• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales' 6 Nations Squad

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
So Gatland is due to name his 6 nations squad today.

Unfortunately Faletau has re-broken his arm on his return for bath, so he'll miss the entire tournament again! How does a player go from one of the most robust, to one of the most injury prone? Are Bath doing something wrong, or is it just coincidence?

Will Thomas Young make the cut? Ellis Jenkins and Cubby are both out, so he should have a good chance.

Will Owen Lane be involved as the lone uncapped player?

So Gatland is due to name his 6 nations squad today.

Unfortunately Faletau has re-broken his arm on his return for bath, so he'll miss the entire tournament again! How does a player go from one of the most robust, to one of the most injury prone? Are Bath doing something wrong, or is it just coincidence?

Will Thomas Young make the cut? Ellis Jenkins and Cubby are both out, so he should have a good chance.

Will Owen Lane be involved as the lone uncapped player?

From what I've heard, Faletau broke it in the same place as he did earlier this season, which does look like they've maybe rushed him back earlier than they should have.

It's a massive pity as he had a great game for them this weekend.

Backrow selection will certainly be interesting with quite a few players now unavailable, hope Young is given a proper chance but wouldn't be shocked to see Gatland overlook him again for a Welsh based player - maybe Turnbull?

What with the amount of injuries to our backrows, I would personally bring Thomas Young in (a good 6N with Wales could end up being the deciding factor in him coming back to a region too)... but i have a feeling Gats might STILL leave him out in the cold. The half decent form (& versatility) of Turnbull might get him a place along with Ollie Griffiths.

With Faletau being out and Moriarty just about to return (though not match fit I'd imagine) the question of who will play at 8 is an interesting one. The management clearly see Seb Davies as a possibility, Navidi and Griffiths can play there but it is probably their least favoured position out of 6, 7 & 8... and then there's Ken Owens who had a stormer this past weekend.

WALES SQUAD – 2019 GUINNESS SIX NATIONS
FORWARDS:
Rob Evans (Scarlets) (31 Caps)
Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (10 Caps)
Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (24 Caps)
Elliot Dee (Dragons) (13 Caps)
Ryan Elias (Scarlets) (6 Caps)
Ken Owens (Scarlets) (60 Caps)
Leon Brown (Dragons) (5 Caps)
Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (36 Caps)
Samson Lee (Scarlets) (38 Caps)
Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues) (8 Caps)
Jake Ball (Scarlets) (29 Caps)
Adam Beard (Ospreys) (8 Caps)
Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues) (7 Caps)
Cory Hill (Dragons) (22 Caps)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (120 Caps) (CAPT)
Ross Moriarty (Dragons) (26 Caps)
Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (11 Caps)
Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (60 Caps)
Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues) (10 Caps)
Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (3 Caps)
Thomas Young (Wasps) (2 Caps)

BACKS:
Aled Davies (Ospreys) (12 Caps)
Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (36 Caps)
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues) (6 Caps)
Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues) (21 Caps)
Dan Biggar (Northampton) (65 Caps)
Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues) (1 Cap)
Rhys Patchell (Scarlets) (11 Caps)
Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (67 Caps)
Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets) (10 Caps)
Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (8 Caps)
Scott Williams (Ospreys) (57 Caps)
Josh Adams (Worcester) (6 Caps)
Hallam Amos (Dragons) (18 Caps)
Steffan Evans (Scarlets) (12 Caps)
Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets) (80 Caps)
Jonah Holmes (Leicester) (1 Cap)
George North (Ospreys) (79 Caps)
Liam Williams (Saracens) (51 Caps)

Pleased for Young and also happy that Holmes has maintained his place within the squad... I liked what I saw during his debut (albeit it was against Tonga) and has looked good since returning to Leicester.

All things considered it's a decent squad but do feel a little bit sorry for Ollie Griffiths.

Yeah probably Olly Griffiths and Owen Lane are the two unluckiest players, though both have only just returned from injury. Both could still make the WC though if they have a run of form.

I agree, Olly Griffiths and Own Lane are the ones would be a bit aggrieved although both have had their own injury problems so it's not a surprise. There seems to be a a few players of that group though who are currently injured albeit minor injuries.

... There seems to be a a few players of that group though who are currently injured albeit minor injuries.

Think that's why he picked such a large party, as if the injury worries don't make it back to fitness, there should be enough cover within the squad.

Dont get Halfpenny. 3 months of no matches and struggling with something serious that if he cant shake will end his career. We know all about him so why on earth rush him into such an intense competition? I just see no point in it at all and think it shows a lack of regard for his health.

I also fail to see the reason Patchell has been called up. Again no game time at all!

Would like to see Navidi at 8, Young 7 and Tips at 6.

