• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Italy

C

cyRil

Tom Prydie becomes the youngest ever player to represent Wales as he starts on the right wing for his country on Saturday.
This is one of 5 changes, the other most significant could be seen as the 'changing of the guard' as Sam Warburton starts at openside flanker in place of Martyn Williams who drops out of the squad altogether.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/8567111.stm

Here's the Welsh team to face Italy on Saturday:

Wales team to face Italy on Saturday:
Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Tom Prydie (Ospreys); James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues); Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Llanelli Scarlets), Michael Phillips (Ospreys); Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Rees (Llanelli Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Luke Charteris (Dragons), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Jones (capt, Ospreys)
Replacements: Huw Bennett, Paul James, Ian Gough, Gareth Delve, Dwayne Peel, Andrew Bishop, Tom Shanklin

Surprised to see Prydie starting, he'll be the youngest player ever to represent Wales. I'm sure it would have been Kristian Phillips had it not been for his father dying.

Still don't understand the bench! Why no Ken Owens? And why still two centres, instead of having Biggar there to push Steven Jones?

Edit: Balls, Cyril beat me to it, can someone delete this one please?

PS: Is it actually 2.20 kick off? Cuz I have a game at 11.30 and also have tickets! This is going to have to be a quick turn-around!!

As you said, would rather Biggar than Shanklin on the bench, but it's good to see a coach actually having the balls to do something unexpected.
Starting Prydie is a big leap, would've though put him on the bench first, Gatland must feel confident/indifferent about the match for that. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have him on instead of Shane? As Shane is getting towards the end of his career, whereas Halfpennys just starting

Didn't expect Williams to be completely dropped either! But he hasn't been performing, so it's the right thing to do

Beat me to it Cyril!

Big gamble selecting Prydie. I'm sure it would have been Kristian Phillips considering his performances for the U20's, but he's off on compassionate leave due to his father dying.

Can't understand the bench! What's the point in retaining Bennett instead of giving young Ken Owens his shot. I'd have personally started Ken Owens considering Rees' abismal performance on Sat. Still son't understand why Shanks and Bishop are on the bench, neither offer much of an impact! One or the other would be ok alongside Biggar so he can push Stephen Jones?

Couple of baffling selections. Hope they don't backfire.

I would totally agree with Gatland's selection. Wales have nothing to lose, they're better off giving the young talent a go now while it's still over a year til the world cup.

Fair play to Gatland for making some serious changes to the Wales team, though I think he has gone a bit too fair. Martyn Williams not even on the bench?!?! What happens if Italy are leading with 15 minutes to go, where is the experience and impact going to come from? Gareth Delve definately does not that the same impact and international experience as Williams ;) Prydie starting on the wing is also another interesting selection. He might be an up-and-coming young player but he might have a tough time of it against Italy - one more thing, how is he going to cope playing in front of the crowd at Cardiff, some 80,000 people shouting and wanting blood if the Welsh don't play well.

Well 'impact' isn't really something that Martyn would bring if we're chasing a game with 15 to go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Mar 17 2010, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well 'impact' isn't really something that Martyn would bring if we're chasing a game with 15 to go.[/b]
Really? His handling is very good and he always gives his all for his team. His experience would also be invaluable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 16 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Mar 17 2010, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well 'impact' isn't really something that Martyn would bring if we're chasing a game with 15 to go.[/b]
Really? His handling is very good and he always gives his all for his team. His experience would also be invaluable.
[/b][/quote]
Well my thinking is that if we need to go out and win a game, chasing from behind then we'd need someone who's fresh and brings pace and power - 2 qualities that Martyn has shown in this championship he no longer possesses.

Not enough changes made if you ask me, too many welsh players no they ain't gotta play for their shirt.

Shocking decision on Rees at 9!

He and Bradley have been our best players

But what if Warberton get's injured in the first minute? We then have no-one to cover openside, whearas Warberton, Ryan and Thomas can all play 6 and 8!

I would have personally moved Jon Thomas back into the second row alongside Bradley Davies, and played a backrow of Warberton, Martyn Williams and Ryan Jones with Delve on the bench. I still think Martyn Williams has something to offer but needs help at breakdown from a player like Warberton playing alongside him at 6. Either that or include both Delve and Ryan in the backrow, or even consider starting Lydiate at 6 alongside Warberton and Jones.

@ King D'arcy. I agree that now is the time to chuck in a couple of youngsters with just 18 months till the wc and this years 6 nations out of reach, but why replace a player performing well (Halfpenny) with a completely untested youngster when there's more obvious changes that could be made. Ken Owens has arguably been the best performing hooker at club level in the UK and Biggar has been showing even more development for the Ospreys. Mathew Rees didn't look up to it yet against you guys, so surely giving the very promising Owens his shot was an obvious choice for intoducing a youngster to the international scene? Biggar getting a spot on the bench and getting a good 30mins gametime would also be a good idea to develop some strength in depth. If Steve Jones get's injured, it's Hook who'll have to move over yet again! Just not fair on the bloke who's already learning a brand new position at outside centre, not to mention being chucked in at fullback. He's not playing 10 for the O's, so he's also out of practice there.

Just finding a few selections baffling, even if I do agree with many others.

We need a good performance (30+ points imo) to salvage something from this 6 nations. The team has gotta show that they are rectifying some of the majour flaws in our game, namely the lineout and ruck. At least then, us fans will be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Edit: regarding Rees at 9. I actually agree with Gatland on this. Rees has been rewarded with a couple of starts and probably remains our no. 2 scrum half behind Phillips. But he's a very similar player to Phillips. Peel offers something different, and whilst he had a shocker after coming on v Ireland with his passing, hopefully he'll have sorted that out. Against Italy, the best way to play is at a fast tempo, Peel can come on and offer an increase in tempo that Rees can't.

dropping players still isn't the way to go about it.

strength in depth is pathetic!

08? no-one knew their shirt was safe.

Now too many do!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 16 2010, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 16 2010, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 16 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wat. Tom Prydie is only two months older than me. o.ó[/b]

Wow, your just a wee baby?
[/b][/quote]
That's you're.

And sir.
[/b][/quote]

Gosh, haven't made a grammar error in a while.

Anyway, it's squire for now. I'll call you sir when you're a man, like I am.

If i recall, wasn't Halfpenny in a similar situation to Prydie? He was barely into half a season with Blues, and was thrust full in proper into Wales XV. Good on Gatland. Though, i'd call in Biggar for Shanks. I would have kept Rees on the bench, but i suppose Phillips needs gametime too.

Latest posts