• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales omit Peel for Six Nations

C

Cymro

<div align='center'>
_45389757_peel_sad_huw466x282.jpg

</div><div align='center'>Scrum-half Dwayne Peel is the shock exclusion from Wales' 28-man squad for their defence of the RBS Six Nations. </div>
<div align='center'>"We had a very hard decision to make, but were impressed by the performances of Mike Phillips and Gareth Cooper," said Wales coach Warren Gatland. </div>
<div align='center'>Richard Hibbard is the other surprise omission, while Blues lock Bradley Davies is the only uncapped man. </div>
<div align='center'>Phillips, Gavin Henson, Jamie Roberts, Huw Bennett and Jon Thomas return, while Lee Byrne is also in contention.

Ospreys full-back Byrne is included despite an ankle injury scare on the weekend, as is Scarlets winger Mark Jones, who is recovering from an appendix operation. </div><div align='center'>Both will hope to be fit for Wales' opener against Scotland at Murrayfield on 8 November. </div>
<div align='center'>"Mark is still possibly a week or two away from fitness on medical advice, but he's in there because he is an important cog in the team," said Gatland. </div>
<div align='center'>Dan Biggar, Martin Roberts, Morgan Stoddart and Eifion Roberts drop out of the squad from the autumn Test series. </div>
<div align='center'>Prop Duncan Jones, lock Ian Evans and back-rower Gareth Delve were not considered due to injury.
</div>
<div align='center'>There is no place for Blues winger Tom James, who could be facing a ban after being sent off in the Blues' win over Gloucester on Sunday. </div>
<div align='center'>"There are a few important players back from injury," said Gatland. </div>
<div align='center'>"Huw Bennett is back with us and the likes of Mike Phillips, Gavin Henson and Jonathan Thomas have been unavailable to us for some time now so we think they are going to really to strengthen the squad. </div>
<div align='center'>"[Scrum-half is] a decision that we debated long and hard and the result is really difficult, it probably boiled down to the fact that Mike Phillips has played more rugby than Dwayne Peel since the autumn. </div>
<div align='center'>"But it doesn't mean that the door is always going to be shut for him or anyone." </div>
<div align='center'>Peel, 27, moved from the Scarlets to Sale Sharks in the close season, after Gatland had said that he would give preference to players operating with the Welsh regions. </div>
<div align='center'>The 63-cap scrum-half started all three Tests of the 2005 Lions tour in New Zealand and will be hoping to make this year's trip to South Africa. </div>
<div align='center'>Added Gatland: "We've tried to keep the squad relatively similar to the last Six Nations campaign. </div>
<div align='center'>"Part of that philosophy is to keep everything nice and tight and everyone in the squad feeling there is an opportunity to play for Wales and also make it difficult for people to come into the squad - make players really earn the right." </div>
<div align='center'>*Wales are due to name their team to face Scotland on Wednesday, 4 February (approx. 1300 GMT)</div>
<div align='center'>The Squad
</div>
<div align='center'> </div><div align='center'>Forwards (16): Gethin Jenkins, John Yapp, Adam Jones, Rhys Thomas, Matthew Rees, Huw Bennett, Ian Gough, Alun Wyn Jones, Luke Charteris, Bradley Davies, Ryan Jones (capt), Jonathan Thomas, Dafydd Jones, Andy Powell, Martyn Williams, Robin Sowden-Taylor. </div>
<div align='center'>Backs (12): Mike Phillips, Gareth Cooper, Stephen Jones, James Hook, Gavin Henson, Andrew Bishop, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin, Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Mark Jones, Lee Byrne.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/7837386.stm
</div>

Thats gotta be politics no? I know he hasnt been in top form, but he hasnt been doing THAT badly. Still a class act in my mind, certainly more so than cooper.

There goes his Lions shirt at the same time.

looked very sharp on Friday night when he came on but to omit him over Cooper seems very strange to me.

Gatland has probably put it also down to moving to Sale when he was asked not to do so!

I am also supprised there are only two hookers selected, would have thought Gareth Williams would have got the nod for the third place hooker as he's been in good form this season!

Also suprised that Luke 'Just because im Tall' Chateris has been selected over Deniol Jones is again dissapointing but hey thats life!

