Wales v. South Africa in DC

DumbAmerican

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Hey,

American here who's never been to a rugby match and has only seen a handful on tv. I'm gonna be in DC area the day this match is going on and I think I'm gonna check it out. From reading the Wales and South Africa tour threads it seems this event is looking to be a flop.

Could I get a quick rundown on anything I should know about these teams? I'd assume even the B teams from these nations would have top level talent. Any players to watch out for? Are these international matches outside of major tournaments in the vein of random soccer friendlies, or are they a more serious deal? How much will the product on the field resemble a major club or international tournament match?

Some of the big names will get "rested" for sure but South Africa is still sending players in the squad.
Since our team from the last couple years has been such a mess anyway I'll imagine our side will be somewhat experimental but probably still pretty exciting.

Definitely worth going to in my opinion neither team likes to lose, regardless of where they are playing. I'd say it'll be a step above soccer friendly in terms of seriousness, it still counts for world ranking points, caps for the players and winning records for the coaches so I can't imagine anyone not taking it seriously.

As I said the only difference is that the teams may rest their "nailed" on starters and experiment a little.

Some of the big names will get "rested" for sure but South Africa is still sending players in the squad.
Since our team from the last couple years has been such a mess anyway I'll imagine our side will be somewhat experimental but probably still pretty exciting.

Definitely worth going to in my opinion neither team likes to lose, regardless of where they are playing. I'd say it'll be a step above soccer friendly in terms of seriousness, it still counts for world ranking points, caps for the players and winning records for the coaches so I can't imagine anyone not taking it seriously.

As I said the only difference is that the teams may rest their "nailed" on starters and experiment a little.

Yup.

Rassie will name his 40-man squad this coming Saturday, of which 26 players will got to the USA, the other 14 will stay in SA. Also, none of the foreign based players will be selected for the Wales game. So those 26 players will all be Super Rugby and Pro14 players if they played for the Kings or Cheetahs.

That New Zealand vs Ireland game in Chicago not that long ago (2 years?) was taken seriously enough!

Two sides that can entertain and play open rugby with good ball handling OR be infuriatingly conservative in their play. I'd like to think with it being a friendly the former style will prevail.

As stated above there is intensity in such friendlies, particularly when they are northern hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere.

The north is on the ascent and has parity or even the upper hand for possibly the first time ever. That is something worth fighting for.

Looks like awful news for the organizers as game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals has been scheduled in DC on the same day. It will be the first game in DC, and the first home major sports finals match for a DC team since the 90s. I'd expect a couple hundred thousands local sports fans around hockey arena, which I assume will severely cut into any showing at RFK Stadium.

That New Zealand vs Ireland game in Chicago not that long ago (2 years?) was taken seriously enough!
Yeah. I remember seeing the highlights of that game. Think it even led Sportscenter that night. Was a crazy scene. That's what I was thinking of when I saw that this match was planned, but it doesn't look like the DC folks are going to come close to creating a similar atmosphere.

Wales have tested their Lions players this summer (apart from Moriarty and North who returned early from the tour injured). There's also the added complexity of Scarlets playing in the Pro14 final a week beforehand, so I can definitely see Garland limiting their involvement in the starting IV at least. Taking that into account, the following Wales line-up is likely:

01 Nicky Smith
02 Elliot Dee
03 Dillon Lewis
04 Cory Hill
05 Bradley Davies
06 Aaron Shingler
07 Ellis Jenkins
08 Ross Moriarty

09 Tomos Williams
10 Gareth Anscombe
11 Staff Evans
12 Owen Watkins
13 George North
14 Tom Prydie
15 Halam Amos

16 Ryan Elias
17 Rob Evans
18 Samson Lee
19 Seb Davies
20 James Davies
21 Gareth Davies
22 Rhys Patchell
23 Scott Williams

South Africans only eat meat and the Welsh shag sheep. That should cover it.

Wales have tested their Lions players this summer (apart from Moriarty and North who returned early from the tour injured). There's also the added complexity of Scarlets playing in the Pro14 final a week beforehand, so I can definitely see Garland limiting their involvement in the starting IV at least. Taking that into account, the following Wales line-up is likely:

01 Nicky Smith
02 Elliot Dee
03 Dillon Lewis
04 Cory Hill
05 Bradley Davies
06 Aaron Shingler
07 Ellis Jenkins
08 Ross Moriarty

09 Tomos Williams
10 Gareth Anscombe
11 Staff Evans
12 Owen Watkins
13 George North
14 Tom Prydie
15 Halam Amos

16 Ryan Elias
17 Rob Evans
18 Samson Lee
19 Seb Davies
20 James Davies
21 Gareth Davies
22 Rhys Patchell
23 Scott Williams
Anybody on this list who's a specific huge star? Has something embarrassing/funny in their personal life?

