• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales fly-half

Of the three, who should be the first choice Wales fly-half?

• Dan Biggar

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Rhys Priestland

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • James Hook

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j'nuh

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Gloucester
I did this for England, but I thought why not for Wales too?

The one position that doesn't seem to have settled for Wales: who should play fly-half?

For me, it's a no-brainer and has been for a very, very, very long time. Biggar is one of the most underrated players around. He reminds me of Stephen Jones in his later career. Controls the hell out of a game, makes his tackles, isn't prone to gaffs. Not a maverick type, and that's completely fine with me. I thought he was unlucky not to go on the Lions tour at the time, and that it was nepotism that kept him out of the squad. But right now, I wouldn't have to think twice about taking him. I also think that he should be the Wales goal kicker. Halfpenny has been fantastic and consistent in that capacity... but can you really ignore Biggar's 35-kick no-misses streak?

A goal must be for Patchell to replace Priestland, hopefully by the WC. Hook should be told to make himself a centre or miss out on a chance in the 23. Why he was ever moved away from there is beyond me. It suited his creativity well.

Thoughts?

Part of me wants to see someone a little more creative at 10 for Wales, but at the moment that type of player isn't available. Stephen Jones managed to fit into a creative backline at Llanelli/Scarlets, and he wasn't what you'd call a creative 10, so it's probably more down to the tactics Wales employ as to why we don't see more flowing moves.

Biggar is a world class goal kicker there's no denying that. At regional level, he's a better kicker than Halfpenny, but Halfpenny has been an unbelievable kicker at international level. I'm just happy that we've currently got two of the best goal kickers in the world available to us.

I too would like to see Patchell developed. Whilst he's still a little raw in places, he's shown at different periods that he's got all the necessary skills to be an exceptionally good 10, including a strong kicking game, good distribution, some nice offloads, an eye for a gap, very solid defence, and he's very quick to boot. He's also taken over from Halfpenny as long range goal kicker at the Blues which shows his promise when it comes to place kicking.

For me Priestland is at risk of dropping down the pecking order. At his best, he's a good creative 10, but he's simply not consistent enough, especially in his kicking game and decision making. He's a confidence player, and that always rings alarm bells for me, because an early mistake in a game can render him useless for the remainder.

The clamour for Hook amongst some Welsh fans never seems to end, but I'm very uncertain about him at 10. For a player with over 70 caps, you'd expect him to take any opportunity thrown his way, but he really hasn't done that, even if a lot of his chances over recent seasons have been short cameo's.

No one else comes into the equations yet, with Sam Davies, Matthew Morgan and Tovey not at the required level yet. With Priestland likely moving from the Scarlets next season it'll be interesting to see who becomes their first choice 10. Aled Thomas is an OK backup, but isn't really of the required quality. Maybe Jordan Williams will be employed in the role.

So my current pecking order:

Ban Biggar -> Rhys Priestland, Rhys Patchell -> James Hook ->->-> Jason Tovey, Sam Davies -> Matthew Morgan.

I did this for England, but I thought why not for Wales too?

The one position that doesn't seem to have settled for Wales: who should play fly-half?

For me, it's a no-brainer and has been for a very, very, very long time. Biggar is one of the most underrated players around. He reminds me of Stephen Jones in his later career. Controls the hell out of a game, makes his tackles, isn't prone to gaffs. Not a maverick type, and that's completely fine with me. I thought he was unlucky not to go on the Lions tour at the time, and that it was nepotism that kept him out of the squad. But right now, I wouldn't have to think twice about taking him. I also think that he should be the Wales goal kicker. Halfpenny has been fantastic and consistent in that capacity... but can you really ignore Biggar's 35-kick no-misses streak?

A goal must be for Patchell to replace Priestland, hopefully by the WC. Hook should be told to make himself a centre or miss out on a chance in the 23. Why he was ever moved away from there is beyond me. It suited his creativity well.

Thoughts?

Everything in this post is spot on.

In the little I've seen of Patchell he's looked good, quite big too, so Gats should like him!

