• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Tour 2013: Japan

It does get cold in the NH though. And it does get below 0 sometimes. Wales playing in a hotter climate is no different to a Fijian having to play in this. It's difficult for Fiji (more difficult than the conditions will be for Wales), but they get on with it. And Japan is not "a serious risk to health", if it was they wouldn't be playing in the modern health and safety age.

3153603924.jpg

First off I think all the Fijians play in Europe so being cold is hardly a new experience. Plus your body reacts differently when experiencing cold than hot, in fact the human body is far more structured to deal with cold than heat.

Ok so maybe saying a serious risk to health was a bit OTT but they do risk dehydration as if they kept water only being on the pitch after at try time or kicks at goal the players will be losing more fluids than what theyre taking on board.

At the end of the day this is Eddie Jones playing mind games with the young, inexperienced tourers

At the end of the day this is Eddie Jones playing mind games with the young, inexperienced tourers
What's it got to do with Jones? It's Edwards whining about it being too hot.
It mentions above that Edwards has to speak to the referee's, then in they agree then they have to ask Japan - it's only then that Jones could have a say.

What's it got to do with Jones? It's Edwards whining about it being too hot.
It mentions above that Edwards has to speak to the referee's, then in they agree then they have to ask Japan - it's only then that Jones could have a say.

This.

It's nothing to do with Eddie Jones playing mind games. He was just asked by media probably about Edwards' moaning and gave his answer, I don't think he is saying anything with the intent of mind games. He just says it like it is.

He was probably surprised at Edwards given that no other teams that play in Japan make a fuss out of it. They all also seem to have survived those matches in good health also. Note that there was no specific health issue raised by Edwards, just some reference to some incident in Papua New Guinea, but Wales have well paid professional nutritionists, fitness people etc in their back room staff who will prevent this.

So basically what it basically is just Wales a bit out of their comfort zone and wanting to change the rules to suit them. This quote sums it up by Edwards "It is uncomfortable and unusual for people like us from the UK to play in these conditions." It's also uncomfortable for a Fijian to play in -2 in January up in Edinburgh. But they don't complain.

Maybe it would be better for Patchell to be in the U20 instead of getting perhaps 10 minutes off the bench. But NO to Matthew Morgan, he's a disappointment to say the least and his passing is not would you would expect from a fly half. I dislike his attitude on Twitter moaning about lack of chances as well.

I would rather we took the Tigers bound Owen Williams or even Tovey (who is still young btw).

Does anybody else think Patchell might make a decent 12 btw? Might be something worth trying, more to gain than playing Spratt anyway.

Morgan was just the first name in my head so my bad on that I forgot the names of other fly-halves we have currently.. should've googled it really. Owen Williams would be a step up (over morgan) and has Tovey played much at fly half this year? If patchell gets some good game time other there then mabey it'd be worth it but would much rather him in France.

Tovey has done nothing, and played mostly fullback.
Another one here for Owen Williams, for the record.

Patchell has played inside centre before, I believe. Could be a good option. I'd prefer Shingler, given the choice, though.

Dehydration has actually no relation to the fitness levels of a player and in fairness to Edwards, I can understand his point. I live in Fukui City around two hours north west of Osaka. It is 30 degrees here and 70 percent humidity. It is the start of Tsuuyu - the early summer rainy season. It is like walking around in a hot shower when it rains. I am sitting here in just shorts and sweating like a pig! Unless you have experienced it, you cannot imagine how blydi awful it is, and it is getting hotter by the day - I have never got used to it! Looking forward to the game Saturday! My son and I will be there,,,,,I will be monitoring my liquid intake! ;)

Dehydration has actually no relation to the fitness levels of a player and in fairness to Edwards, I can understand his point. I live in Fukui City around two hours north west of Osaka. It is 30 degrees here and 70 percent humidity. It is the start of Tsuuyu - the early summer rainy season. It is like walking around in a hot shower when it rains. I am sitting here in just shorts and sweating like a pig! Unless you have experienced it, you cannot imagine how blydi awful it is, and it is getting hotter by the day - I have never got used to it! Looking forward to the game Saturday! My son and I will be there,,,,,I will be monitoring my liquid intake! ;)
No Brains, I'd imagine, unfortunately. :(

No Brains, I'd imagine, unfortunately. :(
Draggs.... Raw fish, chicken on skewers and octopus...A bit different from faggots and peas!! There will be a few Kirin and sake to be had and for me now, these are far better than Brains,,,,even though it has been 15 years since I had one,,,I remember the headaches it gave me!! ;)
Taiki, my son and I are going down to Osaka with a few members of the veterans team I coach and play for - my wife,,,,, a Japanese Harpy, unkindly calls it "slow motion rugby"!!! We are a group of older Kiwis, a yank, An Ozzie or two, a Samoan, assorted mad Japanese and Taiki and me. A real international international day! It will be Taiki's first taste of real rugby. Although we have had a new Underarmour Welsh jersey sent over, he insists on wearing his Neath Jersey!!! Ahhhh, genetics I feel. I am so looking forward to it, but I have been here so long now,,,,many of the names mean very little to me.

Yeah, quite a change from staggering around trying to eat chips from Caroline Street.
Sounds like you have a good day planned, just need to get your lad the true black (and white) jersey, mighty Cross Keys!

If the worst you have had from Brains is a heading, you are doing something wrong (or right!)

He will also help the U20's prospects. Why take players away from them when they are challenging in a WC, to play him in a meaningless tour to Japan? In all likelihood we'll have Biggar, Hook, Priestland, Owen Williams and Matthew Morgan to chose from anyway. Plenty of options.

I also think that some of the teams at the JWC are more difficult opposition than Japan.

Just revisiting this argument. I was reminded recently of the last U21 vs national team match in 2007 with New Zealand U21 who were by far the leading junior side at the time and a highly experimental Canada side. Yet Canada came out on top, away from home against a side that had about 10 future internationals in it and virtually all at least got a Super Rugby career.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3886_2419687,00.html

Just proves the point that adult opposition is stronger (even from lesser nations) and the "U20 RWC will be higher standard" argument to be a load of crap. Japan would have easily beaten Wales U20.

Bit of a bump from Duck! :p

I was about to call you out, Dull, over Owen Williams, before seeing that you said it back in April :lol:
He's been terrible for Tigers - his game vs Wasps was appalling.

Latest posts