• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Team, Six Nations 2013

Ospreylian

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
So at present, with injuries and availability taken into account, who would be in your team to face Ireland in the opening round of the 6 Nations this year?
Here's mine:

1. Paul James
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Ryan Jones
6. Justin Tipuric
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau

9. Mike Phillips
10. Dan Biggar
11. Eli Walker
12. Ashley Beck (If available, if not, Scott Williams)
13. Jonathan Davies
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Bench: Gethin Jenkins, Scott Andrews, Scott Baldwin, James Percival (controversial, I know), Aaron Shingler/Kieran Murphy, Tavis Knoyle, James Hook (If available), Liam Williams

Obviously there are some massive injury issues with Wales at the moment. If fit, Lydiate, Charteris, Evans, Wyn-Jones, etc. would have been in my squad. I know having Ryan Jones at lock isn't ideal, but I think his leadership and quality of play at the moment is too good to leave out of the team. I put Tipuric at blindside flanker because I think he is also a player too good to miss. Having two opensides on the field has been shown to work in many circumstances, and both Tipuric and Warburton are excellent at turning ball over at the minute. They also both offer different styles of loose play and defensive play.

I've included Eli Walker because I think he is a rising star in Wales, one that, if developed properly, has the potential to be world class imo. Cuthbert misses out but only by a whisker. If he was playing in a team that was thriving maybe things would be different, but the Blues rarely have enough front-foot ball for him to show off his skills. I also favour Beck over Roberts. Beck has the same ball-crash style as Roberts from time to time, but he also offers a lot more creativity and awareness around the field.

As for the bench, Baldwin has had a great season for the Ospreys. James Percival is apparently one of the top two ball-carrying locks in the Aviva Premiership at the moment, and Kieran Murphy has excelled at Number 8 for the Scarlets. They have found a brilliant replacement for the massive loss that was Ben Morgan leaving for Gloucester.

I wouldn't put ryan in at lock tbh I'd move Shingler there personally. As for the Eli again I'd rather cuthbert and let eli develop a bit more at regional level. For the bench, no to Scott Andrews would rather Rhys Gill or even craig mitchell there, swap James Percival with another lock he may not even want to play for Wales for starters. With Shingler on at 5 I'd then say Navaidi to the bench, can cover both sides. I'd also say no to Tav and go with someone like Lloyd Williams (I know off form but different style to Phillips)

Last edited:
Of those currently out injured, I think we'll see the following fit to face Ireland: Ashley Beck, Justin Tipuric, Alex Cuthbert, James Hook, Ian Evans, Bradley Davies, Gethin Jenkins, Samson Lee, Ken Owens, Matthew Rees & Liam Williams. Apparently both Alun-Wyn Jones and Dan Lydiate could be fit, but might have had very little or no game time under their belts. Here's my 23 without the latter two:

01 Paul James
02 Richard Hibbard
03 Adam Jones
04 Bradley Davies
06 Ryan Jones/Sam Warburton
07 Sam Warburton/Justin Tipuric
08 Toby Faletau

09 Mike Phillips
10 Dan Biggar
11 George North
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Jon Davies
14 Alex Cuthbert
15 Leigh Halfpenny

16 Ken Owens
17 Gethin Jenkins
18 Craig Mitchell
19 Lloyd Peers
20 Aaron Shingler
22 James Hook
23 Richard Fussell

Not sure who to partner Bradley at second row if Alun-Wyn isn't fit. Ian Evans generally takes a while to recover some form after an injury, so he's not the kind of player that can be chucked straight back into the team. Lou Reed did OK in the Autumn when called upon, but I don't really want to see him starting for Wales if we can help it. It'd be a big ask for Lloyd Peers to go straight into the starting line-up, although he could be a good option from the bench. Ryan Jones could also be moved with Warburton moving across to 6 and Tips starting at 7, or bringing Shingler in at 6.

I'd stick with Roberts at 12 for the minute. Beck's form isn't as great as it was last season, although he should start v Italy. Leave the back three as it is and give them ball on the front foot and they will cause havoc once again. Give Eli Walker a little more time. Yes, he's got the potential to be a great player, but no need to rush him.

On the bench, I'd have Ken Owens at hooker. He was easily our best ball carrier in the Autumn. Whilst I like Baldwin, I'd prefer to stick with someone who already has international experience for the minute until Baldwin is playing substantially better than them. I'm not sure who to have as replacement scrum-half! Tavis is too similar to Phillips imo, while Lloyd Williams is banned (might be free for the 6 nations, but even then he will be short of game time). The Scarlets can't make their minds up as to who is their best scrum half, rotating them every week, making the inclusion of Rhodri Davies or Aled Davies difficult, and Rhys Webb has well and truly turned to sh*t. In the end, Knoyle might be our only option. Fussell would make a good bench option to cover the back three. Liam Williams cannot field a high ball, whilst having Eli Walker at 23 limits our fullback cover.

