• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Violence in the Game

diapo965f6c781db8726ba55a5723b9a34605.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst I can remember having done to me is one lad headbutting me every time I cleared him out of a ruck which happened 3/4 times. I half remember someone doing a knee drop on me but other than that haven't really had anything I'd consider out of bounds done to me. I've personally not done anything to hurt anyone that was outside of the laws in a game.

Posh Dublin rugby.

But could he do it on wet windy day in Tullow.

Not really on topic but about 2/3rds of the way through 12 pubs last night there was a lad getting stick off some swine for how he dressed, spoke, his beard, had a go at his family etc... Anyway the little scrote started pushing him and the lad said to stop and that he had boxing experience so he could hurt the scum if he had to. The rat didn't listen and took a swing, he missed and received his offer back with interest, he was out like a light! Knew neither of them but it really was a beautiful sight!

To be fair to that punch, he needed to have knocked him out because Ackford would have ripped him limb from limb if he hadn't.

Really? Dooley maybe, but I don't remember Ackford being particularly adept at the rough stuff.

As petite says it was a case of mistaken identity. I have the full clip on VHS somewhere and read Ackford's account in his Telegraph column many years ago. IIRC, Jason Leonard (also winning his first cap I believe) was having a bit of trouble with his opposite number so consulted the more senior Ackford. Ackford said to let him know the next time he was in trouble and he'd sort it out. The punch to sort things out resulted in the scrum breaking up, with Mendez ending up on the deck, I believe Probyn ends up stamping on Mendez (not sure about intent), Mendez retaliated by grabbing Probyn's nards, understandably, Probyn lashes out to extricate himself and kicks Mendez in the head. Mendez gets up complete with red mist and the next white shirt he sees gets the consequences!

Bakkies Botha headbutt for all to see against Jimmy Cowan, NZ vs SA some years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Brendan Cannon giving Kevin Mealamu a punch which Evander Holyfield would've been proud of.

I've taken the odd punch to the face, used to happen quite a bit in high school. One of the other schools we played, it seemed like their default move was to hit the ruck with the arms swinging. Other that that I had a guy start stomping my neck when I was at the bottom of a ruck. I kinda lost it and grabbed his shorts and punched him in the sack (it was all I could reach) he stopped pretty quick!

I don't usually go as far as actual dirty play, usually just the old "Oh, let me lean on you with my knee/ elbow as I get up", which sometimes turns into a bit of a scuffle. I did directly punch a guy in the face once, he (prop) tackled my little brother (130 lb scrumhalf) way late. Ref didn't see it but I got a good elbow to the head a few minutes later.

Funny thing is, about four years later the guy I hit and I were playing for the same club. We laughed about it then!

From a personal point of view I have been punched etc which TBH is to be expected from time to time, esp being a flanker.

But the weirdest thing I have had happen to me was getting bitten 5 times in 1 tour when I went to Cape Town.

One of the first games I remember watching as a youngish kid was the game between Wales and England in Cardiff that was just a punch up from start to finish. Messers Dooly and Forester going at it in every lineout throwing some big punches a real mess of a game even the ref had a comb over. Was at Watford when Martin Johnson punched Robbie Russell with a very sweet punch and was at a Tigers Baa baa game at HQ when Johnson and Weir took it in turns to try and knock the others head off.

As for myself well the worst thing that I remember happening was being bitten in a maul. I had wrapped the 9 up on the back of a line out and part turned him resulting in a very competive maul. He was trying to get my hands off the ball and decided to sink his bottom set of nashers into my hand. I whispered something very dark and treating into his ear and a full blown punch up broke out. Where I took the chance to get a couple of revenge shots in and that was it. He did buy me a pint after the game so no hard feeling.

Worst one I've been the victim in is probably in a local derby when I was a young lad. One of their lads kicked one of our lads up the arse and I tried to kill him. Not exactly a good idea if he's the number 8, I got * floored! Then a massive fight happened yet no sin-bins or reds. The look we gave each-other when we got clapped off were priceless.

Worst I've done myself is absolutely killing someone with a swinging arm JBL clothesline esque high-tackle on some lad who was calling everyone w*ers and doing celebrations when he scored 3 tries and telling everyone * you. He was through for a 4th and I completely cleaned him. He played on for the last 5 minutes, and then collapsed when the teams were shaking hands.

Well, there use to be some interesting stuff happen in the rucks when I played (when rucks actually had rucking)... mind you, a lot of the dirty players got what was due to them at the bottom of a ruck :)

Probably worst, apart from the obligatory broken noses from scuffles, was a punch to the ball bag ... mind you, at least it was ripped open, ala Buck Shelford, Nantes, 1986

The worst thing that happened to me, They broke my front tooth by a knee :(:(

but...

141223114651451635.jpg

Johan Le Roux biting Fitzpatrick and Loe elbowing Carozza after he scored

Wow. Actually surprised how little violence some people have encountered during their playing careers.

I've had:
a) ***** slapped in the face
b) guy try to break my fingers - not even in a ruck, on the sidelines after a kick or something. Just bending them back trying to break them. I threw many punches to get him to stop.
c) head stomped at a ruck, had to get stitches and have a massive scar
d) kneed in the head
e) punched who knows how many times, some of these deserved
f) my least favourite thing: late tackles. I despise these and I never do this myself. You pass the ball and two seconds later you get creamed. I'd rather be punched in the face.
g) choking at rucks or in tackles seems to be more popular lately. Not a big fan of this.
h) mini-fight with spectators from the other team who were deliberately catching the ball when kicked out of bounds and not letting me, the winger, catch or retrieve it.

I'm playing at a higher level with better referees now and of course times have changes, so there is far less of this crap now. I don't enjoy it at all.

I suspect I've encountered more violence than most as the quality of the refereeing here is often TERRIBLE and it is very easy for games to spiral out of control.

The referees don't notice things and there are often no touch judges so players cheat like crazy - holding players in the loose/at rucks, pushing people over, hands in rucks, CRAZY offsides, late hits, detaching from the scrum when the ball is still in. Smoking the kicker late. You almost don't have a choice but to take matters into your own hands.

I've also seen many games spiral into violence because of the referee's actual calls. We had one ref that called a penalty at every ruck if shoulders were EVER below hips. So every ruck. One game the ref called feeding at - I'm not kidding - every scrum. I've had refs that are immobile and miss four consecutive knockons that went 10 metres prior to a try. In a game this year the team kicked the ball straight through the endzone on a kickoff (a lot of wind) and the ref called a 22! What? And immediately awarded the other team a penalty - and that ref plays currently for that team. In a provincial semi-final the opposing 13 was ALWAYS offside and the ref said he didn't think he was offside because he works out with the guy and knows how fast he is. That guy literally ended up knocked unconscious. A girl got tackled at the 22 and the ref was so far away that he called a try as he thought she was on the try line.

I could go on ALL DAY about the terrible referees here in Canada. When touring sides come we often have an advantage because they lose their minds and get loads of penalties for talking back to the ref. When we get a good referee there is usually no violence.

I have witnessed a proper spear tackle first-hand, not a tip tackle but a full-on turn-him-vertical-and-slam-him-head-first into the ground spear tackle, absolutely disgusting. I was just a few metres away and I honestly thought I'd just seen my mate paralysed for life, my blood ran cold, easily the worst thing I have ever seen. Thank God he got up walked himself off the pitch, but christ it looked horrible. Referee pussied out and only gave a yellow for it as well.

Latest posts