Reserves:
16 Chiliboy Ralepelle ( Bulls) - 8 caps
17 Jannie du Plessis (Sharks) - 12 caps
18 Alistair Hargreaves (Sharks) - uncapped
19 Ryan Kankowski (Sharks) - 11 caps
20 Meyer Bosman ( Cheetahs) - 3 caps
21 Juan de Jongh ( Stormers) - uncapped
22 Bjorn Basson ( Cheetahs) - uncapped

Like all of us here in SA knew this is a "very" mixed team.Butch and JDV will be a very interesting center combo to observe.The loose-trio should do pretty well, as should the tight 5.And also great to see Frans Steyn back at 15 for the Boks.

Ricky Januarie has been thrown in there deliberatly to take on his Welsh mates. I still hold my opinon that I'd rather have him playing for the Ospreys than Phillips. Spikey Mikey played well for Wales and the Lions, but he's never really cut it for the Ospreys.

Could be worse, but hardly the weakened team I was hoping for when I bought tickets.

Hmmmm, I realize this is the "experimental team" so I shouldn't be too surprised on some of the selections, also great to see 6 over seas based players getting a chance to play again.

Still though, not happy with Meyer Bosman, Chilliboy, Hargreaves and January being there.

Would have mutch rather prefered for PDV to try out Liebenberg and Duvenhage (Duvenhage should definitely become Fourie Du Preez's apprentice).
Happy Gio Aplon gets a chance to play, will be interesting to see how it goes with him, he had a good game again against the Waratahs.

For the real Springbok squad I'm hoping to see Duane Vermeulen in there, Fourie and De Villiers center combination, with Jean De Jong and Olivier acting as benchies for both.

Last edited:
Extremely disappointed Chiliboy Ralepelle is there, honestly there are 6 better hookers in the country. Liebenberg deserves a go.

PdV picked some personal favourites in Bosman and Hargreaves, both were coached by him at age group level.

I still think this side is good though, the forwards are gonna be a delight to watch. That loose trio! Basson, De Jongh and Aplon deserve opportunity. No player here is getting a cheap cap although there are some player I would rather see there (Vermeulen, Liebenberg, Fondse, Deysel) but perhaps there are bigger plans for them? We hosting France soon.

front row battle is gonna be very interesting in this one. Welsh front row was def on top in the 2nd Lions test, but the Bok scrum should be a different thing to handle with Van der Linde and Botha back in the fold. Should be a good battle in the backs too, just really gutted that James Hookis missing it! He's really been in-form recently, and his try against Glasgow was just world class. Would have been a great chance to see him and Jamie Roberts together again too. Looking forward to this match though! Should be a good one.

BJ Botha is on a different level to any of the Welsh props in terms of scrummaging and has an excellent workrate too. Really underrated player, would be a huge asset to SA in the RWC.

The Welsh frontrow hasn't hit previous form since the injuries from Lions either,
Would absolutely love Wales to win, but i think SA will win, probably quite comfortably as well

I'm excited for the match/summer international period either way, i love international rugby, and there's 5 weeks of it starting in one week :D

It would be a very impressive feat if PDV can get all those players in sync with each other in such a small space of time. This is one of the best opportunities Wales will get to beat SA.

That's because it kind of is.... :p That is a world class front row, but apart from that it seems basically a second string team.

Just realised that if JdV is playing in Cardiff on Saturday he won't be playing for the Barbarians in Thomond on Friday :(

Frans Steyn is going to be interesting, as will James and De Villiers combining in the centres. I'm a bit disappointed that Brits isn't in there, win some loose some I guess.

That's because it kind of is.... :p That is a world class front row, but apart from that it seems basically a second string team.

Just realised that if JdV is playing in Cardiff on Saturday he won't be playing for the Barbarians in Thomond on Friday :(
I won't complain if you want to have him back in Limerick for the one game...

JdV played/plays at 13 for Munster doesn't he? Don't think I've ever seen him there in a Bok jersey

He played there at the start of the season Steve-o but didnt impress. However this may be due to him not getting the ball off his 12 much. Not sure he's got the distribution and vision for an international class 13.

I've got my reservations as well.. He did start his career on the wing though, so I'm sure he'll handle it. But him in a 13 Bok jersey is differently a 'stop-gat' situation

He will do fine, he was exposed defensively once by BOD, but what 13 hasn't been over the last 11 years. He is a much better 12 than 13, but with a footballer like James at 12, I'm sure he will make the most of JdV's pace and power.

Gutted to not see Schalk Brits there. Best Hooker i have ever since Kieth Woods. Looks a tad better than last years second team. Should be sufficient to beat Wales i think. Odwa Ndungane is horse poo though.

