Tonga are capable of in this world cup, but we know USA can put up a fair old fight.
So the question is: Is USA gonna play to Tonga's tough game?

Discussions below...

To be honest this is the only chance tonga have at winning a game at the world cup, i hope they do win...weve heard alot of talk from the coach and hopefully they do...it will be really interesting as theres about 4 tongans in the usa team....the only thing thats preventing the tongans from any chance is the discipline....i think theyve really worked on their fitness but only time will tell

Expect to see a few yellow cards

Prediction; i reckon the USA will spring a surprise..[im only saying it coz i dont want to be shamed if they beat tonga haha]

players to watch:

Tonga

8. Finau Maka

9. Soane Havea

15. Vungakoto Lilo - Very Exciting Player

USA

10. Mike Hercus

Dont Know any others....

Watching this game at the moment.. Tonga lead 13-3 at the half. It's amazing the general skills a lot of these players lack.

Watching the game right now, I don't agree with the US deciding to go for the 5 pointer in the first half. They should of went for the penalty kick, oh well we will see how this will affect the final score.

May I just say at that 3rd Tongan Try... Wow, just, Wow.

Especially for a lock. :eek:

Watching the americans play inspired me to this

usarugbyaz3.jpg

Seriously, they were in the possession of the ball for so long and couldn't capitalise on it. Great defensive display from the tongans, they muscled the usa down on every breakdown, plus awesome counter runs for tries.

I think our lack of professional players showed big time when we got down to the Tonga 10 meter line. Still, the US has put up much more of a fight than I thought we would in this cup. I hope they finish strong and give Samoa and South Africa all we have.

I must say I'm proud of my country so far.

I haven’t watched this one yet as it came on at 4:30 AM and I was done with work at about 2 AM. I tried to get up when the alarm went off but...... I guess I’ll have to watch the replay this afternoon. I am hugely disappointed that the Eagles haven’t won as it was probably our best chance to win at least once this WC. I hope there are some positives to talk about once I’ve watched the match. BTW I never bought into “the Eagles as favorites†twaddle.

when ever the tongans made a break, they didn't look for support or start thinking what they should do next, they almost took it up upon themselves!

greedyness, separates the good players from the great players.

I've watched every game start to finish so far in this world cup and I must say the worst player in the whole tournament is the American openside flanker, Todd Clever. He is garbage. All he ever does is accumulate penalties when he's playing defence and lose possession, whether by kick or drop ball on offence. On top of that he complains constantly.

As for the US, they certainly played some pretty decent defence again. Gaps all over the place but they closed them pretty quickly and Tonga never really took advantage of those, much like England didn't but Tonga had better hands and better execution. I think what the US is missing is dynamic back play. That's what's holding back Canada back and I think that's holding the USA back as well.

Tonga had some good stretches in this game, but I will say I was shocked by their skills and their backplay. Very good. Normally it's just a bash 'em up 8 man rugby.

Finally watched the replay. What a terrible start for the Eagles in this match. We had our chances in the second half but were just lacking the quality in that final pass or that quick decision. Overall, I think it is fair to say that Tonga was much better on offense when they had the ball. They were able to string together three and four passes in a row and generally managed to support each other. The Eagles looked a long way from producing a flowing offensive style of play. That being said we could have and should have done better. We had chances to win this match. That last try for Tonga was the result of some of the worst tackling I’ve seen thus far in this WC and this is supposed to be a strong part of our game. :wall:

I've watched every game start to finish so far in this world cup and I must say the worst player in the whole tournament is the American openside flanker, Todd Clever. He is garbage. All he ever does is accumulate penalties when he's playing defence and lose possession, whether by kick or drop ball on offence. On top of that he complains constantly.

I finally saw the Tonga match and based on what I've seen previously I must agree that Todd Clever does alot of damage. I won't say he's the worst player in the whole tournament though.

He was very fortunate not to get a yellow, actually this is one of the few matches I've seen him play in and not get a yellow.

The U.S. needs less bruisers and sprinters and should go for people who can finish off, create gaps, get in a position to accept a good pass and pass. Not just guys who can bench 450 pounds and run fast. That's why they can't win, but can only compete.

There's dozens of guys who would be better fit for the us national team. Even though they may be smaller and not as fast and may not stand out as much in local club matches, they will be able to compete better at the highest level where their opponents have equal muscle.