Last edited:
15 Halfpenny
14 Cuthbert
13 DaviesJ
12 Beck
11 North
10 Biggar
09 Phillips

01 James
02 Hibbard
03 JonesA
04 JonesR
05 Davies
06 Shingler
07 Tipuric
08 Faletau

16 Owens
17 Jenkins
18 Andrews
19 Reed/Peers/King
20 Warburton
21 Williams
22 Hook
23 Roberts

Wider training squad: Baldwin (Sorry O's), Bevington, (tighthead? Don't say Lee. Mitchell fit?), Peers/King, Pretorius, Knoyle, Patchell/Robinson, Walker

1. Paul James
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Aaron Shingler
6. Sam Warburton
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Toby Faletau

9. Mike Phillips
10. Dan Biggar
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Matthew Rees
17. Gethin Jenkins
18. Craig Mitchell
19. James Goode
20. Ryan Jones
21. Tavis Knoyle
22. James Hook
23. Liam Williams

Owens, Bevington, Andrews/Lee, Percival, Peers, Navidi, Lloyd Williams, Patchell, Scott Williams, Beck, Walker

I'd also poach James Percival, though only because Charteris, AWJ & Ianto are out. Not quite sold on Peers as of yet, but he looks a better prospect than Lou Reed, at whom I'm still annoyed about the Australia game. Considering Warburton's looked his best this season when playing in partnership with Navidi, I feel playing Warburton & Tipuric together really is justified. Navidi's also playing well, so deserves a call up, at least until Alun Wyn & Ianto are back, and as if by magic some backrowers appear in the squad, no longer being confined to 4 and 5. Matthew Rees is a better impact player than Ken, although I'd rather see Ken start if/when Hibbard gets injured. Patchell to train with the squad for experiences sake, playing odd games with either the Blues or the U20s. He should earn his first cap out in Japan. Scrum Half is slightly problematic at the minute, to be honest, but I'm still a fan of Tav. I'd love to see Eli get gametime at some stage in the tournament, too.

+1 for the dual opensides.
+1 for Fussell for the Wales squad

Ospreylian, how would you feel about Stephen Jones coming back into the Wales squad? ;)

+1 for the dual opensides.

Ospreylian, how would you feel about Stephen Jones coming back into the Wales squad? ;)

I'm not Ospreylian, but please no.
Young doesn't seem to know who to play between him and Robinson. I prefer Nicky personally, and we should have Hook back.

Part of me thinks Jones' level head and experience would benefit the team as a whole, and that he would be a great player to come off the bench if in need. But part of me also thinks that the six nations training environment is a great opportunity for Rhys Patchell to get some experience at international level. I can't see Biggar or Hook being left out, so it's just a question of Jones or Patchell for me. Hmmmmmm........hmmmmm....

I don't see the point in having Stephen Jones back in the squad either. Dan Biggar plays a similar game, but will hopefully develop into a better player. As Draggs says, Hook will be available, and we need to learn how to use him quickly, or he'll become another Welsh player not to fulfil his potential (despite racking up caps, 67 at the age of 27). For third choice, I'd like to see one of Patchell or Matthew Morgan involved in the squad. Patchell is probably front runner, but it might be more beneficial for him to play for the U20's, and for Morgan to be involved with the senior squad after being involved with the U20's for the past couple of seasons (I'm guessing Morgan is now ineligible for the U20's?).

Last edited:
Matthew Morgan should be no where near the Welsh team. He still isn't really Pro12 level. What Patchell has over Morgan is as some say 'composure'. Morgan makes exciting breaks, but he can get isolated and will really not find the gaps in international rugby. Patchell has a solid boot so far and seems decent in defence. I don't think he would get as easily overwhelmed. Fussell over Liam Williams if we must pick one. Bearman over McCusker/Turnbull/Murphy. Poor Ospreys won't have a team left!

Matthew Morgan should be no where near the Welsh team. He still isn't really Pro12 level. What Patchell has over Morgan is as some say 'composure'. Morgan makes exciting breaks, but he can get isolated and will really not find the gaps in international rugby. Patchell has a solid boot so far and seems decent in defence. I don't think he would get as easily overwhelmed. Fussell over Liam Williams if we must pick one. Bearman over McCusker/Turnbull/Murphy. Poor Ospreys won't have a team left!

I agree to some extent, but would Patchell get more from playing in the U20 6N than training with the Welsh squad (but more than likely not getting any game time)? I'm not quite sure what is best for him (disregarding what is best for Wales, and ignoring other players for the second). Phil Davies has come out to say that he's not ready for international rugby yet, so there's a great confidence boost for Patchell (Davies is a fool).

Regarding Morgan, I feel his game has developed somewhat this season. He controls the game better, and his kicking at goal has improved. He's bringing those around him in well, in a similar way to how Shane Williams did when he received the ball at first receiver. If anything, I've seen him do very few searing breaks this season, h's playing it much safer. His defence is still a worry mind. I think Morgan could learn a lot from being around the squad, especially from Shaun Edwards. I'm sure Patchell would also learn a lot, but he may learn more by playing in the good competition like the U20 6N.

