• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales and Ospreys great Shane Williams to retire at end of season

I don't think that it was meant that at the times of them leaving, but at their high points, that the players were world class.

A backline of (**the players named above**) all playing at their best would be world class.
Oh, how you tease me!

Just watched the Shane program that was broadcast last night on BBC2 Wales. Some interesting stuff in there. Steve Hansen must feel like a bit of a twat about how he treated Shane. He almost robbed the world of one of the most exciting players in recent history. Suppose there's always something in the saying 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger', and maybe he wouldn't have turned out to be the player he was without those hard-times. Maybe he would have developed into the complete player he was a few years earlier, reached the 100 cap mark and retired as the the highest try scorer of all time (well other than Ohata maybe). We'll never know really.

Tuesday BBC1 Wales, Week In Week Out investigating the state of Welsh regional rugby and why it is fighting for survival. Could be worth interesting and worth a watch.

Just watched the Shane program that was broadcast last night on BBC2 Wales. Some interesting stuff in there. Steve Hansen must feel like a bit of a twat about how he treated Shane. He almost robbed the world of one of the most exciting players in recent history. Suppose there's always something in the saying 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger', and maybe he wouldn't have turned out to be the player he was without those hard-times. Maybe he would have developed into the complete player he was a few years earlier, reached the 100 cap mark and retired as the the highest try scorer of all time (well other than Ohata maybe). We'll never know really.
What went on with Hansen and Shane?
I meant to watch the show but forgot about it completely!

What went on with Hansen and Shane?
I meant to watch the show but forgot about it completely!

Hanson had a chip on his shoulder about Shane simply because he was short

Shane was pretty much left out of the Wales team for two years despite being the best option. Shane himself said that he felt he was playing better than those in posetion of the jersey, but Hansen just told him that he though Shane was too small, full stop. He went to the '03 WC as third choice scrum half, and didn't get a look-in during the first three pool games. Shane was saying on the show that during training he was just told to act like Tonga or Italy and kick the ball back, and when he refused and ran the ball back instead beating everyone in front of him, Hansen just had a go and told him to 'do what he f***ng says'. Shane told him to 'f**k off' and after Hansen had another go about speaking to him like that in front of other members.

People need to reealise that Shane's break though game against NZ only came about because Hansen picked his second choice team 'as lambs to the slaughter', as was said on the show. What a sh***y attitude! Shane simply played so well that Hansen couldn't leave him out of the England game.

Hansen really was poor with Wales. He may have done a decent job with NZ, but I remember hating the pr*ck when he was head coach of Wales.

Edit. Olyy, it's woth wartching it on iplayer quickly. It's only half an hour. If starts off a little boring about his younger days, which I'm not too interested in, but it all helps build the overall picture of how Shane got to where he did. Some good footage of his early Neath days aswell. Really took me back. I'd completely forgot about his first cap against France where he threw that intercept, but as soon as a saw it I remembered it like it was yesterday. I wish they would have extended it to an hour long and shown more footage of his Neath and Ospreys career, because it's difficult to find any of that online.

Last edited:
I completely agree about Hansen. That guy is a miserable prick. Hes very lucky to have gotten where he is now. Being friends with Henry probably helps

I reckon I've now seen 5 different Shane documentries, plus read both his autobiography and an unofficial one. If I went on Mastermind, chances are he and his career would be my specalist subject. I feel like some sort of sadistic, obsessive creep. Which is probably spot-on.

Shane was pretty much left out of the Wales team for two years despite being the best option. Shane himself said that he felt he was playing better than those in posetion of the jersey, but Hansen just told him that he though Shane was too small, full stop. He went to the '03 WC as third choice scrum half, and didn't get a look-in during the first three pool games. Shane was saying on the show that during training he was just told to act like Tonga or Italy and kick the ball back, and when he refused and ran the ball back instead beating everyone in front of him, Hansen just had a go and told him to 'do what he f***ng says'. Shane told him to 'f**k off' and after Hansen had another go about speaking to him like that in front of other members.

People need to reealise that Shane's break though game against NZ only came about because Hansen picked his second choice team 'as lambs to the slaughter', as was said on the show. What a sh***y attitude! Shane simply played so well that Hansen couldn't leave him out of the England game.

Hansen really was poor with Wales. He may have done a decent job with NZ, but I remember hating the pr*ck when he was head coach of Wales.

I agree, Hansen was crap, he selected the wrong players and lost all the matches in the 2003 6 Nations before discovering that players he thought were crap were actually good during that New Zealand Wales match where he sent a "weakened" team to get thrashed

he thought before that match that Ceri Sweeney was better than Stephen Jones, and he picked a whole load of crap wingers like Craig Morgan and Tom Shanklin (good player but not a great winger) ahead of arguably the biggest little man of the professional era in Shane

I'm actually not in favour of this.

He's gone out of the international stage on nigh on the perfect way. Why risk it? I understand the whole "if the Baa Baas asky why say no" argument but I loved the way he went out and would hate it if he pulled a muscle 10 minutes in and went off on a stretcher

For me he has already said his goodbye to the Wales fans why play against them in Cardiff for his last ever game how many good byes does one player need, not needed game in my eyes.

Latest posts