Vincent Clerc favourable towards FFR-LNR agreement

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Hey TRF,
the French legend winger has spoken to 'Le Figaro' upon returning from a devastating knee injury, and I thought I'd translate what he's said about the 30-match limit that the authorities have imposed to all French int'l selected players:

"Both times my knee got hurt, it happened when I was playing a lot. First, it was after the 2007 RWC. This time, I was one of the players who'd played the most in the Top14...There's clearly wear (and tear), fatigue. Rugby is getting more and more intense. We're more fragile physically, mentally, and a little less vigilant. We're therefor more exposed to injuries. That rhythm favors them, surely. [...] Thirty matches, that's fine. I believe certain injuries will be avoided. Some seasons, we played more than 35 matches ! This will make for an extra whole month of recuperation".

Source: http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-de...our-les-internationaux_sto4095247/story.shtml

Personal sentiment:

Sure the coaches and owners (some) are screaming their lungs out about how insane the FFR-LNR agreement is. And it certainly objectively poses enormous obstacles and problems, undoubtedly. But Top 14 players who also are selected to wear Bleus have complained a lot themselves, despite the Rugby culture of never speaking out and being reserved. I personally remember Szar, Machenaud, amonst others.
Nice to see a guy like Clerc, the sort of weight and importance he holds, speak up about this.

Players aren't tools, they're professional athletes, human beings. And they need to play on, at least, similar terms as all the other nations. And the XV de France isn't a fuccking formality, for crying out loud.

I believe Warburton once said top players shouldn't play more than 20 matches. I'd be surprised if he could do half that, personally. Jannie du Plessis I think played every match he was available for one year, and then people slagged him off when he appeared tired. Better player management is something that needs to be implemented. Will be interested to see how other nations react.

Yup. Funny how Dan Cole's dip in form seems to have roughly coincided with the period when Leicester didn't really trust Castro to replace him and him becoming one of Europe's most played tightheads.

I really hope it works for France and we can see the start of more sensible match rationing.

I believe Warburton once said top players shouldn't play more than 20 matches. I'd be surprised if he could do half that, personally. Jannie du Plessis I think played every match he was available for one year, and then people slagged him off when he appeared tired. Better player management is something that needs to be implemented. Will be interested to see how other nations react.

very insightful stuff...I wish there were a way - there isn't nearly one, obviously - of accurately measuring the impact of a game on a player's freshness (mental, and physical). Sort of like an iPhone with an energy/battery life bar and a percentage next to it.

One thing is for sure - and I'm not saying France would've won 5 World Cups and 8 more Grand Slams and be unbeaten in test matches or wtvr - people have heavily, heavily underestimated this so very, very essential factor.

How the hell are you supposed to be as competitive as you can be when your guys have no time together as a team, and are fkd physically on top of that ?

Yup. Funny how Dan Cole's dip in form seems to have roughly coincided with the period when Leicester didn't really trust Castro to replace him and him becoming one of Europe's most played tightheads.

I really hope it works for France and we can see the start of more sensible match rationing.

Nice to read that from a despicable saxon. I hope England rise above their injury list myself this year. All I want is fairness. I want a full strength England, Ireland, France etc...who all have the same preparation time, and play about as many games/i.e. are around the same page physical freshness wise. If France gets crushed by 30 against England while all those things are applied, I've got nothing to say. Period.

And how about Morne Steyn? He played for 3 years every Super Rugby and Springbok game his team was involved in, and also played Currie Cup when the springboks didn't play. It was one of the reasons why ha had such a poor season 2 years ago. Then he finally got some deserved rest and then had a stellar season last year.

I for one think that players shouldn't play more than 26 games a year. that gives you one game every second week of the year. It's only a matter of time until there will be some sort of revolt by a players association demanding less playing time for the players.

very insightful stuff...I wish there were a way - there isn't nearly one, obviously - of accurately measuring the impact of a game on a player's freshness (mental, and physical). Sort of like an iPhone with an energy/battery life bar and a percentage next to it.

I think a lot of clubs/countries use GPS tracking now, which is actually quite accurate at seeing when player's performance levels have dipped during a game. Presumably that is, or could be, used for measuring long term fatigue too.

I think a lot of clubs/countries use GPS tracking now, which is actually quite accurate at seeing when player's performance levels have dipped during a game. Presumably that is, or could be, used for measuring long term fatigue too.

oh shhit it seems you're right apparently...I thought for sure you were going on a trip and was preparing a sci-fi reply myself...
next time, next time...

Many of our players use GPS normally 3/4 per match are fitted with it, goes in a little pocket between the shoulders on a protection under garment, players have now all their stats during training and matches so everybody knows just exactly how much effort is made in training and during matches.

^ yeah I learned about this some time ago. Never knew how statisticians got such accurate figures at the end of games ! :p

oh shhit it seems you're right apparently...I thought for sure you were going on a trip and was preparing a sci-fi reply myself...
next time, next time...

Many of our players use GPS normally 3/4 per match are fitted with it, goes in a little pocket between the shoulders on a protection under garment, players have now all their stats during training and matches so everybody knows just exactly how much effort is made in training and during matches.

^ yeah I learned about this some time ago. Never knew how statisticians got such accurate figures at the end of games ! :p

SPI_Pac.jpg

For training they are usually worn on a harness

394489-quade-cooper.jpg

On match days, they are more often sewn into the jersey

^ yup, know that now. Thanks man.

Man...Quade Cooper has really long ears..well at least a really long left one.