• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Australia

Yeah, both of us had weakened teams out. Last years 6N games were all pretty close games. Any one of Scotland, England, France, Ireland and Wales can beat each other.

We do look a bit **** at the minute but we should have a few back for the 6N hopefully.
I checked the years and you're just about right. Scotland do tend to beat us every 5 years or so. Otherwise I'd have issue with that one specific game because we have a weirdly massive edge over them.

I checked the years and you're just about right. Scotland do tend to beat us every 5 years or so. Otherwise I'd have issue with that one specific game because we have a weirdly massive edge over them.
Tbf, I did forget that you've got Scotland's number. I meant to say "on their day" in my original post anyway as even though I don't think to much separates all 5 of us, and hasn't done for a few years, I think it's fair to say that in this moment France, Ireland and England look ahead so really it would take Scotland and Wales performing to the best, or near best, of their ability to get a win against those 3.

The ball didn't go forward, though
Alright man. Great call. All is well. Rugby is doing tops. It's not just a reffing wheel of fortune. No, not at all. Consistent and fair across the board.

Last edited:
You're acting like it's a matter of opinion and not just a fact - the TMO angle showed it go backwards, which is not an illegal act, and never has been
If it had gone forwards it would have been a yellow card - no one is arguing that. It didn't though

Here's Smart Cooky explaining it almost a decade ago:
Unintentionally knocking the ball backwards is not an infringement, therefore intentionally knocking the ball backwards is not an infringement.

You're acting like it's a matter of opinion and not just a fact - the TMO angle showed it go backwards, which is not an illegal act, and never has been
If it had gone forwards it would have been a yellow card - no one is arguing that. It didn't though

Here's Smart Cooky explaining it almost a decade ago:

Yeah fine. Technically correct. The best kind of correct. The fact that 99% of referees would pull that up? Irrelevant! Consistent refereeing? Who needs it.

Alright man. Great call. All is well. Rugby is doing tops. It's not just a reffing wheel of fortune. No, not at all. Consistent and fair across the board.
Honestly There is plenty wrong with the officiating on many levels, however if you are going to make contact with force to the head regardless of it being with your own, you run the risk of leaving your team with 14.
I'm not sure what to tell you about the try if the ref in real time doesn't feel the ball has gone forward he will allow play to continue and later review, it was deemed in the review not to have gone forwards, I am not sure where you get this prove it clearly goes backwards from, first I've ever heard of that.

Honestly There is plenty wrong with the officiating on many levels, however if you are going to make contact with force to the head regardless of it being with your own, you run the risk of leaving your team with 14.
I'm not sure what to tell you about the try if the ref in real time doesn't feel the ball has gone forward he will allow play to continue and later review, it was deemed in the review not to have gone forwards, I am not sure where you get this prove it clearly goes backwards from, first I've ever heard of that.
Ah the classic 'I agree much is wrong - just not with this one. This one benefits me'

Ah the classic 'I agree much is wrong - just not with this one. This one benefits me'
The classic 'points I've raised are pretty flawed, better make a sweeping statement'

The fact that 99% of referees would pull that up? Irrelevant! Consistent refereeing? Who needs it.
Strawman, though, isn't it?

If you can link me to a ball that goes backwards that's been called a knockon (or 99, as you claim) then yeah, maybe you've got a point

Strawman, though, isn't it?

If you can link me to a ball that goes backwards that's been called a knockon (or 99, as you claim) then yeah, maybe you've got a point
Maybe man. Maybe I'm getting annoyed at nothing. Sure seems like the refs are in the news more than the players these days.

Maybe man. Maybe I'm getting annoyed at nothing. Sure seems like the refs are in the news more than the players these days.
It's tough to watch your team get beat especially 3 on the bounce, but when you break it down, most of the game was played with 14 and still only lost by the slimmest of margins, the injury list is clearly less than ideal, I do think Aus are on the rise contrary to what the tour results reflects.

It's tough to watch your team get beat especially 3 on the bounce, but when you break it down, most of the game was played with 14 and still only lost by the slimmest of margins, the injury list is clearly less than ideal, I do think Aus are on the rise contrary to what the tour results reflects.
Nah. I think the ability for the Japanese clubs to lean on Kerevi etc shows we'll never have a full strength side again.

Probably arent aware but the only thing that saved Aussie rugby from adminstration last year was a 20m loan from WR. Its not going to get better when we have a whole competition here that isn't riddled with these bias refs/TMO/slow set piece issues. League is just better right now (not to mention it pays better than rugby, even French rugby salaries are less than what you can rake in in League) and it'll continue to eat into rugby's slice.