I get the impression that Gatland hasn't been on best of terms with Peel from the start. And it was announced publicly that Peel had made the deal with Sale before Gatland made this 'law'.
In fairness to Cooper, he's been solid for Wales recently, but Peel is class and is by far the best we have when on form. And as Tarbh said, he was good when he came on on Friday...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 19 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I get the impression that Gatland hasn't been on best of terms with Peel from the start. And it was announced publicly that Peel had made the deal with Sale before Gatland made this 'law'.
In fairness to Cooper, he's been solid for Wales recently, but Peel is class and is by far the best we have when on form. And as Tarbh said, he was good when he came on on Friday...[/b]

The 'Deal' was not done before 'Law' was set out, I have in good knowledge that when Peel was discussing terms with Sale he was approached by the WRU and also Gatland himself, not to move to Sale! It has therefore cost him his place, it was the wrong move and hopefully the Blues will go after him once the season is over!

He has a three-year deal with Sale so he won't be moving.
And do elaborate on this 'good knowledge'.

You get the impression that a mixture of Gatland's feelings towards Peel and the fact that Peel was not made available for the Australia game, while Cooper was, may have influenced his opinion.

Considering are usual poor lineouts, just the 2 Hookers is surprising - Hibbard has been in good form recently too. But perhaps Gatland feels that Rees/Bennett need more time to develop/grow in confidence to strengthen our weakness in that area.

It is quite unfortunate that Peel has been left out but he should have known what Gatland and Edwards had wanted before he decided to put pen to paper for Sale. Gatland is from the SH school of "make ex-pats leppers" if they dare go abroad and Edwards is so anal about loyalty apparently that he'd give Hitler and his schenanigans about ordering Generals to commit suicide if they'd dare surrender a run for his money!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 19 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He has a three-year deal with Sale so he won't be moving.
And do elaborate on this 'good knowledge'.[/b]

He could move if a club offers Sale a good deal!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SportingNonsense @ Jan 19 2009, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You get the impression that a mixture of Gatland's feelings towards Peel and the fact that Peel was not made available for the Australia game, while Cooper was, may have influenced his opinion.

Considering are usual poor lineouts, just the 2 Hookers is surprising - Hibbard has been in good form recently too. But perhaps Gatland feels that Rees/Bennett need more time to develop/grow in confidence to strengthen our weakness in that area.[/b]

Aye forgot about Hibbard, but for me Rees has had his chance as Wales hooker and has never really impressed me!

Theoretically Peel is the best welsh scrum half but he has been ordinary since 2005. Phillips played almost all the games in the last Grand Slam and Cooper did well in the Autumn Internationals so it's seems fair to me...

Coopers the one in posetion of the shirt, it's what Gatland has always said, Peel had to play better to take it, did he? No, not in my opinion. Phillips has been impressive since returning, his second half display on saturday was immense!

I can't honestly understand why 1. Gareth Williams is still overlooked, possibly for his poor scrummaging? and 2. why Bennet is there instead of Hibbard, I know which ones has been playing better and got better potential.

Finally, Charteris is not international class, sorry. Deiniol Jones should be there imo, but his usually good aspect (linout) was off on sun.

Overall not a bad squad atall, will we finally see my dream centre partnership of Henson, Roberts? God I hope so! Roberts was a man mountain on Sunday, was seriously impressed by him.

In my opinion, his exclusion is down to Philippe Saint Andre. Peel has done nothing wrong at Sale and has always been better than Wiggleswoth, yet the 2 are still rotated each week. So the lack of game time he's had is no fault of his own really, he fully deserves a starting place in the Sale line-up week in week out but he keeps getting rotated with a player who is nowhere near as good in my opinion. Just as he was getting back into form aswel, he looked sharp when he came on against Munster. I'd say thats his Lions's place out the window unfortunatly.

Yeh, but that's Peels fault for signing for a team with a current England International. Sale are an English GP team, one of their roles is to develope players for the England International team, so Wigglesworth should be getting equal, if not more game time. Yes, I agree Peel is a class above when on form, not sure he's back to his world's best yet, not even close if thruth be told, but he's getting there.

It's Peels fault for leaving a struggling Scarlets side for a side where he rarely get's starts. If he wanted a guaranteed starting spot in a different team who were and are going somewhere, then he should have approached the Blues, they are mae for each other.

