• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vern Cotter as next Scotland Head Coach

Will

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Glasgow
Announced today that Vern Cotter is to be the new Scotland head coach. As typical with Scotland however it's never quite as straight forward as it could be. Cotter is going to remain as head coach of Clermont Auvergne until his contract expires in June 2014, at which point he'll take up his role with Scotland. Until then Scott Johnson will remain as acting head coach of the team as well as director of rugby.

I personally am very happy with this announcement. There's no denying that Scottish Rugby Union has shown their ambition with this appointment. Clearly they really wanted Cotter that badly that they were willing to wait another year before he'd take up his role. I'm not that dissappointed with the idea of Johnson reamining in charge of the team until that point. I think the Scottish fans up here have really taken to him and his particular brand of coaching.

http://sru-web01.dc2.iomarthosting.com/news/13/05/27/vern-cotter-be-next-scotland-coach

I think this is good news for Scotland and Clermont. Scotland get the best coach they've had in years and Clermont may be able to bring in a guy who can take them to the next level ala Checka to Schmidt for Leinster, would also be good in Clermont got a HC next year for him and just for being so unlucky this season.

I'm not sure what to make of this appointment. It certainly shows that Scotland are ambitious, taking a highly paid coach from a top club. On the flip side, what happens if Scott Johnson has a very successful year in charge? What if other highly qualified coaches come available in the next 12 months? Will Scotland regret jumping the gun?

Vern Cotter has a good coaching record and deserves credit for bringing Clermont near the summit of European rugby. It remains to be seen just how good he is without ASM's bottomless cheque book. His current team really should have won the Top 14 more than once and added a Heineken Cup during his tenure.

I think this is good news for Scotland and Clermont. Scotland get the best coach they've had in years and Clermont may be able to bring in a guy who can take them to the next level ala Checka to Schmidt for Leinster, would also be good in Clermont got a HC next year for him and just for being so unlucky this season.

Andy Robinson was a Heineken Cup winning head coach (Cotter not done that), and as head coach has a total of 6 wins from 13 against the big three Tri Nations opposition whilst coaching England and Scotland, a far better ratio than the Lions have had in recent tours and also far better than the 1 win in 21 attempts by Gatland coaching Ireland and Wales. Also coached England to the World Cup win as forwards coach. So in terms of CV, Robinson's is more impressive than Cotter. They also had Geech relatively recently in charge as well.

I'm not sure what to make of this appointment. It certainly shows that Scotland are ambitious, taking a highly paid coach from a top club. On the flip side, what happens if Scott Johnson has a very successful year in charge? What if other highly qualified coaches come available in the next 12 months? Will Scotland regret jumping the gun?

Vern Cotter has a good coaching record and deserves credit for bringing Clermont near the summit of European rugby. It remains to be seen just how good he is without ASM's bottomless cheque book. His current team really should have won the Top 14 more than once and added a Heineken Cup during his tenure.

Scott Johnson will still be involved apparently as "Director of Rugby" with Cotter as "Head Coach". Not really sure of the difference between the roles to be honest, but it would solve that "successful year in charge" problem as he'll still be there.

As Draggs will explain, you got to feel sorry for Cotter that Johnson will still be involved. Wouldn't surprise me if Johnson sabotages Cotter's reign and then walks away to the next team like he normally does.

Is it likely that Cotter wants the AB job someday and is going for Scotland to get some international coaching experience?

The Scottish head coach must be one of the most difficult around - I wonder how much they can improve on Robinsons win records against the SH sides... Unless someone puts a load of money into Scottish rugby especially development I cant see them getting much better/them having much room for expansion - especially considering the below par coaching France, Eng and Ireland have had, its going to be very difficult for Scotland/Cotter if they all suddenly start firing on full cylinders.

I think this is a good move by Scotland. Johnson will be focusing on developing Scottish rugby from grassroots up to the top level. AKA he is the CEO, he looks to the future of Scottish rugby, while Cotter will be dealing with the Day 2 Day and yearly issues.

I also think Scotland jumped the gun as a tactical play. Clermont have deep pockets and were only going to give Cotter away early for a big payout. That being said though, if Clermont have the chance of getting a great coach in the next year, they will probably take him and lett Cotter go, or play a smaller role at Clermont. This option is highly likley, which could mean Cotter having more time with Scotland.

Is it likely that Cotter wants the AB job someday and is going for Scotland to get some international coaching experience?

The Scottish head coach must be one of the most difficult around - I wonder how much they can improve on Robinsons win records against the SH sides... Unless someone puts a load of money into Scottish rugby especially development I cant see them getting much better/them having much room for expansion - especially considering the below par coaching France, Eng and Ireland have had, its going to be very difficult for Scotland/Cotter if they all suddenly start firing on full cylinders.

Almost certainly - and it's a very contested position at the moment, with Dave Rennie, Joe Schmidt, Warren Gatland and Robbie Deans all likely to apply as well.

Almost certainly - and it's a very contested position at the moment, with Dave Rennie, Joe Schmidt, Warren Gatland and Robbie Deans all likely to apply as well.

Schmidt in charge of the AB backs would be sweet.

Whatever you do don't appoint the latter two on that list unless you want either a) predictable bosh ball with giant backs just out of school and constant losses to Australia or b) a coach who gets at loggerheads and forces out half your best players.

I wouldn't mind Gatland, honestly. I'd rather it was someone who was currently coaching in NZ, however. At the moment Rennie would probably be my first pick, then Gatland, but that could change depending on how things go for Schmidt - there's a big difference between coaching an average team with limited resources (such as Scotland) and the All Blacks.

I'd be happy with Rennie, Schmidt or Cotter to be honest. I don't really rate Gatland as a coach - while Deans never seems to be good with people.

Both Cotter and Schmidt are very similar in the sense that they both know how to get a backline firing - which I appreicate. Rennie has done a magnificant job with the Chiefs as well, and hes stayed in New Zealand which is a bonus.

If that were the case that would be fine with me. It would surely make him all the more motivated to show with Scotland what positive differences he can hopefully make.

I wouldn't mind Gatland, honestly. I'd rather it was someone who was currently coaching in NZ, however. At the moment Rennie would probably be my first pick, then Gatland, but that could change depending on how things go for Schmidt - there's a big difference between coaching an average team with limited resources (such as Scotland) and the All Blacks.

Gatland seems to be a good coach for European rugby, but his style doesn't work in the SH. Australia would be happy for him to be AB coach.

I'd be happy with Rennie, Schmidt or Cotter to be honest. I don't really rate Gatland as a coach - while Deans never seems to be good with people.

Both Cotter and Schmidt are very similar in the sense that they both know how to get a backline firing - which I appreicate. Rennie has done a magnificant job with the Chiefs as well, and hes stayed in New Zealand which is a bonus.

Deans would be better as a club coach where he can replace players. But I think him falling out and losing Giteau, George Smith and Quade Cooper all who could have had valuable contributions to the side isn't clever when you can't sign a replacement. Add to that he fell out with Mehrtens and Umaga in previous jobs in NZ as well apparently.

Update: Cotter has today resigned immediately from his post at Clermont

Now Clermont looking for a new coach.

SRU Twitter:

Quote:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #EFEFEF"]Reports on Cotter's alleged resignation are news to him, he will seek clarity. "I'm surprised, I'll do some enquiry."[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Latest posts