I'd keep Patchell with the U20's honestly. Maybe have him pop over for a few senior training sessions, but no caps until Japan if possible. Hook and Biggar should work provided they stay fit. We also have the Sweendog, don't forget!

I'm not Ospreylian, but please no.
Young doesn't seem to know who to play between him and Robinson. I prefer Nicky personally, and we should have Hook back.
I don't think it's been widely reported, but Stephen Jones has been out injured for a lot of the season so far. I think he's a clear first choice when not injured.

But imo it's better to have an old experienced guy who won't let the team down over a young one who isn't ready for it yet. The young one's time will come, and a player can be damaged by international rugby when not ready for it. (Priestland.) Biggar and Hook are definitely in, but I'd be happy with Stephen Jones as a third, if only for cover.

I say this, but maybe Patchell is ready. I don't think Stephen Jones would be a bad choice though.

15 Halfpenny
14 Cuthbert
13 DaviesJ
12 Beck
11 North
10 Biggar
09 Phillips

01 James
02 Hibbard
03 JonesA
04 JonesR
05 Davies
06 Shingler
07 Tipuric
08 Faletau

16 Owens
17 Jenkins
18 Andrews
19 Reed/Peers/King
20 Warburton
21 Williams
22 Hook
23 Roberts

Wider training squad: Baldwin (Sorry O's), Bevington, (tighthead? Don't say Lee. Mitchell fit?), Peers/King, Pretorius, Knoyle, Patchell/Robinson, Walker

Made return last weekend from the bench. Should have a months worth play by 6N.

I like your team apart from Mitchell ahead of Andrews, Warburton starting 6 ahead of Shingler. It is still infuriating by the way that none of the Welsh scrum halves have improved enough so we can say we have a better option than Mike Phillips, who although past his best as an international and didn't have the greatest form last year is still the best option.

I don't think it's been widely reported, but Stephen Jones has been out injured for a lot of the season so far. I think he's a clear first choice when not injured.

But imo it's better to have an old experienced guy who won't let the team down over a young one who isn't ready for it yet. The young one's time will come, and a player can be damaged by international rugby when not ready for it. (Priestland.) Biggar and Hook are definitely in, but I'd be happy with Stephen Jones as a third, if only for cover.

I say this, but maybe Patchell is ready. I don't think Stephen Jones would be a bad choice though.
I mean no disrespect, but when you say you would be happy with so-and-so playing for Wales, I am not sure whether that is good ;)

A month playing should be minimum, but good for wider training squad and perhaps a few off the bench. Andrews has played well for us in the past few matches, and I would certainly go with Mitchell ahead of him if he is fully fit.
I like Shingler's style, could work with the fetching of Tipuric and defence of Faletau. I am open to Warburton and Tipuric together, but I don't think Howley is.

Who does Howley dislike the least: Hook or Biggar?

Agree about scrumhalves. I hope my avatar will have an 'improvement' soon :)

looks fine.
This tournament is going to be FKN AMAZING !!!
I feel sorry (with sympathy, in that) for Scotland and Italy who are stagnant a little bit it seems, Italy at least has shown some strength this past November but Scotland are just standing still it seems...well degrading in fact unfortunately, let's be straight-to-the-point...while France has shined, England has shown strong ability, Ireland looks powerful, and Wales still is the defending GS champ...

This squad can do some damage, no reason why not...if that's officially what they have in Feb.

I mean no disrespect, but when you say you would be happy with so-and-so playing for Wales, I am not sure whether that is good ;)
You never know, I could have that little sensitive bone in my body which just aches for our pals across the border to perform well. :p

It's nice to see that most of the squad picks itself this time around. The problem in the Autumn was too many new faces which may not have been ready. But it only seems to be second row which is the problem position, and you've got players coming back there now.

Last edited:
You never know, I could have that little sensitive bone in my body which just aches for our pals across the border to perform well. :p

It's nice to see that most of the squad picks itself this time around. The problem in the Autumn was too many new faces which may not have been ready. But it only seems to be second row which is the problem position, and you've got players coming back there now.
Fair dos mate, just had to check.

Beck is out for 6/8 weeks... Gavin Evans or Jamie Roberts?

Who does Howley dislike the least: Hook or Biggar?

This is a fairly big problem in my view. Howley seems so averse to selecting Biggar in the starting line-up, even when he was playing head and shoulders above Priestland's standard during the autumn. Biggar now has great distribution, great kicking (both out of hand and on a tee) and he makes breaks through the defence fairly often - something he was criticized for not doing enough of in the past.

It's a real shame Beck is injured now, because I would have loved to see him and Biggar play off each other like they do at the Ospreys so well. But now I can see us playing the old formula of Roberts crashing his way blindly up field, then passing too deep from the ruck, not getting over the gain line, then passing quickly along the field to the wings before going through the forwards. Grrrrr!! Sorry. Wales are just frustrating to watch at the minute. Could be so much better if we just played people who were in form and had more exciting tactics.

****ing ****** about Beck - along with Burns he was the player I was most looking forward to/hoping to see some of. I still like the idea of JD2 playing some at 12 like for the Turks...

Latest posts