South Africans only eat meat and the Welsh shag sheep. That should cover it.
I'll bring the high powered rifles. Merriment will be had all around.

Anybody on this list who's a specific huge star? Has something embarrassing/funny in their personal life?

james "cubby boi" davies... i don't know if he has any particular stories but his brand seems to be "how is he a professional athlete." he does have "cubby boi" tattooed across his knuckles.

james "cubby boi" davies... i don't know if he has any particular stories but his brand seems to be "how is he a professional athlete." he does have "cubby boi" tattooed across his knuckles.
Which he got while drunk in Vegas for a £1k bet, haha

Perhaps USA vs Russia in Denver the following week will get a bigger crowd? Even though it's much less competitive.

Perhaps USA vs Russia in Denver the following week will get a bigger crowd? Even though it's much less competitive.
Doubt it. Usa vs Ireland only got 22,000 and that was in New York City. It was also played at 2 or 3 which didnt help. I'd imagine usa vs russia in Denver would be lucky to get 10,000.

George

George North would probably be the biggest name there. James Davies is another one to look out for both for his personality and his playing ability.

It's extremely hard to predict a line up because there are a number of factors in play including quota targets (we might see Rassie "inflate" his average this game), but I'm going to make a prediction now that Jantjies will start at fly-half.

Also worth pointing out that it's Erasmus' first game in charge. As much as he is likely to rest players, they definitely won't want to lose.

Doubt it. Usa vs Ireland only got 22,000 and that was in New York City. It was also played at 2 or 3 which didnt help. I'd imagine usa vs russia in Denver would be lucky to get 10,000.
I could be way off base on this because I don't know anything about US rugby culture, but I'd imagine having the USA team involved would be a drawback. Obviously Ireland would be a draw in any northern metro area with all the folks who want to put on green, get drunk, and pretend for an evening that their great grandparents never moved away. I just went and looked at the highlights from the Chicago match. Looked like a sea of green. When I think of white ethnics in Chicago I think of the Poles, but I'd assume there's a ton of Irish there as well. What % of the people wearing green at Soldier Field actually follow rugby? New Zealand and South Africa are the two biggest rugby brand names here in the US if my perception is correct. Your casual Irish American sports fan might rather see a brand name and also not have to root against the USA.

Which he got while drunk in Vegas for a £1k bet, haha
Haha. He says his dad didn't talk to him for a month.

Bok Squad to travel to the USA:

The Springbok squad to face Wales in Washington (in order of name, position, franchise, Test caps, points):

Forwards (16):

Nizaam Carr (loose forward, Stormers, 5, 0)
Dan du Preez (loose forward, Sharks, 3, 0)
Pieter-Steph du Toit (lock, Stormers, 32, 20 - 4t)
Thomas du Toit (prop, Sharks, uncapped)
Jason Jenkins (lock, Bulls, uncapped)
Steven Kitshoff (prop, Stormers, 23, 5 - 1t)
Wilco Louw (prop, Stormers, 5, 0)
Frans Malherbe (prop, Stormers, 17, 0)
Bongi Mbonambi (hooker, Stormers, 14, 5 - 1t)
Oupa Mohojé (loose forward, Cheetahs 18, 0)
Ox Nche (prop, Cheetahs, uncapped)
Sikhumbuzo Notshe (loose forward, Stormers, uncapped)
Marvin Orie (lock, Lions, uncapped)
Chiliboy Ralepelle (hooker, Sharks 23, 5 - 1t)
Kwagga Smith (loose forward, Lions, uncapped)
Akker van der Merwe (hooker, Sharks, uncapped)

Backs (10):

Curwin Bosch (utility back Sharks, 1, 0)
André Esterhuizen (centre, Sharks, uncapped)
Warrick Gelant (fullback, Bulls, 2, 5 - 1t)
Travis Ismaiel (wing, Bulls, uncapped)
Elton Jantjies (flyhalf, Lions, 23, 203 - 2t, 38c, 39p)
Jesse Kriel (centre, Bulls, 29, 40 - 8t)
Makazole Mapimpi (wing, Sharks, uncapped)
Embrose Papier (scrumhalf, Bulls, uncapped)
Ivan van Zyl (scrumhalf, Bulls, uncapped)
Cameron Wright (scrumhalf, Sharks, uncapped)

This game is being shown live on channel 4 in the U.K. :)

Bok Team for the Wales game:

15 Curwin Bosch, 14 Travis Ismaeiel, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ivan van Zyl, 8 Dan du Preez, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Kwagga Smith, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit (captain), 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Ox Nche

Substitutes: 16 Akker van der Merwe, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 Marvin Orie, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Robert du Preez, 23 Warrick Gelant

Latest posts