• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Violence in the Game

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Just thinking about Hartleys silly elbow at the weekend and also saw a replay of the McRae vs ROG slugging and it got me thinking about Violence in the game.

What's the worst thing you've seen in the game, and experienced yourself.

Reckon the worst thing I've seen is Doddie Weir getting kicked in the Lions tour in 1997.

personally I was headbutted once by my opposite number but that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The multiple times Isaac Luke has tried to break players legs in league has to be up there. No respect for him. Michael Brial just getting a ridiculous amount of punches in on Frank Bunce I always think is the most ridiculous, considering there was no reaction from the referees. Realistically it is very difficult to separate any acts of violence when a player attacks another when the other cannot defend themselves. Some of the stuff McCaw has taken over the years, Richard Loe's cheap shot in 92. On reflection this is one of the worst - multiple stamps from players to then get another hit on Fitzpatrick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUg9FC4ysc

The worst think that has happened to me is an eye gouge in my first game of senior 1 rugby, was in the scrums and was 18 and beating an older prop, so he sticks his finger in my eye and gouges for most of the scrum. Referee didn't do anything. I have also been in a rolling mall and the bottom of a ruck when a player tried to break my arm when trapped (neither of which was penalized - however one was in a colts final and the referee didn't bin me after then decking him and making him leave the field, so it was incompetency all around).

Northampton lad breaking somebody's arm and Schalk Burger attempting to blind Luke Fitz.
I got gouged once, absolutely lost my ****, it was ****ing horrible.

can't say i've ever been gouged (thankfully).

Yeah Clarke breaking yer mans arm was appaling.

Have you guys not played rugby for long?

I've been in fights, gouged, balls squeezed, head butted and kicked while I was on the floor.

Those are things I've had done to me, not that I've done.

I've been in fights, gouged, balls squeezed, head butted and kicked while I was on the floor.

aahhh....hence that username...I see..
(joke)

I used to get gouged quite a lot in underage rugby as chaps knew I'd flip my **** and pick up cards or give away penalties attempting to exact retribution.
Fighting and acting the **** is a part of the game , but cowardly stuff like stamping on faces and gouging has no place IMO.

Then again it's come a long way from the dogfights of old , the stories I hear off my old man and the level of violence they engaged in is simply crazy and I'm glad that now if a team doesn't want to act the pup they can play nice rugby without getting dragged into a ****figh but at least we still have the option.

Never had the auld balls tugged myself and only got the Headbutt in Gaelic Football. Worst thing I've ever done myself on a pitch was stamp down on a lads ankle, he'd been at me all game kicking me after I kicked the ball, head into the dirt in rucks etc... And I got fed up! He went at my eyes later in the game and I threw one of the only decent punches I've thrown in my life, apparently he hit the deck according to a few eye witnesses, I was dragged off by the ref.

My fave not because its a particularly dirty start from Rogers but the violence of Lewseys tackle :D

- - - Updated - - -

And all these posts and no-one has mentioned the "99" call yet.

Tuilagi vs Ashton

someone needed to do that, tbf. Although I'd quite love to see someone return the favor to Tuilagi.

01_manu_1388764a.jpg

hmm....loooooook at that ..mug...
Not sure who could do it, though !...

Worst I can remember having done to me is one lad headbutting me every time I cleared him out of a ruck which happened 3/4 times. I half remember someone doing a knee drop on me but other than that haven't really had anything I'd consider out of bounds done to me. I've personally not done anything to hurt anyone that was outside of the laws in a game.

the funny thing is that he punches the wrong guy!! he was only 18 and the eng prop firt steps on him while on the floor. he got up and punches the first thing he sees!
the worst violent game i ever saw was a Pumas spain game in the end of the 80s does someone remember the game? i havent find any footage fo it i just remember that the spamish flanker was called "malo" which means bad in spanish. and yes he was really dirty.

Latest posts