TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_58220705_shane_williams_getty.jpg

Shane Williams will retire from all rugby at the end of this season, BBC Sport Wales understands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16824230

Is there a worse piece of news to be able to wake up to? Farewell Shane. Absolute legend in every sense of the word.

Thought he'd stick around another season or so, however it's better for him to bow at when he wants than be forced out through injury.

Can't help but feel he should go to Japan and play for another 3-4 seasons. Still, a great player and still very capable.

Can't help but feel he should go to Japan and play for another 3-4 seasons. Still, a great player and still very capable.

Sadly Shane is a home boy who does not want to leave the Amman area.

Great news for Amman United mind. Will have Shane for next season!

wasnt it on Scrum V he said he'll be playing a few games for Amman next year or something along those lines?

I think he will. He just doesn't want to play professional rugby on the telly anymore. I could see him playing a few games here and there while learning his trade in the coaching world the rest of the time.

We are ****ed.
A couple of seasons ago, we had a backline of-

Lee Byrne, Nikki Walker, Tommy Bowe, Gavin Henson, Shane, James Hook, Mike Phillips

All on top form, Walker the only one probably not pushing for a World XV spot. Next thing we know it, the entire backline's gone. (Assuming Tommy'll abandon the sinking ship) Terrific.

The same thing is happening in all the regions. We simply can't afford quality players. The future will be no doubt be with the academy players for all the regions.

Fair play to him, choosing to retire at a relatively low age (compared to others) and still very much on top of his game.
Deserves to be spoken of an one of the greats, a true legend.
Diolch!

Lee Byrne, Nikki Walker, Tommy Bowe, Gavin Henson, Shane, James Hook, Mike Phillips

All on top form, Walker the only one probably not pushing for a World XV spot. Next thing we know it, the entire backline's gone. (Assuming Tommy'll abandon the sinking ship) Terrific.

Firstly, Byrne and Phillips were playing dreadfully during their last 18 months at the Ospreys, Phillips' World Cup form was nothing like how he was playing for the Ospreys and leaving the Ospreys seems to have made him a better player for Wales so in a way it's good he left, Fotuali'i and Webb are better than the Phillips we saw at the end of his Ospreys spell and a hell of a lot cheaper as well, however Byrne hasn't been properly replaced

Secondly, James Hook has never been pushing for a World XV spot, some people seem to forget he has had some really awful matches

I hope with the money the Ospreys are about to get for Bowe (his wages off the bill and Munster to pay off the remaining year of his contract) plus wages saved from Walker, we sign a new back rower, centre and full back, maybe Tom Prydie can now get a run at either wing or full back, and hopefully Hanno Dirksen, Eli Walker and Kristian Phillips can all step up

Despite feeling really sad at this news, Shane being a true legend and will be sorely missed, I can't help laughing at this-

:lol:

Seriously though, all the best Shane. Enjoy your retirement!

Shame this, great player and all that. Still don't feel sorry for the Ospreys though, there was such a bad attitude in the club for so long that a mass exodus was boind to happen sooner or later.

I could not believe my eyes this morning when I woke to this news (still speculation at this point though - all articles have " BBC etc understands").

The Amman Valleys shall all cry in harmony when/If this is confirmed. Great thing for him to call it quits when he wants though, instead of selectors/injuries forcing him out.

Great player, all signs point to him being billed as one of Wales' greats along with your Edwards, JJ, JPR's Davies' etc

Will this be the last "Little" player to achieve great heights????? Time will tell I guess

are you sure? the article says he wants to get into coaching/commentating

He mentioned it when he jointly coached the Amman United Youth team with Derwyn Jones on his program on S4C last year. He may well do some coaching / commentary but when time permits he will probably play for Amman United.

Firstly, Byrne and Phillips were playing dreadfully during their last 18 months at the Ospreys, Phillips' World Cup form was nothing like how he was playing for the Ospreys and leaving the Ospreys seems to have made him a better player for Wales so in a way it's good he left, Fotuali'i and Webb are better than the Phillips we saw at the end of his Ospreys spell and a hell of a lot cheaper as well, however Byrne hasn't been properly replaced

Secondly, James Hook has never been pushing for a World XV spot, some people seem to forget he has had some really awful matches

I hope with the money the Ospreys are about to get for Bowe (his wages off the bill and Munster to pay off the remaining year of his contract) plus wages saved from Walker, we sign a new back rower, centre and full back, maybe Tom Prydie can now get a run at either wing or full back, and hopefully Hanno Dirksen, Eli Walker and Kristian Phillips can all step up

Yeah spot on. Give me Rhys Webb, Eli Walker and Kristian Phillips over Mike Phillips, Lee Byrne and James Hook any day.

Yeah spot on. Give me Rhys Webb, Eli Walker and Kristian Phillips over Mike Phillips, Lee Byrne and James Hook any day.

where did I say that?

Fotuali'i hasn't been worse than Phillips who was poor in his last season, and leaving seems to have improved him

Byrne likewise was on poor form before he left, and is 31 so there was no point competing with a big contract offered from Clermont, however I wish Byrne was replaced though rather than putting Fussell at full back

I said Hook wasn't nearly a World XV player and some people seem to forget he has had some pretty bad matches, I would have still loved him to stay, his creativity is what the side now misses badly

where did I say that?

Fotuali'i hasn't been worse than Phillips who was poor in his last season, and leaving seems to have improved him

Byrne likewise was on poor form before he left, and is 31 so there was no point competing with a big contract offered from Clermont, however I wish Byrne was replaced though rather than putting Fussell at full back

I said Hook wasn't nearly a World XV player and some people seem to forget he has had some pretty bad matches, I would have still loved him to stay, his creativity is what the side now misses badly

I'd still rather quality players in the ranks over average squad players thrust into an arena of expectation - form is temporary, class is permanent and all that.

I keep trying to defend him, but from what I've seen Fotuali'i has been utterly dreadful. Prydie hasn't been utilised at all at full-back which is points to shocking coaching and management and Hook, suffering with bronchitis, a severe limp, both arms tied behind his back and his knob hanging off is still better than that shithead Biggar...

I was discussing the Ospreys predicament with a mate earlier and came to the conclusion that the big-wigs at the Liberty went with the gamble in 2005/06 of getting the stars in on big contracts with the result being that success would surely follow in the form of explosive rugby, league and Heineken Cup glory and subsequently big big crowds.
That obviously hasn't happened (bar 3 Magners Leagues and an EDF...) and now they're having to cut their losses in a massive way.

We aimed to be a side like Toulouse, but I'm afraid we'll be closer to Tonmawr for the next 5 years at least. :(

I don't think that it was meant that at the times of them leaving, but at their high points, that the players were world class.

A backline of (**the players named above**) all playing at their best would be world class.

Latest posts