• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Tour of Argentina

I think it's a bit of a crappy thing to do but all is fair in love and war in pro sport. It's the same with Wales picking English players who never thought about playing for Wales until asked. It's not in the 'spirit' of the game but it's allowed in the rules so you can't blame teams for maximising their talent pool.

See this is the exact thing I don't think should happen. I can understand the logic, but capping players before they are ready just to try and get their first is a very slippery slope. I've already discussed it elsewhere and I can think of nothing worse for rugby than having national teams essentially fighting over and racing each other to cap players who might be eligible.

In this particular case, yes he may have decided on Wales already, but then he should earn his place, not be capped because you're worried about other countries capping him first.

It was a tongue in cheek comment at the time but now I know he's playing for England under 20s I'm dead serious. Lol.

Nah, to be honest Bushy summed it up well.

I know it's within the rules and I wouldn't blame Wales for doing it. I just think it's a very bad look for rugby if countries almost begin a capping war just to tie players to their country. We've already seen some examples and while it's in the rules, it just isn't a good image for the sport. On top it puts pressure on the player as now they have been capped more will be expected, but not everyone who performs well at age-grade goes on to play international rugby. There honestly needs to be more thought about young players welfare as opposed to capping to increase talent pool.

I know it's within the rules and I wouldn't blame Wales for doing it. I just think it's a very bad look for rugby if countries almost begin a capping war just to tie players to their country. We've already seen some examples and while it's in the rules, it just isn't a good image for the sport. On top it puts pressure on the player as now they have been capped more will be expected, but not everyone who performs well at age-grade goes on to play international rugby. There honestly needs to be more thought about young players welfare as opposed to capping to increase talent pool.
Yeah I agree with you tbh... specific circumstances can always skew a general rule though, as mentioned in my previous post.

Yeah I agree with you tbh... specific circumstances can always skew a general rule though, as mentioned in my previous post.
There may be specific circumstances, but for me another country being interested and it potentially being an area where Wales have a lack of depth isn't a good enough reason. Player welfare should be the priority.

There may be specific circumstances, but for me another country being interested and it potentially being an area where Wales have a lack of depth isn't a good enough reason. Player welfare should be the priority.
Perfectly fair bud... wouldn't stop me getting him into camp and running him through his paces though but that's just me.

Perfectly fair bud... wouldn't stop me getting him into camp and running him through his paces though but that's just me.

I've got a feeling we won't have to worry about him to be honest. A bit like LRZ. I'd do the same as you though. I'll be amazed if he doesn't turn out to be an international rugby player so why not get him in have a look, if he's not ready yet no big deal but if he is then happy days.

Just to clarify I have absolutely no issue him being picked for training camps and having a look. If he's genuinely good enough then fine, if it's capping for the sake of capping where I have an issue and if he plays one game on tour then nothing for another 4-6 then Wales have just been worried about stocking the larder and not about what's best for the player.

Just to clarify I have absolutely no issue him being picked for training camps and having a look. If he's genuinely good enough then fine, if it's capping for the sake of capping where I have an issue and if he plays one game on tour then nothing for another 4-6 then Wales have just been worried about stocking the larder and not about what's best for the player.
1617140344371.gif
1617140370729.gif

Unsurprisingly this tour isn't going ahead but apparently trying to get them over here for a game and to try and get a game or 2 with 1 or 2 of USA, Canada or Japan.

Really should just go ahead and create a summer nations cup
Even makes it a bit more manageable as Italy and France (in theory) will be in Aus/NZ

Two groups from:
England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Argentina
America, Canada, Japan, Georgia, Romania

England already have games vs Scotland, America and Canada lined up, and Wales have Argentina so make the groups

England, Scotland, America, Canada, Georgia
Wales, Ireland, Argentina, Japan, Romania

Really should just go ahead and create a summer nations cup
Even makes it a bit more manageable as Italy and France (in theory) will be in Aus/NZ

Two groups from:
England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Argentina
America, Canada, Japan, Georgia, Romania

England already have games vs Scotland, America and Canada lined up, and Wales have Argentina so make the groups

England, Scotland, America, Canada, Georgia
Wales, Ireland, Argentina, Japan, Romania
The C̶h̶u̶r̶c̶h̶i̶l̶l̶ No not that Cup anyone??

Didn't know this was announced today. Here it is.

Wales squad: Forwards (19): Rhodri Jones (Ospreys), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Gareth Thomas (Ospreys), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Sam Parry (Ospreys), Leon Brown (Dragons), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Ben Carter (Dragons), Cory Hill (Cardiff Rugby), Will Rowlands (Wasps), Taine Basham (Dragons), James Botham (Cardiff Rugby), Ross Moriarty (Dragons), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Rugby), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Rugby), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons).

Backs (15): Kieran Hardy (Scarlets), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby), Rhodri Williams (Dragons), Callum Sheedy (Bristol Bears), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Rugby), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets - capt), Willis Halaholo (Cardiff Rugby), Nick Tompkins (Saracens), Ben Thomas (Cardiff Rugby), Hallam Amos (Cardiff Rugby), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets),
Jonah Holmes (Dragons), Owen Lane (Cardiff Rugby), Ioan Lloyd (Bristol Bears), Tom Rogers (Scarlets)

So you force WGJ to leave Sale and then don't pick him

Rage GIF

No WillGriff is slightly annoying but he'll get more of a look in once he's at the Scarlets, hopefully.

Jonah Holmes has been brilliant recently. Swear he's on the roids or something but he deserves to start

Latest posts