• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vickerman to quit Waratahs

F

Fushitsusha

Good riddance I say... now we just need Sharpe to quit so we can have a couple of locks who don't use the scrum as a rest period...

Vickerman to quit Waratahs

January 25, 2008 AUSTRALIA lock Daniel Vickerman could be playing his last year for New South Wales after not re-signing with Australian rugby after 2008.

The decision was based on lifestyle and career choices rather than a rugby one, the 58-capped Wallaby said.

"Let me say from the outset this has never been about money," Vickerman said.

"I know there's been some speculation about clubs overseas but this decision is independent of that because it's about my career off the field, which is starting to take shape through my studies and business contacts."

Vickerman made his international debut against France in 2002 and has represented his adopted country in the past two Rugby World Cups.

Born in Cape Town, Vickerman was an under-21 South Africa representative before moving to Australia where he first played with the Brumbies from 2001 to 2003.

In 2004 the 28-year-old moved to the Waratahs where he became the line-out general and cemented his place in the Australia side.

Vickerman said he wanted to make amends for missing the 2007 Super 14 season following a shoulder reconstruction in November 2006, resulting from an injury sustained on the Wallabies' spring tour to Europe.

"I'm fully committed to the Waratahs this season and I'm totally focused on winning the Super 14," he said.

The bruising lock has not ruled out a return to the rugby paddock in a couple of years.

"Hopefully I'd still be competitive like Joe Roff was when he returned from a brief break from the game here."

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie was disappointed with Vickerman's decision but expects the former Wallabies vice-captain to lead the charge in 2008.

"It's a massive loss no doubt about it but Dan's made his decision and I respect him for it," McKenzie said.

"We gave it our best shot but Dan's mind is made up and I expect nothing less than his best season for the Waratahs in 2008.

"This could be his last shot at a Waratahs' Super 14 ***le so his motivation will be higher than ever before and I'm sure the entire squad will feed off his enthusiasm."

Latest posts