• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Summer Tour 2012

It's a good result regardless of the players the Brumbies had. You need reminding of what happened in the 1996 tour of Australia. A wins a win on tour, especially when Wales could have easily lost this game.

Who cares about the 1996 tour. Wales were pathetic during the whole of the 90's, need i remind you of the scandals. That was a very weak Brumbies with numerous semi pro club players and we should have beaten them more convincingly. I'm happy with the result though.

Last edited:
Well either way, a win on tour is a win regardless of opposition, That brumbies side was half decent and there were some definite danger men in there as well as playing them in canberra wasn't really expecting a massive blowout. Definitely keen for Saturday's game

On the other hand i guess the changes at half time would have disrupted things and in the end trying out players was the main purpose of that. Still think a big score would have helped with morale though.

Well trying to find out a score for this while traveling back from Aberdeen was indeed fun!! Obviously no-one could catch the game in the uk, so write ups are the only form of review. A wins a win, but a win for Wales today is about as big as if the Aussies had beaten the Ospreys a few years back. Its not a loss, but the sides playing were not at full. Nice game to have though, very "old school".

Read that Beck looked quite good, so that should add some interest for saturday. He's a silky player, and needs some international gametime to progress even further, could be the creativity needed at 12 (I do like a flair 12 over a battering ram)

Who cares about the 1996 tour. Wales were pathetic during the whole of the 90's, need i remind you of the scandals. That was a very weak Brumbies with numerous semi pro club players and we should have beaten them more convincingly. I'm happy with the result though.

Could say a Wales side having not played together is also a reason why Wales did not beat the Brumbies more convincingly. Also tours are about ensuring you win games to build momentum for the tests. A win's a win, the 1996 tour will have taught players a lot about themselves also as any tour does.

Pictures from today's game:

http://www.welshrugbypics.co.uk/events/3407-act-brumbies-v-wales-120612

Last edited:
Apparently the local ref is not making many friends lol

with the locals or the Welsh?

That was a very weak Brumbies with numerous semi pro club players and we should have beaten them more convincingly. I'm happy with the result though.

that comment contradicts itself :lol:

Could say a Wales side having not played together is also a reason why Wales did not beat the Brumbies more convincingly. Also tours are about ensuring you win games to build momentum for the tests. A win's a win, the 1996 tour will have taught players a lot about themselves also as any tour does.

Pictures from today's game:

http://www.welshrugbypics.co.uk/events/3407-act-brumbies-v-wales-120612

agree

So team for Sat? I'm expecting a few changes (one forced due to Faletau being out). This is what I'd like to see:

01 Gethin Jenkins - Not at his best last week. Will surely want to put that right.
02 Richard Hibbard - We seemed to lack a little physicality in the contact area last week, Hibbard can inject some of that.
03 Adam Jones - Similar to Gethin really.
04 Ian Evans - He bring physicality, and his workrate is top notch. Missed badly in the contact area last week.
05 Alun Wyn Jones - Missed his big tackling last week. Again, his workrate was missed in the first half.
06 Dan Lydiate - One of the few Welsh players to stand-out. More of the same please Dan.
07 Sam Warburton - Tempted to pick Tipuric, but Warburton grew as the game went on last week. Expect him to be back to something resembling his best with a game under his belt.
08 Ryan Jones - Really added some impetus last week. He's been in phenomenal form and probably deserves to start. Better at 6 really, but needs must.

09 Rhys Webb - Phillips was poor last week. Webb should add some much needed spark around the ruck. No quick lineouts though Rhys!
10 James Hook - Priestland has been poor of late unfortunately. Hook has been in decent form.
11 George North - Hopefully he's fit, we need him!
12 Ashley Beck - Showed what he can offer with his first touch. Will add some much needed creativity to midfield.
13 Jon Davies - Hopefully will thrive outside Beck. Davies is a proven finisher, but needs to give the pass when it's on.
14 Alex Cuthbert - Great last week, more of the same.
15 Lee Halfpenny - Our best option at fullback, and another who stood out last week.

16 Matthew Rees - Offered a good impact last week. I feel a little sorry for Ken, but I'm sure he'll get more chances.
17 Paul James - Who else? Great option on the bench.
18 Tipuric - Openside is such an important position, Tips is needed on the bench.
19 Gareth Delve - Straight into the 22. His experience of playing in Aus could come in useful. Good impact off the bench.
20 Mike Phillips - Will be chomping at the bit, should offer great impact.
21 Rhys Priestland - Covers 10 and 15, with Hook covering the centres.
22 Scott Williams - Should be fit by all accounts.

I think Howley will go with Rees to start at Hooker, and Phillips and Pristland will keep their places. Maybe I've gone for too many changes, but I just feel like some players need a bit of a kick up the arse (I'm looking at you Priestland).

Edit. Oops, didn't see the matchday thread (sure it wasn't there when I started this). Might be worth shifting this post to there, but doesn't make much difference.

Last edited:
Listened to a bit of the Brumbies match, sounded like Beck and Hibbard were everywhere! Would love to see them start on Saturday!

Agree with Cymro. Before the match I was banging on about the 66-6 drubbing the Waratahs gave us in 1996, and I'm just glad we avoided defeat in a banana skin game. After all, we did Australia in 2006 and I'm sure as hell they weren't expecting or happy about that one!!

Thanks for the link, was interesting to watch. Seemed like a bit of a meh game, few little nice touches from Beck and Hook, but a little flat. How deep was Hook in those Highlights though, seemed as if he was miles far back :p :p

Interesting to hear the Warburton to 8 switch??? Bit strange, but obviously Tupuric has impressed

Well he did captain the u20s and other age groups from 8, and I think he's played there at senior level too? Could do well behind what could be a dominant scrum, and he's a good ball carrier in the loose. Plus Tipuric is on fire atm, deserves a crack and having two 'fetchers' on the field could give us an edge at the breakdown

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk 2

Well he did captain the u20s and other age groups from 8, and I think he's played there at senior level too? Could do well behind what could be a dominant scrum, and he's a good ball carrier in the loose. Plus Tipuric is on fire atm, deserves a crack and having two 'fetchers' on the field could give us an edge at the breakdown

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk 2
Don't know if he ever did for the Blues, but he did play at 8 regularly for Glamorgan Wanderers.

Didn't he play at 8 on his first cap Vs the USA, after Ryan went off early on? I suggested playing Sam at 8 to someone earlier in the week and was laughted off. I'm quite hopeful we see Tipuric start one way or the other, anyway, as he's in far better form than Sam, mighty captain or not.

He did indeed Dunc. Hibbard played on the flank as well, after Sowden-Taylor went off.

I remember Huw Bennett came on as Number 8 for Alix Popham in South Africa in 2004. That was a laugh.

Matthew Rees likes this.

remember this ...

after his umpteenth crap throw you can hear one of the players yell "what the f***ing hell's that?"

this must have been Bennett's worst ever match for Wales

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WgP1T-vaH8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Latest posts