I know Shaun Edwards was very complimentary of him when he was analysing for sky.

In the little I've seen of Patchell he's looked good, quite big too, so Gats should like him!

I know Shaun Edwards was very complimentary of him when he was analysing for sky.

Really will be a monster backline if/when he get's a chance.

Phillips - Patchell - Roberts - JD2 - North - Cuthbert - Halfp..... err wait. Mostly monster backline.

Gavin Henson.

But honestly, it's a bit of a conundrum. I'd love to see Sam Davies come through in a couple of years but until then it looks like it's time for an international place-holder. I'm not calling Biggar a bad fly-half by any means, he's just not one to set the sky alight.

Good poll.
I voted for Priestland because I have seen him have some cracking games. He has been ordinary at other times , trouble is I haven't seen enough of Biggar and what I have seen has not impressed me as yet.
So thus far I have to vote for Priestland and Hook should be in the centres or a cover for fullback and first five.

Biggar is, in your words, Flood......or a journeyman! Personally I would raise Flood higher than that and believe he is better for England than oik but that is another thread!

Priestland has something special and I voted for him on the basis that he will get it back after his time off injured before which he was special (in the RWC and lead up)!

Last edited:
In the long run, I believe Rhys Patchell will help usher in a new rein of ginger fly-halves, along with Henry Slade and of course the Ginger Messiah himself, Whacko Jacko.

I wish Hook would sign for an EPL team and put in a clause where he's not allowed to be released for ANY international.

Used to look so promising, but he's been awful at pretty much everything for years now.

I wish Hook would sign for an EPL team and put in a clause where he's not allowed to be released for ANY international.

Used to look so promising, but he's been awful at pretty much everything for years now.

They love him at USAP ....................last season 320 points and 170+ this year says different to you Monsieur Taff!

Hook does decent at club level, just not at standoff. He played good rugby for Wales at centre, and could have made a good partner to Biggar at the Ospreys.

I don't know if he's on such a great contract with his club that he doesn't want to get hurt playing for Wales, but the number of overlaps he blows by not drawing the tackle is incredible. He also doesn't seem willing to tackle, always going for the 'I was trying to rip the ball' which comes off one in ten.

As for his refusal to pass and poor positioning for kicks when he's switched to FB, don't get me started.

He used to be an all rounder, and now when he plays for Wales he still is. Can't tackle, can't kick, can't pass. (I'd say can't catch, but he's rarely in the right position to try (and when he is, he makes poor choices, like taking out Faletao going for a catch that wasn't his)

I don't know if he's on such a great contract with his club that he doesn't want to get hurt playing for Wales, but the number of overlaps he blows by not drawing the tackle is incredible. He also doesn't seem willing to tackle, always going for the 'I was trying to rip the ball' which comes off one in ten.

As for his refusal to pass and poor positioning for kicks when he's switched to FB, don't get me started.

He used to be an all rounder, and now when he plays for Wales he still is. Can't tackle, can't kick, can't pass. (I'd say can't catch, but he's rarely in the right position to try (and when he is, he makes poor choices, like taking out Faletao going for a catch that wasn't his)

The thing is, he could do all of those (tackling has always been a little iffy at times though) when he burst onto the scene in '07. He had a number of excellent games for Wales at 10, including masterminding Wales' defeat of England in the '07 6 nations. I believe Henry stated at the time that if he were a New Zealander, he'd have been pushing Carter for the starting berth.

However, at this point in time I generally agree. I have no idea why, because he's still a supremely talented player, but it just doesn't seem to work. His skill-set suggests that his best position would be at 10, but he's been arguably more effective in the centre (despite not having the pace I deem necessary to play there).

I fully agree regarding him playing at fullback. Doesn't have the pace, or the defensive solidity to play there. His positional play is iffy, and he's shaky under the high ball. He doesn't enter the attacking line at any pace either, instead he stands in the attacking line like a 10 does thus reducing our number of support runners.

Last edited:

Do you remember back in 2005 when he was being touted as the Welsh answer to Dan Carter?

Latest posts