• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Squad Announced For 2018 Six Nations

GarethGriffiths

Academy Player
Wales squad for the 2018 Six Nations
Forwards: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Ken Owens (Scarlets) ,Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Adam Beard (Ospreys) ,Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, capt), James Davies (Scarlets), Taulupe Faletau (Bath), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys).

Backs: Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Bath), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Gloucester), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester Warriors), Hallam Amos (Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Steff Evans (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets), George North (Northampton Saints), Liam Williams (Saracens).

On the whole quite happy with it, Thomas Young perhaps could have been included. Quite a few players are injured currently though and aren't due back till part way through which is a bit of a concern. Really hoping that Patchell get's some game time at 10, Biggar is a good player but I still don't think he is the correct 10 to lead the expansive game Wales want to play.

James Davies is a fantastic player everytime I've seen Scarlets. One of the few Welsh lads I keep an eye on.

Also, has VC been banned?

Reasonably happy with that. Great to see James Davies finally recognised for his outstanding form. I'd probably still start Tipuric against Scotland because he's an exceptional player in his own right, but Davies should get an opportunity early to lay down a marker.

Josh Adams is another good inclusion. Could find himself involved v Scotland.

My one gripe is with the inclusion of injured players. North, Amos and Faletau shouldn't be in the squad. Add them once they return and prove fitness for their region/club, but selecting them now sends the wrong message. What's Dan Evans to think, with 2 injured players preferred to him. I have my reservations about Dan Evans, but he has more than earnt an opportunity at least! Cuthbert is a garbage selection as well, he's simply not very good with little to no rugby intelligence. I know we're thin on the ground out wide, but all the more reason to reward Dan Evans.

Second row is still looking very weak. Davies has shown some form, but he's a mile from the mobile, athletic modern second row! Seb Davies hasn't played in a while, Beard is still learning, whilst Hill is a very ordinary player imo despite what Wales say about him being the most improved Welsh player!

On a completely unrelated point, I just looked up James Davies' measurements on the Scarlets website and it has him down as 187cm and 93kg. Is that right?! Only 14 and a half stone for a Flanker. That's pretty much the exact height and weight of Anthony Watson. That's pretty weird if true.

On a completely unrelated point, I just looked up James Davies' measurements on the Scarlets website and it has him down as 187cm and 93kg. Is that right?! Only 14 and a half stone for a Flanker. That's pretty much the exact height and weight of Anthony Watson. That's pretty weird if true.
Wikipedia (the most reliable of outlets) has him as 1.83m and 102kg which seems much more feesible. 103kg is tiny for an international forward.

93kg might not be miles out. He definitely appears smaller than his brother who's down as 104kg everywhere e.g. :

JS99135144.jpg

Last edited:
He is definitely on the smaller side for a professional flanker but he hasn't struggled with physicality so far although he has never been tested internationally.

Reasonably happy with that. Great to see James Davies finally recognised for his outstanding form. I'd probably still start Tipuric against Scotland because he's an exceptional player in his own right, but Davies should get an opportunity early to lay down a marker.

Josh Adams is another good inclusion. Could find himself involved v Scotland.

My one gripe is with the inclusion of injured players. North, Amos and Faletau shouldn't be in the squad. Add them once they return and prove fitness for their region/club, but selecting them now sends the wrong message. What's Dan Evans to think, with 2 injured players preferred to him. I have my reservations about Dan Evans, but he has more than earnt an opportunity at least! Cuthbert is a garbage selection as well, he's simply not very good with little to no rugby intelligence. I know we're thin on the ground out wide, but all the more reason to reward Dan Evans.

Second row is still looking very weak. Davies has shown some form, but he's a mile from the mobile, athletic modern second row! Seb Davies hasn't played in a while, Beard is still learning, whilst Hill is a very ordinary player imo despite what Wales say about him being the most improved Welsh player!

Who gives a **** what Dan Evans thinks. He's not an international Calibre player. His constant whinging in the press has made me lose any respect I had for him. He's delusional if he thinks he's good enough.

Last edited:
How many of the back 3 are actually going to be available for the Scotland game? I fear there may be a too few many who are just coming back from injury.

How many of the back 3 are actually going to be available for the Scotland game? I fear there may be a too few many who are just coming back from injury.

Only definitely fit players at this stage are Halfpenny, Steff Evans, Josh Adams & Alex Cuthbert; with Patch and Anscombe also able to cover fullback.

Biggar confirmed to be out for at least 3 rounds. I'm hoping this gives Patchell a chance but it will probably be Anscombe or Williams moving there from 12.

From what I can gather the only ones definitely injured for the first game are Falteau, Preistland and Biggar. However there are questions over the fitness of Amos, North, Halfpenny and Liam Williams, basically the entire back 3. Steff Evans is fit but has missed the last four weeks due to a ban.

Webb is now definitely out with Tomos Williams called up as cover, Liam Williams extremely doubtful................................... well ****

Gareth Davis is in better form anyway, and would have been my pick to start v Scotland. He could be a real standout this 6 nations because he's been on fire for the Scarlets of late.

I think you should just stack the back line with Scarlets now with either North or Adams on the wing. Davies, Patchell, Evans, Williams, Parkes, Adam/North, Halfpenny

I think you should just stack the back line with Scarlets now with either North or Adams on the wing. Davies, Patchell, Evans, Williams, Parkes, Adam/North, Halfpenny

Yeah, I'd certainly look to do the same.

An argument could be made for sticking with Owen Williams at 12, but Parkes has a pretty good mix to his game, and with a more expansive 10, Williams isn't quite as necessary.

A lot is being made of our injuries, but in some ways they could improve us. Faletau, Foxy and Sanjay are always going to be tough to replace, bus we've got some decent alternatives. Ball is also a loss considering our lack of strength at lock; but imo Lydiate, Warbs, Biggar, Prieatland, and Webb arent massive losses.

Personally looking forward to see if Wales can show some propper attacking intent with a different 10 running the show.

Latest posts