• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Tour of Argentina

Got a few young players at lock to test anyway. Will only benefit us in the long run.

Any word on who's getting called up to replace Beard? I'd imagine it would be Seb Davies, perhaps, but wouldn't mind a look at Rhys Davies at this level, especially as we're playing strong opposition.

Wales actually call up 4 players. Seb Davies repalces Adam Beard, Rhys Davies replaces Navidi (lock for a flanker?) Samson Lee has been called up as Francis has been struggling with injury and Lloyd Williams called up as Rhodri Williams is also injured (But not realeased)

The Canada game is the one give the newer guys some decent game time. I would pick;

Halfpenny, Rogers, j Davies, B Thomas, J Holmes, Sheedy, K Hardy, N Smith, E Dee, L Brown, B Carter, W Rowlands, Moriarty, Botham, Wainwright

Elias, G Thomas, D Lewis, M Screech, Basham, T Williams, I Lloyd, Tompkins

The Canada game is the one give the newer guys some decent game time. I would pick;

Halfpenny, Rogers, j Davies, B Thomas, J Holmes, Sheedy, K Hardy, N Smith, E Dee, L Brown, B Carter, W Rowlands, Moriarty, Botham, Wainwright

Elias, G Thomas, D Lewis, M Screech, Basham, T Williams, I Lloyd, Tompkins
Yeah I like that side. I'd like to see Ioan Lloyd start, though. But 15 is annoying as I want to see that kid Rogers there but Holmes deserves it the most based on form and I like him more as a 15 than on the wing. Halfpenny is obviously going to start but I just think how much value are we getting out of playing him there. We know what he's all about. Not as opposed to him playing against Argentina as we could quite easily lose both those games so you could argue to get as many senior players in those matches as possible but Canada? No so sure, could give one of fringe players a crack.

Yeah I like that side. I'd like to see Ioan Lloyd start, though. But 15 is annoying as I want to see that kid Rogers there but Holmes deserves it the most based on form and I like him more as a 15 than on the wing.

I would like to see Lloyd start as well but i don't see him playing two inexperienced players in the back line, It's a lot to ask of them. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Lloyd at 10 to be honest.

I would like to see Lloyd start as well but i don't see him playing two inexperienced players in the back line, It's a lot to ask of them. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Lloyd at 10 to be honest.
Yeah same but it's hard as we've got to carry on developing Sheedy and Evans 100% needs minutes so I think Lloyd will have to make do with a back 3 position (hopefully 15 not the wing)

You're right, of course, about not playing too many inexperienced players and even though there is no chance I would like to see this team (against Canada not Argentina)

Thomas Dee Brown
Carter Rowlands
Botham Basham
Wainwright

Hardy
Evans
Rogers
Thomas
Tompkins
Holmes
Lloyd

Not a bad shout @MikeTheNative

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Jonah Holmes, Willis Halaholo, Jonathan Davies, Tom Rogers; Callum Sheedy, Tomos Williams; Nicky Smith, Elliot Dee, Dillon Lewis; Ben Carter, Will Rowlands; Ross Moriarty, James Botham, Aaron Wainwright.

Reps: Ryan Elias, Gareth Thomas, Leon Brown, Josh Turnbull, Taine Basham, Kieran Hardy, Ben Thomas, Nick Tompkins.

Would have like to see Lloyd get some game time but it's interesting that Thomas is down as 10 replacement. With another centre oh the bench it suggests he will get some game time there?

Would have like to see Lloyd get some game time but it's interesting that Thomas is down as 10 replacement. With another centre oh the bench it suggests he will get some game time there?
Yeah I was a bit surprised to not see Evans on the bench but he clearly wants to have a look at Thomas at 10 which is good. Imagine Evans will come off the bench in one of the Argentina games and start the other one perhaps?

Yeah, wanted to see Lloyd as well but we've got 3 games so not to worry.

Evans was going to start this game according to Pivac but he rolled his ankle in training which is a shame as he was training very well apparently.

That makes a bit more sense of the selection. I don't think Privac will start him in the two Argentina's games even if fit though.

WALES TEAM TO FACE ARGENTINA ON SATURDAY, JULY 10 (13.00)

1 Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (40 caps)

2 Elliot Dee (Dragons) (38 caps)

3 Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby) (29 caps)

4 Ben Carter (Dragons) (1 cap)

5 Will Rowlands (Dragons) (8 caps)

6 Ross Moriarty (Dragons) (46 caps)

7 James Botham (Cardiff Rugby) (7 caps)

8 Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (30 caps)

9 Kieran Hardy (Scarlets) (5 caps)

10 Callum Sheedy (Bristol Bears) (10 caps)

11 Owen Lane (Cardiff Rugby) (2 caps)

12 Jonathan Davies (CAPT) (Scarlets) (89 caps)

13 Uilisi Halaholo (Cardiff Rugby) (5 caps)

14 Jonah Holmes (Dragons) (6 caps)

15 Hallam Amos (Cardiff Rugby) (23 caps)

Replacements

16 Ryan Elias (Scarlets) (18 caps)

17 Gareth Thomas (Ospreys) (1 cap)

18 Leon Brown (Dragons) (18 caps)

19 Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Rugby) (11 caps)

20 Taine Basham (Dragons) (1 cap)

21 Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby) (23 caps)

22 Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Rugby) (6 caps)

23 Nick Tompkins (Saracens) (11 caps)

Yeah I agree but I suppose if he was on the bench, it would not be with a 10 but somebody who could cover centre. They want to give Evans some game time so there's no room for Lloyd on the bench as well.
I would like to see some of the younger centre options in the next game though, both are into their 30s.

Yeah I agree but I suppose if he was on the bench, it would not be with a 10 but somebody who could cover centre. They want to give Evans some game time so there's no room for Lloyd on the bench as well.
I would like to see some of the younger centre options in the next game though, both are into their 30s.
Agreed. I don't mind Halaholo as much just coz he's still a baby in terms of international rugby so he needs development and experience and his age, while getting on, is not so old that he won't be around for the WC.

Sadly not only is Foxy a couple of years older but even more sadly theres questions marks about whether he will ever get back to where he was.

Juan Cruz Mallia has been banned for 3 games (reduced down from 6) for his head clash with Hardy and he accepted it was a red card offence.

Also the citing commissioner disagrees with Ludlow's yellow and has cited him for that knee to the head. I actually haven't seen that yet but amazing that wasn't a red at the time by the sounds of it.

Hoping the Wales team is announced today. Looking forward to Saturday.

Wales: Hallam Amos; Owen Lane, Nick Tompkins, Jonathan Davies (C), Tom Rogers; Jarrod Evans, Tomos Williams; Gareth Thomas, Elliot Dee, Leon Brown; Ben Carter, Will Rowlands; Josh Turnbull, James Botham, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Sam Parry, Rhodri Jones, Dillon Lewis, Matthew Screech, Taine Basham, Kieran Hardy, Callum Sheedy, Willis Halaholo.

Latest posts