Back 3 of Williams, Amos and North.

Dont get Halfpenny. 3 months of no matches and struggling with something serious that if he cant shake will end his career. We know all about him so why on earth rush him into such an intense competition? I just see no point in it at all and think it shows a lack of regard for his health.

I also fail to see the reason Patchell has been called up. Again no game time at all!

Would like to see Navidi at 8, Young 7 and Tips at 6.

Back 3 of Williams, Amos and North.

Gatland won't risk players, especially with the WC around the corner. The likes of Halfpenny will be in the squad for the purposes of keeping them involved in training + giving their medics a chance to fully asses them etc. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Gats has no intention of playing Halfpenny, whether or not he's deemed fit to do so.

Would be happy with that back row and back 3. I'd also like to see Wainright involved because he's really impressed me this season and could quite easily become our starting blindside by the WC.

I can see Biggar getting the 10 shirt and Anscombe coming in at 15. I know thats not the back 3 I said I wanted but thats how I can see it going.

Have a hunch that Wales will be in the top two and might even win. I can't stand Gatland but there's no denying he's on a good run results wise and has shaken the southern hemisphere monkey off Wales' back.

Have a hunch that Wales will be in the top two and might even win. I can't stand Gatland but there's no denying he's on a good run results wise and has shaken the southern hemisphere monkey off Wales' back.

Well with England v Ireland, one of those two will already be on the back foot, though it might galvanize the loser for the rest of the tournament. Wales need a win in Paris followed by a win in Italy. If they get that it's set them up very well for a home match with England, who based on last year could be coming off the back of two defeats. Murrayfield might well depend on how well Scotland have done against Ireland and France. Ireland need a good start at home and then follow it up with a win at Murrayfield. I agree, I can see Ireland v Wales being a decider, but I can also potentially see France and Scotland causing some upsets too and blowing it wide open. England could mix it up too, but I'm waiting to see if Jones picks on form or reputation. However going into the start Wales and Ireland both have well settled squads and should be favourites.

Good news, Gats may get to coach the Lions in SA, with a good showing in this 6N and a WC win followed by a series victory in SA for the Lions, this will elevate the man to the God like status Carwyn achieved.
As to this 6N England won't win, away games in Dublin and Cardiff will see to that. An improving France will cause problems and for me Wales 1st game in Paris will have a major bearing on the tournament, if we beat France then I think we'll win the tournament, if we loose then its Irelands to loose.

Good news, Gats may get to coach the Lions in SA, with a good showing in this 6N and a WC win followed by a series victory in SA for the Lions, this will elevate the man to the God like status Carwyn achieved.
As to this 6N England won't win, away games in Dublin and Cardiff will see to that. An improving France will cause problems and for me Wales 1st game in Paris will have a major bearing on the tournament, if we beat France then I think we'll win the tournament, if we loose then its Irelands to loose.

Valley Commando also used to write 'loose' instead of 'lose' and was one of the few members to issue dislikes at will. Joins TRF just before the 6N and only six posts so far. Hmmmmm

Valley Commando also used to write 'loose' instead of 'lose' and was one of the few members to issue dislikes at will. Joins TRF just before the 6N and only six posts so far. Hmmmmm

Don't know if he's issued any dislikes (can't view his profile) but he's certainly received a couple.

Anyway, prob say it most years but this year's championship is just to tough to call it going in. I honestly think that all sides apart from Italy can beat each other... and I am fairly concerned that France away on the first weekend is a genuine banana skin awaiting Wales (hope that I'm wrong).

We all know the quality of Ireland last year and look how difficult they found the identical fixture... I'd take a Dan Bigger drop goal to win it in the dying moments now without hesitation.

Don't know if he's issued any dislikes (can't view his profile) but he's certainly received a couple.

Anyway, prob say it most years but this year's championship is just to tough to call it going in. I honestly think that all sides apart from Italy can beat each other... and I am fairly concerned that France away on the first weekend is a genuine banana skin awaiting Wales (hope that I'm wrong).

We all know the quality of Ireland last year and look how difficult they found the identical fixture... I'd take a Dan Bigger drop goal to win it in the dying moments now without hesitation.

I think the unpredictability between the top 5 is what makes it so exciting. It depends which France turns up. Winning in Paris is a tall order for any team.

Wales and Ireland are the key games for Scotland as I don't see any return in Paris or Twickers. Have a feeling Ireland will have too much this time at Murrayfield which means Italy and Wales are must wins IMO. Two years ago was easier as Howler was in charge of Wales when they came to Edinburgh. They will be stronger under Gatland this time around and I have concerns about the Scottish back row (in particular the breakdown) with no Barclay and now potentially Watson.

Latest posts