I understand that the Scarlets is his team, that's where he's grown up (like Stephen Jones) and I'm sure he'll be back, but shame on him for leaving them just when they needed him (it was obvious to all they were struggling). I know a change can do wonders, but the Scarlets are rebuilding their pack slowly and this year are providing much better go foreward, that could have been all the change he needed!

At the end of the day, Peel is a class act, but can't get picked for Wales when he's not playing enough at club level. Shame!

"I know a change can do wonders, but the Scarlets are rebuilding their pack slowly and this year are providing much better go foreward, that could have been all the change he needed!"

Disagreed there. Peel was crap last year and he would have been no better this season behind a terrible Scarlets pack. And in all honesty, the Stade result aside, this season has been worse than last season for the Scarlets, so I don't think he would have benefited by staying.
Though a move to the Blues would have been the wiser choice.

I do think the Scarlets pack has been slightly better, by no means good though. Lyons has been providing great go foreward ball. The rest of the backrow are cr*p though, Easterby is past it and Gavin Thomas isn't up to scratch. Second row's are a bit off aswell.

It's the sheer amount of injuries and the Scarlets ability to pull defeat from the jaws of victory that's hindering them this season imo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 19 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Coopers the one in posetion of the shirt, it's what Gatland has always said, Peel had to play better to take it, did he? No, not in my opinion. Phillips has been impressive since returning, his second half display on saturday was immense!

I can't honestly understand why 1. Gareth Williams is still overlooked, possibly for his poor scrummaging? and 2. why Bennet is there instead of Hibbard, I know which ones has been playing better and got better potential.

Finally, Charteris is not international class, sorry. Deiniol Jones should be there imo, but his usually good aspect (linout) was off on sun.

Overall not a bad squad atall, will we finally see my dream centre partnership of Henson, Roberts? God I hope so! Roberts was a man mountain on Sunday, was seriously impressed by him.[/b]

Gareth Williams get overlooked because of his height <_< ... apparently

To be honest Im a little supprised that Phil John has also been overlooked for Wales, the bloke has been very good for Scarlets all season, and his scrummaging has improved tenfold, and has shown the potential he had when he started his career!

I disagree with people telling me Phillips is a good scrum half now ... his best game so far this season was last saturday's game, bar that hes been poor! Peel really needs to look at himself, this is his kick up his back side!
Peel can make the Lions Squad even without being selected for Wales, all be it it will be hard for himself but he can be there come the Summer!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jan 19 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I disagree with people telling me Phillips is a good scrum half now ... his best game so far this season was last saturday's game, bar that hes been poor![/b]
Surely that's because he's been out injured for 9 months! Sat's game was only his third since returning, so I think that translates into a good scrum half.

He's not a classy scrum half like Peel etc. He brings something completely different, he doesn't faff round at the bottom of rucks cos there isn't enough foreward protection, because he can handle himself. He can be an extra foreward, but he can still make searing breaks around the fringes, he also adds an extra defensive player around the fringes of rucks (see the Ireland game for his tackling abilities, that tackle on Horgan was unbelievable. Remember how bad our fringe defense was in the world cup?)

Most counties would love to have the option of two contrasting scrummies, Phillips + Cooper/Peel. It can completely change the way we can play, as much as changing the 10.

Don't get me wrong, he's still a c*ck!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 19 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jan 19 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree with people telling me Phillips is a good scrum half now ... his best game so far this season was last saturday's game, bar that hes been poor![/b]
Surely that's because he's been out injured for 9 months! Sat's game was only his third since returning, so I think that translates into a good scrum half.

He's not a classy scrum half like Peel etc. He brings something completely different, he doesn't faff round at the bottom of rucks cos there isn't enough foreward protection, because he can handle himself. He can be an extra foreward, but he can still make searing breaks around the fringes, he also adds an extra defensive player around the fringes of rucks (see the Ireland game for his tackling abilities, that tackle on Horgan was unbelievable. Remember how bad our fringe defense was in the world cup?)

Most counties would love to have the option of two contrasting scrummies, Phillips + Cooper/Peel. It can completely change the way we can play, as much as changing the 10.

Don't get me wrong, he's still a c*ck!
[/b][/quote]

To be honest Phillips and Peel are good scrum half's to have because both offer something different!

Im still confused about how he's picked Cooper. In my opinion he's a class below the other two, and (please correct me if im wrong), im sure he's not a regular starter at Gloucester, so to ommit Peel because he's not starting for his club is very wierd. Im sure theres more to it

Latest posts