• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Squad 6 Nations '10

D

DuncTheDoodle

http://www.wru.co.uk/22967.php

The squad is to be named at 12:55 on Monday on the WRU website, and is expected to contain a few suprises. Welsh media are claiming that Dragons prop Hugh Guffstafson is in the squad, alongside the Blues non-capped Scrum Half, Richie Rees.

Gustafson has looked good of late. He's a powerful ball carrier and solid in the scrums. Much more potential than the likes of John Yapp. He certainly looks the part, very stocky and no neck to speak of. It's about time Gatland freshened things up a bit.

Ken Owens will be there along with Gufs, Gareth Williams, Richie Rees and probably one from Fussell and Brew from the Dragons!

Brew is the form winger in Wales at the moment. He's joint with Tommy Bowe as top try scorer in the Magners' League, and deserves the place. Ken Owens should be in there aswell.

Still not convinced that Gareth Williams should be there. If he were rock solid in the linout then yes. But he's been average in the linout, and offers little at scrum time due to his size. I'd have Hibbard instead. He was very good today, but for a couple of bad linouts, and gives another important ball carrying option. Ken Owens should be there, but he hasn't quite kept up the form he showed at the start of the season. It will certainly be interesting to see which 3 hookers get places, as they could be any 3 from around 7, especially considering Gatland seems to like Bennett!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 16 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Still not convinced that Gareth Williams should be there. If he were rock solid in the linout then yes. But he's been average in the linout, and offers little at scrum time due to his size. I'd have Hibbard instead. He was very good today, but for a couple of bad linouts, and gives another important ball carrying option. Ken Owens should be there, but he hasn't quite kept up the form he showed at the start of the season. It will certainly be interesting to see which 3 hookers get places, as they could be any 3 from around 7, especially considering Gatland seems to like Bennett![/b]

Dunno who you been watching but Gareth Williams has been outside of Rees and Owens, Wales next best option. People can talk about his size but thats a poor man's excuse. He is solid in attack and defence and his lineout throwing is good, im afraid that the Blues jumpers and lifters are not on the same wavelength and can often lead to ball from lineouts being lost.

His lineout throwing was very good last season, but it has dipped a little this season. Not sure why that is, maybe it is the jumpers fault. Hibbard's throwing isn't great either, but it has been improving steadily. Scrummaging cannot be underestimated at international level though GJ#1, if the scrum isn't solid it can make life very very hard. There's no getting away from the fact that Williams is a very small hooker, and it will (and has in the past) count against him. The Blues often struggle scrum-time, and that in part must be due to Gareth Williams.

His workrate around the field is great to see. Some of his skill's are great for a hooker. He's always covering back for the Blues, dropping on the ball etc. And yes, he is decent with ball in hand aswell, but doesn't carry anywhere neer as well as Hibbard or Steve Jones.

I'd have no problems with him getting a place in the squad, but I'd personally prefer to see Hibbard or Steve Jones there instead, especially when we bring age into things. Afterall it's not as if Gareth Williams is a youngster, nor is he a seasoned international with 50+ caps. He's the wrong side of 30, with very few caps to his name. Why not develop the youngsters like Hibbard and Owens?

fingerscrossed.jpg

NO SHANKLIN-ROBERTS COMBO! NO SHANKLIN-ROBERTS COMBO!

He'll get a decent amount of gametime MunsterMachine. Will be very interesting to see who starts v England. My money's on a Hook - Roberts combo, but that depends on Hook getting gametime in the centre for the O's next week, and if he shows some form.

Cant see the Hook-Roberts combo working. Hook is a distibuting first centre and needs someone faster than Roberts outside him while Roberts is a strong bashing first centre so I cant see two first centres being a good combo...

I wouldn't be considering Hook for the long run, simply because he's ****. However I'd pick him against England because he always plays amazing against us.

But you're basing that on his performances in 2007 and 2008 Gingergenius. Back then, Hook was a good player full stop. Most of Wales were crying out for him to be the permanent starter at 10 instead of Jones in '07. In '08 him and Jones were given equal gametime, which really helped Wales win the grand slam, as they could bring on someone who would completely change the playing style.

Hook hasn't become a terrible player overnight, he has however been exposed at fly-half, where his game managment isn't up to scratch. He remains a good running player with good distribution and kicking game. From that description, he seems perfect for centre (especially now his defense is solid). He could combine well with Roberts (who's no slouch MunsterMachine, hence him playing on the wing in his first cap), as they are very different players. The problem I see with the previous combinations with Roberts involved are that they are too similar. Robert - Shanklin, Roberts - Davies, even trying Roberts - Bishop is similar. If I were Gatland, I'd try a Hook - Roberts combo and use a game plan where the two constantly switch positions depending on quality of ball and whats in front of them.

Hook has the ability to beat defenders with his footwork (so if there's some forwards in midfield, he should be at 12), whilst Roberts can run through tackles (if a winger is filling a gap in midfield for example). With Lee Byrne back and looking good, he will increase the attacking options in midfield, and hopefully allow Roberts a little more space. Bring Shane and the other winger in to run supporting lines alongside Hook, Roberts and Byrne, should be dangerous.

We need to also consider a midfield without Roberts. He's showed he can be a great player, but if we can't get a combination that works, we need to find one that does. This is still why everyone goes on about Henson. He really is Wales' ideal centre. He has great distribution (the best in Wales), can break the line (although lacks a bit of pace), has an awesome kicking game (when he didn't have a groin injury, i.e. pre 2006), can take the ball up as well as most crash ball centres, and offloads well out the tackle. At least we have an oportunity to develop some new centres while he's out. Roberts would haver have switched positions if Henson was still playing for example.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 17 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
(who's no slouch MunsterMachine, hence him playing on the wing in his first cap)[/b]

Ya but I'd just prefer to see him play first centre because he is brilliiant in small spaces for a huge man because he can beat the first tackle and he also has amazingly soft hands but thats just my opinion...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 17 2010, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hook can play 13........[/b]

I've been saying that for yonks and Warren Gatland just won't listen to me.

Classic way of doing your centres is bashy inside cent, elusive outside centre:

Ala:

Nonu - Smith
Roberts - Bod
Maggs - Bod
De Villiers - Earls

Roberts - Hook.

Inside centre punches a hole, second centre goes through it.

Edit: Thought Ken Owens had a fantastic match today. Should definitely get a call up.

Yup. We've just had a bit of an obsession lately with trying to find a 'second 5/8th' as they call it. I suppose it's come from Henson, as he had the skills of an outside half playing at 12. The difference was that he was also capable of bashing it up the middle and releasing the outside centre.

Roberts - Hook is the next option to try, and it needs to be given time to work. It sounded like Gatland was hinting at something like that in his post AI's interview.

The BBC website claims that Gatland is conisdering picking 19-year-old Neath winger Kristian Phillips, who I once told to pull his socks up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 17 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jan 17 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Roberts - Hook[/b]
Thats better... Roberts - Hook should work a lot better than Hook - Roberts
[/b][/quote]
Yeh, sorry. Wasn't really paying much attention to which way round I'd put them.

Not sure if Kristian Phillips would be a great idea. He's got a big future, but needs more gametime with the O's first (will that happen with Bowe, Williams and Walker all there?). Same thing with Prydie.

I'd include: Shane, Tom James, Halfpenny and Brew as the 4 wingers. Halfpenny's not in great form, but he's got experience and that boot. James hasn't seen much ball, but has still looked dangerous when he has. Brew is in form, and I've always liked him. Was playing well for the Dragon's when he was there on loan, then went back to the 'spreys and didn't get a look in, back in form now though.

Latest posts