• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(Very) early thoughts on the 2017 Lions

dai_seven

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
After 2 rounds of the 6 Nations, I was thinking about next year's Lions candidates especially the Captain and Coach.

Hopefully, it will be agreed that the choice of captain should be someone who is the 1st choice in their position. Although some of us outside of England were surprised by Dylan Hartley's selection, I think he has proved himself in the first 2 games. The lineout went a bit wrong yesterday for England but maybe that was a glitch. His all round play has been excellent and has the nod for me in his position over the other hookers. Other candidates like Sam Warburton or Chris Robshaw have been stymied by selection at 6 - neither has been as effective as when they play 7. The only other person I would throw into the mix at this early stage is Alun Wyn Jones but he hasn't captained internationally too often.

As for the Coach, I think Warren Gatland is still in prime position as Wales will allow him the time off to prepare. Joe Schmidt would be a good choice as well as he prepare his sides well. Vern Cotter is struggling with Scotland.

I will say that Eddie Jones is probably the best choice as he has turned England around as a team but I can't see him wanting to give up the time nor the RFU wanting him to either.

After 2 rounds of the 6 Nations, I was thinking about next year's Lions candidates especially the Captain and Coach.

Hopefully, it will be agreed that the choice of captain should be someone who is the 1st choice in their position. Although some of us outside of England were surprised by Dylan Hartley's selection, I think he has proved himself in the first 2 games. The lineout went a bit wrong yesterday for England but maybe that was a glitch. His all round play has been excellent and has the nod for me in his position over the other hookers. Other candidates like Sam Warburton or Chris Robshaw have been stymied by selection at 6 - neither has been as effective as when they play 7. The only other person I would throw into the mix at this early stage is Alun Wyn Jones but he hasn't captained internationally too often.

As for the Coach, I think Warren Gatland is still in prime position as Wales will allow him the time off to prepare. Joe Schmidt would be a good choice as well as he prepare his sides well. Vern Cotter is struggling with Scotland.

I will say that Eddie Jones is probably the best choice as he has turned England around as a team but I can't see him wanting to give up the time nor the RFU wanting him to either.

What exactly has he turned around so far?

They've beaten Scotland and Italy. He may change it around but nothing really to say he has or hasn't yet.

Also Hartley really hasn't done anything first two games.
If anything he's proven a lot of people right as the lineout hasn't been excellent and he hasn't hooked the ball, he's carried poorly and his rucking is still poo.

Also Hartley really hasn't done anything first two games.
If anything he's proven a lot of people right as the lineout hasn't been excellent and he hasn't hooked the ball, he's carried poorly and his rucking is still poo.
From outside it seems Jamie George is the best hooker around. Surprised he hasn't started and well now he can't as it's unlikely Hartley will be dropped. It's kind of the same scenario now as Robshaw.

Vunipola and Faletau will be breaking each other to get that starting shirt.

What exactly has he turned around so far?

They've beaten Scotland and Italy. He may change it around but nothing really to say he has or hasn't yet.

Exactly! Might as well appoint Lancaster as it has been his team basically that has won the two matches so far!!! You may think that the new boys did it yesterday but it was Lancaster's team that wore the Italians down to enable the last 20 minute clustereff!!

Right now it's Gatland's job to refuse and the arguments against picking Warburton as captain are not overwhelming, so I'd expect that. Not exactly happy with either but at this moment, everyone who I thought might be making a case otherwise is making an absolute ballix of it.

My dark horse captain candidate would be O'Mahony.

Vunipola and Faletau will be breaking each other to get that starting shirt.

I hope both stay fit to go - Heaslip and Denton aren't in the same class on current form. They are arguments for either to start the tests but Vunipola has the edge for me at the moment.

The back row is one area where the coach is going to have a nightmare selecting. There are good cases for everyone we've seen so far to go to NZ but many won't. Good thing is that if the Lions have injuries at 6 and 7 there are plenty of replacements!

My lions team

1) Vunipola
2) George
3) Brookes
4) Launchbury
5) Itojie
6) Ewers
7) Kvesic
8) Vunipola
9) Youngs
10) Farrell
11) Nowell
12) Manu
13) Henshaw
14) Roko
15) Watson

16) Cowan-Dickie
17) Mullan
18) Cole
19) Kruis
20) Clifford
21) Care
22) Cips
23) Daly

10/10 lions team.

Not being biased either.

My lions team

1) Vunipola
2) George
3) Brookes
4) Launchbury
5) Itojie
6) Ewers
7) Kvesic
8) Vunipola
9) Youngs
10) Farrell
11) Nowell
12) Manu
13) Henshaw
14) Roko
15) Watson

16) Cowan-Dickie
17) Mullan
18) Cole
19) Kruis
20) Clifford
21) Care
22) Cips
23) Daly

10/10 lions team.

Not being biased either.

I don't understand. Just a while back at the world cup Farrell's home supporters ( The England rugby fans) were calling for him to be dropped. There were accusations of favoritism from his dad in the coaching setup. Some on this forum said that they should pick George Ford as he is more exciting.
So my question is why would he be infront of biggar in the pecking order for the lions?

Tigs is just joking (notice how many English players are in the 23?).
Biggar is far and away the best 10 in Europe at the moment and will cruise in to the 10 shirt bar a massive drop of form.

And speaking of which, that's what's happened to Ford. His form stinks and his defence, atm, is arguably the worst of any international player (including O'Gara and Hodgson).
Farrell has been playing very well for Saracens all season - never going to set the world on fire but as it's a straight shoot, in the England squad, between Farrell and Ford for the 10 shirt Farrell is easily the better choice.

Ok my bad. Seems i had a bit of tunnel vision there when i spotted Farrell, did not even notice the rest.

I just want to see the fireworks when nation x moans they don't have enough players.

My lions team

1) Vunipola
2) George
3) Brookes
4) Launchbury
5) Itojie
6) Ewers
7) Kvesic
8) Vunipola
9) Youngs
10) Farrell
11) Nowell
12) Manu
13) Henshaw
14) Roko
15) Watson

16) Cowan-Dickie
17) Mullan
18) Cole
19) Kruis
20) Clifford
21) Care
22) Cips
23) Daly

10/10 lions team.

Not being biased either.
Bennett for Henshaw, Gatland coach. 10/10 would care equally little.

If I were to pick a team tomorrow, judging on recent form, club and international, it would look something like this:

1) McGrath
2) Best
3) Lee
4) Launchbury
5) Kruis
6) Itoje
7) Tipuric
8) B Vunipola
9) Murray
10) Biggar
11) Watson
12) Roberts
13) Joseph
14) North
15) Brown

16) Hartley
17) M Vunipola
18) Cole
19) J Gray
20) Haskell
21) B Youngs
22) Farrell
23) Daly

A relatively pointless activity at the moment but I always enjoy spouting useless tripe so it was good fun. England have so many players in there right now because recently the Celts of shown very little in the past few weeks to knock anyone out of their place. Come the end of the 6 Nations we will have a much better feel for it and so how the English fare against their opposite numbers.

As for the thing about Ford, yeah, at World Cup time he was our best fly-half, playing more exciting rugby whilst Farrell wasn't looking good. However Faz has been in electric form at club level whilst Ford has taken a few steps back. Players' form changes as do opinions, at the World Cup Ford should have played against Wales, but since being dropped he has lost all confidence and needs to find himself again under Jones, but should rebuild at club rugby before being allowed to play in Faz's position.

Latest posts