• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales bidding for 2010 Euro final

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Welsh Rugby Union group chief executive Roger Lewis says he will be pitching to host next year's Heineken Cup final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. "I've put in a bid," said Lewis, who will discuss the matter on Wednesday at a European Rugby Cup meeting in Dublin.[/b]
<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7862041.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...sh/7862041.stm
</a>
I'd like to see the Heineken Cup final go to continental Europe since it hasn't been held there since 2001 (I think). Perhaps beer sponsorship being banned on the continent is the main barrier to that happening.

well it's basically a 50/50 chance between them and Twickenham as Paris won't get it for the already mentioned reasons and Lansdowne won't be quite reasdy.

Hmmm...Thats interesting considering you'd expect it to be Twickenham :)
But id be shocked if wales did get it Tbh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lansdowne 2011?[/b]

probably depends on when it's played, if it's before or after the Europa Cup final, no point in ******* off UEFA by having a rugby final at the venue possibly 3 days before the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lansdowne 2011?[/b]

probably depends on when it's played, if it's before or after the Europa Cup final, no point in ******* off UEFA by having a rugby final at the venue possibly 3 days before the game.
[/b][/quote]

I don't think theyll host it. Its just really unlikely

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sandman36 @ Jan 31 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 31 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lansdowne 2011?[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
With Lansdowne Rd's capacity being around 25,000 less than the other main contenders for the final, I can't see ERC awarding 2011 to the Dublin venue The extra revenue garnered by playing in a larger venue could be key for the ERC whereas it's less of a problem for a rich organisation like UEFA.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 31 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sandman36 @ Jan 31 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lansdowne 2011?[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
With Lasndowne Rd's capacity being around 25,000 less than the other main contenders for the final, I can't see ERC awarding 2011 to the Dublin venue The extra revenue garnered by playing in a larger venue could be key for the ERC whereas it's less of a problem for a rich organisation like UEFA.
[/b][/quote]

wasn't a factor when it was awarded in 2003 so I don't see how it would be a factor now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
wasn't a factor when it was awarded in 2003 so I don't see how it would be a factor now.[/b]
2003 saw only 30,000 turn up to the game in a 50,000 capacity stadium. While it was contested by two French teams, I doubt the ERC want to risk a repeat of it happening. Unless Irish teams (or an Irish team) are playing, the sporting public here don't really care.

With revenues likely to be down due to the "credit crunch" (who else is sick of hearing about it?), the ERC will want to maximise revenue in every way possible. It's just my opinion though and isn't based on anything other than that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 31 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wasn't a factor when it was awarded in 2003 so I don't see how it would be a factor now.[/b]
2003 saw only 30,000 turn up to the game in a 50,000 capacity stadium. While it was contested by two French teams, I doubt the ERC want to risk a repeat of it happening. Unless Irish teams (or an Irish team) are playing, the sporting public here don't really care.

With revenues likely to be down due to the "credit crunch" (who else is sick of hearing about it?), the ERC will want to maximise revenue in every way possible. It's just my opinion though and isn't based on anything other than that.
[/b][/quote]

the terraces were seated for that match, so it was only 5k off capacity. Had that match been played in the UK the crowd wouldn't have been any bigger.

There will be a final in Dublin in the next few years, if we were gonna go by the logic of maximising revenue the final would never be played outside of Twickenham, which is never gonna happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the terraces were seated for that match, so it was only 5k off capacity.[/b]
The terraces were only seated at the last minute because nobody was buying tickets! By putting bucket seats in place for the match it made the ground look a bit less empty.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Had that match been played in the UK the crowd wouldn't have been any bigger.[/b]
In 2005 two French teams contested the final, this time in Murrayfield. The attendance? 51,326. Nowhere near capacity but still 23,000 more than turned up at Lansdowne Rd two years previously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heineken_Cup_finals

There will be a final in Dublin in the next few years, if we were gonna go by the logic of maximising revenue the final would never be played outside of Twickenham, which is never gonna happen.[/b]
The difference between an 82,000 capacity Twickenham and a 74,500 capacity Millenium isn't all that large. The gaps between these stadia and Lansdowne Rd is significant. Murrayfield has a capacity of 67,500. A full house at Murrayfield would generate approximately â'¬1,400,000 more than a full house at Lansdowne Rd (based on an average price of â'¬80 per ticket). In my opinion that's a significant factor given the current economic climate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 31 2009, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the terraces were seated for that match, so it was only 5k off capacity.[/b]
The terraces were only seated at the last minute because nobody was buying tickets! By putting bucket seats in place for the match it made the ground look a bit less empty.

Had that match been played in the UK the crowd wouldn't have been any bigger.[/b]
In 2005 two French teams contested the final, this time in Murrayfield. The attendance? 51,326. Nowhere near capacity but still 23,000 more than turned up at Lansdowne Rd two years previously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heineken_Cup_finals

There will be a final in Dublin in the next few years, if we were gonna go by the logic of maximising revenue the final would never be played outside of Twickenham, which is never gonna happen.[/b]
The difference between an 82,000 capacity Twickenham and a 74,500 capacity Millenium isn't all that large. The gaps between these stadia and Lansdowne Rd is significant. Murrayfield has a capacity of 67,500. A full house at Murrayfield would generate approximately â'¬1,400,000 more than a full house at Lansdowne Rd (based on an average price of â'¬80 per ticket). In my opinion that's a significant factor given the current economic climate.
[/b][/quote]

It was only after the final of 2003 that they changed the ticketing policy for the final, they started selling tickets in clumps of 5000 at various points throughout the season, there was nothing like that in place for the finals prior to that, so you won't get the same happening in a future Dublin final even if there are 2 French teams involved

Agreed, can we end the monopoly on UK stadiums getting the final and give it to the Stade de France or the Stadio Olympico?

the alcohol advertising ban rules out France, no reason though why Italy shouldn't get a final though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 7 2009, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the alcohol advertising ban rules out France, no reason though why Italy shouldn't get a final though.[/b]

And so what? The alcohol banning didn't prevent the FFR to organize the most profitable RWC so far. This cannot be the only reason.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Apr 7 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 7 2009, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the alcohol advertising ban rules out France, no reason though why Italy shouldn't get a final though.[/b]

And so what? The alcohol banning didn't prevent the FFR to organize the most profitable RWC so far. This cannot be the only reason.
[/b][/quote]

Yea but where the stadiums fully sold out? Where tickets that more expensive compared to Wales in 99?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Apr 7 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

But when the main sponsor is Heiniken and they want their branding all over the pitch, the hoardings and the trophy presentation, will that not cause a problem for the French from a legal point of view?

Not sure, just asking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 7 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Apr 7 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Yea but where the stadiums fully sold out? Where tickets that more expensive compared to Wales in 99?
[/b][/quote]

To be fair, the stadiums did look pretty full and the atmosphere was electric.

The only stadium that didn't seem full in the group stages was the Millenium Stadium :lol:

Latest posts