• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Australia

Welsh Exile

First XV
TRF Legend
Team news should be out at noon. Rowlands and WillGriff John are out. Such a shame for WGJ but hey ho. I'm actually more gutted for Leon Brown. This would've been a great series for his development. Better hope Francis is alright as if he isn't we'll have to have Wyn Jones covering TH as I don't even think Samson Lee is fit. Dillon Lewis isn't 100% either but we'll have no choice but to start him if Francis doesn't make it.

Would like to see Ben Carter start but I'd love to have a look at Rhys Davies too but it would be a bit of a baptism of fire for him against a good Australia side (even though they are missing probably the best 12 in world rugby at the minute in Kerevi and winger in Korebete sorry on spelling there)

Shame that Hooper is out for them too.

Think it will be something like

1. Carre
2. Elias
3. Francis (fingers crossed)
4. Beard
5. Carter
6. Jenkins
7. Basham
8. Wainwright (fingers crossed he's fit)
9. Wiliams
10. Bigggar
11. Adams
12. Halaholo
13. Tompkins (Davies if he's fit bit I wouldn't personally)
14. LRZ
15. Williams

16. Roberts
17. Wyn Jones
18. Lewis
19. Christ
20. Seb Davies
21. Davies
22. Anscombe
23. Lane

Can mods please add 'Nice comments about Wales Only' to the thread ***le. :p

Not the most fantastic of match ups, two teams that have struggled so far and also have a number of injury problems.
I see Dee has been recalled to the squad so I expect him on the bench. Not really convinced by Seb Davies so would have Ben Carter at 2nd row. I was disappointed not to see Shane Lewis Hughes last weekend, he's someone Wales don't have massive depth at (an out and out 6). They have tried multiple 9,10,12,13 combos so far and none have really worked. Biggar didn't play well last week and I wouldn't mind Sheedy getting a go, Halahollo probably deserves a shot at 12 and then Tompkins at 13 I guess? Not 100% sure on him there but I can't see JD2 making the world cup at the moment. Wales have class in the back 3 and they need to get the ball.

Looks about right. Would prefer someone other than Biggar. When thinking about it he's only had a couple of good international games over the last couple of years! He was terrible at the start of 2021 6N, bounced back with some very strong performances though to be fair. But he was then poor on the Lions tour, and has been poor this AI. For one of our senior players who should be setting an example, his consistency just isn't good enough. He was appalling vs Fiji, rushing and getting flustered, in a game where everyone knows control and patience is required to break down the king of unstructured games in Fiji. I'd prob him completely, have Priestland and Sheedy in the matchday squad.

This is where we find out Wainwright, Francis and Adams haven't made it which will make selection even more interesting.

Agree on Shane Lewis Hughes. When we were terrible in last years autumn series he was one of the few positives that I took away from it. I guess injury hasn't helped. I also agree on Seb Davies however I thought he's done alright last couple of games when he's come on. The guy definitely has some skills but you'd like to see him play to his size a bit more and be a bit stronger carrying the ball.

Biggar is a very good 10 but IMO his strengths aren't what you want from a Privac plan. He was perfect for Gatland's final year tactics but attacking the the line isn't what he's best at, still find it a bit strange that Jarrod Evans hasn't really been given a chance under Privac, seems that his game is exactly what you want.

Biggar is a very good 10 but IMO his strengths aren't what you want from a Privac plan. He was perfect for Gatland's final year tactics but attacking the the line isn't what he's best at, still find it a bit strange that Jarrod Evans hasn't really been given a chance under Privac, seems that his game is exactly what you want.
this 100%. I still can't get my head around Evans. He seems ideal for Pivac but clearly he's not rated.

Evans needs to show some consistency for Cardiff really. I'd be tempted to give him a prolonged run of games to see if he could settle though.

Wales: L Williams; Rees-Zammit, Tompkins, Halaholo, Adams; Biggar, T Williams; W Jones, Elias, Francis, Beard, S Davies, Jenkins (capt), Basham, Wainwright.

Replacements: Dee, G Thomas, Lewis, Carter, Tshiunza, G Davies, Priestland, McNicholl.

Australia: Kurtley Beale; Andrew Kellaway, Len Ikitau, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu; James O'Connor, Nic White; James Slipper, Tolu Latu, Taniela Tupou; Rory Arnold, Izack Rodda; Rob Leota, Pete Samu, Rob Valetini.

Reps: Folau Fainga'a, Angus Bell, Allan Alaalatoa, Will Skelton, Lachlan Swinton, Tate McDermott, Lalakai Foketi, Tom Wright.

Despite the unavailable players that's still a decent Aus team. Not sure who is favourites for this week but if Wales play anything like they did against Fiji I expect Aus to win comfortably though.

Apparently Adams and Francis still have fitness tests to face on before the game...... If Francis out then that's Lewis going up from the bench and they have talked about Wyn Jones playing there, not sure he's played a pro game at 3.
Adams is a bit more simple, would be McNicholl to wing and I imagine Lane onto the bench.

Or Cuthbert after a decent showing v Fiji. I'd have Cuthbert ahead of Lane for the time being, runs a tad harder and better defensively.

Not sure who is favourites for this week but if Wales play anything like they did against Fiji I expect Aus to win comfortably though.
I know Wales were 'stodgy' against Fiji, but Oz showed nothing at all against a pretty average England.

Wales have to be favourites for this.

I think if Wales try to play open, expansive rugby, they could lose. If they keep it controlled and just keep the Aussies pinned back, in recent years they have shown a tendency to get frustrated and start trying moments of magic to break out that Wales can capitalise on. Aus do not have anywhere near the breakdown threat they used to, relying on completely driving the defenders off the ruck rather than poaching the ball. As long as Wales stop that happening, I can see the Aussies really struggling to get any turnovers.

I think Wales win by around 8. Not sure what I'm basing that on because if Wales play like they did against Fiji they'll lose by 15

I think Wales win by around 8. Not sure what I'm basing that on because if Wales play like they did against Fiji they'll lose by 15
Wales can't be as bad as last week right?.....................................................

Hoping this will be an entertaining somewhat free flowing well paced game that both teams off the back of less than stellar performances will want to enjoy, Hooper not being available is huge for Aus, Wales by 7 with a controversial LRZ score.