Wales-South Africa 43rd and 79th minutes

vaindioux

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
France
Hi

I am a football guy but I have been watching the 6 nations and the world cups all my life (I am 52 Y.O.)
There are rules that I don't understand at rugby.
In the 43rd minutes the 2 number 9 get into a little shoving match. It's a fair fight if you can call it that right?
Why does that huge Welsh guy gets involved and start shoving the small South-African number 9?
He looked a little bit like a coward to me to take on such a smaller guy than him.
In that same incident how come no big South-African player come to defend their number 9?
That would never happen in hockey were they leave the 2 guys sort it out.
Second thing in the 79th minute during that scrum won by South-Africa, I watched the pictures 4 times on youtube and still don't understand why they won the scrum? What did Wales do to loose that scrum?
If you can give me the number of the Welsh player at fault I would like to watch on youtube again.

Good luck England and south-Africa in the final but I don't see how England would not get their second crown.

Regard

Pat

Allez les bleus

Hi
Why does that huge Welsh guy gets involved and start shoving the small South-African number 9?

Second thing in the 79th minute during that scrum won by South-Africa, I watched the pictures 4 times on youtube and still don't understand why they won the scrum? What did Wales do to loose that scrum?
If you can give me the number of the Welsh player at fault I would like to watch on youtube again.

First, the South African 9 started all that and it was actually him who grabbed the Welsh player, not the other way round. He did that because he knew he was safe as the Welsh player could do nothing but grab him back. If he had grabbed Moriarty it may have been different as he probably would have tried to strangle him.

Second, I haven't been able to find footage showing the final scrum again so may need to come back to this but if I recall it correctly, South Africa were moving forwards in the scrum. The opposition have to stay in line and not collapse. What Wales did is they simply wheeled around to the side and tried to push sideways, which is illegal. Often these decisions can go either way but as a general rule of thumb you can tell who is to blame because one team will wheel and still end up going forwards whilst the other team will pivot around one of their props and simply spin on the spot. In this case, Wales wheeled around their loosehead prop whilst South Africa went forwards.

Ragerancher

Got it on the scrum, I will now watch out for teams wheeling around or collapsing in the scrum. I am glad I learned that.

Thanks a lot and best regards

Pat

Latest posts