Yeah, because whingers like you make every game about the ref, even when you're wrong.

It's not your fault, obviously. When the Australia captain has to go and complain at the ref by asking 'so you're allowed to slap the ball backwards?' because he genuinely doesn't know the rules, what hope can we really have of the Australian fans?

Players, coaches, commentators, all of them united under the assumption that Australia never break the rules when they don't even know what the rules are, and so blame referees for every loss. Completely failing to notice that teams who actually know the rules tend to get more calls their way. It's ingrained in Australian rugby culture.

Yeah, because whingers like you make every game about the ref, even when you're wrong.

It's not your fault, obviously. When the Australia captain has to go and complain at the ref by asking 'so you're allowed to slap the ball backwards?' because he genuinely doesn't know the rules, what hope can we really have of the Australian fans?

Players, coaches, commentators, all of them united under the assumption that Australia never break the rules when they don't even know what the rules are, and so blame referees for every loss. Completely failing to notice that teams who actually know the rules tend to get more calls their way. It's ingrained in Australian rugby culture.
Fine set aside the knockdown. What about the red card/no-red card decisions? Clear inconsistency in the application of the rules in the one match in what is a critical area of the game now. There are tonnes of examples of poor, one sided refereeing just in that one game.

WR apparently issued a formal apology for the AAA yellow card against Scotland, admitting it was incorrect. Another which we lost by a very small margin.

Maybe it's a cultural thing or maybe all these head coaches losing their rag over garbage refereeing actually have a point.

Fine set aside the knockdown. What about the red card/no-red card decisions? Clear inconsistency in the application of the rules in the one match in what is a critical area of the game now. There are tonnes of examples of poor, one sided refereeing just in that one game.

WR apparently issued a formal apology for the AAA yellow card against Scotland, admitting it was incorrect. Another which we lost by a very small margin.

Maybe it's a cultural thing or maybe all these head coaches losing their rag over garbage refereeing actually have a point.
The two incidence could certainly both be seen as red, however they were not similar both within the brackets though, what we can agree is inconsistent is that Fiji received a red last week for a very similar incident to the yellow (potentially more force) but to me the players did pretty much the same thing in terms of swinging arms so the outcome should be the same, both red or both yellow, I'm ok with.
It really doesn't help teams to moan and blame refs, like it or not so much of it will be down to interpretations so there will
always be inconsistency's amongst personnel, as long as the lawes are applied the same to both sides the teams have to learn to adapt and not alienate the ref, the reality is the blaming the ref mentality will not bring improvement to the team.

The two incidence could certainly both be seen as red, however they were not similar both within the brackets though, what we can agree is inconsistent is that Fiji received a red last week for a very similar incident to the yellow (potentially more force) but to me the players did pretty much the same thing in terms of swinging arms so the outcome should be the same, both red or both yellow, I'm ok with.
It really doesn't help teams to moan and blame refs, like it or not so much of it will be down to interpretations so there will
always be inconsistency's amongst personnel, as long as the lawes are applied the same to both sides the teams have to learn to adapt and not alienate the ref, the reality is the blaming the ref mentality will not bring improvement to the team.
I agree, it won't improve the team. I don't think we are much better than top 7 or 8 and we won't improve beyond that, possibly ever.

I think Rennie was right though, and i think the refereeing is definitely not at a high standard right now.

I agree, it won't improve the team. I don't think we are much better than top 7 or 8 and we won't improve beyond that, possibly ever.

I think Rennie was right though, and i think the refereeing is definitely not at a high standard right now.
What specifically was not consistently applied solely in that game? As I've said both cards were in the brackets of a red, but could have been yellows, they were not similar enough to compare apples to apples though, it would probably be fair to say that this is another example of Wales coming out on top in terms of card decisions which lean in their favour, that at this stage is uncanny, it's pretty much in the players hands not to commit the act of foul play leading to the card.

I think the ref said the rationale for the yellow was that he was trying to wrap (so a natural movement) AND the force/danger wasn't high end. The Fiji one was more of an unnatural movement and with a high degree of force. I can see where people are coming from though.

I think the ref said the rationale for the yellow was that he was trying to wrap (so a natural movement) AND the force/danger wasn't high end. The Fiji one was more of an unnatural movement and with a high degree of force. I can see where people are coming from though
I'd have to watch it back but at the time it looked to me like the Aus player was already on the deck not competing, not in play so the Welsh action (wrap attempt or not) was completely unjustified, the ref last week was going to give a yellow until the TMO said the tackle was completed didn't need to which swung it, assuming all of the above is correct then I don't think the sanctions should be so far apart personally.

Latest posts