Happy with front row; actually strongest we've fielded for while. Bench of Ralepelle and Jannie, though... dissapointing. Ralepele is the 4rth choice hooker of the Bulls behind Botha, Kuun and Maku nevermind SA. Liebenberg has a lot to feel unlucky about; def the next behind an injured Bismark with Strauss and Gary Botha the only real contenders. Jannie, I've always felt is a liability in the loose and discipline wise. Had a good last match, though and I know PdV doesn't want to include too many newbies. Fair enough.

Second row looks good considering Bakkies and Victor are being rested. Bekker and Rossouw the form locks anyway IMO. Hargreaves ahead of Sykes, vd Merwe and just about any other first-chpoice Super14 lock? No way. Not even debatable.

Glad for FLouw in the backrow; had an immense season and so consistant. Potgieter waaaaayy overated. Would rather have seen Vermeulen, Deysel, Botes in there considering Schalla, Juan and Spies are being rested. I'd like to see Deysel at 8 some time.. Joe van Niekerk should be interesting; personally haven't followed his playing overseas. Thta said, I'm not a big fan of Kanko in a Bok jersey; great athlete but not for test rugby. So with Spies resting, Danie playing lock etc I guess van Niekerk makes sense. Him being a captain in a NH club side probably means he can be a great help to Smit captaining the side as well.

Januarie isn't even the Stormers 1st choice but is SA's 2nd? He is there on past performances and myths. Way behind Pienaar, Kockott, Duvenhage, Pretorius, Vermaak although Vermaak struggled with injury and I can understand Pienaar at pivot as we have loads of class scrumhalves but lack in the flyhalf dept. Peter Grant unlucky not to make the bench at least, though. Or Butch considering he has stated that he wants to test overseas based players. Meyer-turnstile-Bosman? Doesn't even make the 11th placed S14 starting team but benches it for teh Boks; really ****** at PdV for cheapening the green & gold.

Jean de Villiers and Juan de Jongh not our best but then they are probably being rested. Interesting seeing Butch James there and de Villiers at 13.. would have understood de Villiers at 12 and de Jongh at 13 with James on the bench. Peter Grant again a bit unfortunate not to get a look in with Olivier and Fourie being rested. Would like to see Olivier get a chance to make a step up in the Bok jersey. That said, he has already wasted a couple. Maybe he is more suited to 13 in the Bok set-up. All-in-all, although I distrust the look of this center combo, can't say I'm not interested to see it under fire. Wales is probably one of the better sides too test a center combo against. Jones, Roberts and Hook with a great back three that joins the line...

Okay, so Habana needs a rest and Pieteresn and Mapoe are injured. Aplon and Basson I am glad for and they deserve to be there even though I feel the Bulls wings have reason to be disspointed but Odwa? I think it is about time to put wingers who haven't scored tries this year to bed no matter how likeable they are. Wingers are there to finish tries. We have much much better even if we have to do a Cory Jane and select Killian/Lambie/Pietersen(Joe)/ Kirschner/Ludik. Any one of these ahead of Odwa. Guess PdV felt he allready did with Aplon who can cover fullback. Glad to see Frans Steyn back at 15 although he didn't get gametime there which is a bit worrying. Strange not to see kirschner; I've always been a bit of a critic but he has had a good S14 series (defense could be better) and I would have kept my mouth shut. Possibly PdV sees him as a sure starter ahead of Steyn and has opted to rest him?

All-in-all I have a few gripes but considering many players are resting/injured those gripes are mainly with the bench and although there are better, I guess Januarie and Odwa have experience counting in their favour. At least we should fair better than last year's EoY joke dirt trackers.

This is the best opportunity the Welsh have to beat us. It's a second team, with a week of practice, and looks more like a Barbarians side than it does a Springbok side. I don't think Wales would have any chance of beating us at full strength, but they will know that this is their game to lose, where as PdV is looking at it as an inconvenience. Apparently France Steyn has withdrawn now as well. Hate it when we play international rugby with a crap team, but i guess it was to be expected.

To confirm what Jer1cho said about Steyn...

Steyn wants out of Boks

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers and fullback Frans Steyn are set to hold an emergency meeting in Johannesburg on Friday in a bid to save their strained relationship.

Steyn sent an SMS to the coach earlier this week to withdraw from the Bok side that will play Wales in Cardiff on June 5, but work is being done behind the scenes to resolve their differences.

Sport24's information is that there have been problems between coach and player for some time.

It appears as if there is little communication between the two and that is probably the biggest reason for Steyn's decision to withdraw from the Bok side that is flying out to London on Sunday.

Steyn apparently took the decision in the interests of his team-mates as he does not want to disadvantage them.

He recently tried to contact De Villiers, but a high-ranking South African Rugby Union (SARU) official apparently refused to give him the Bok coach's new cellphone number.

SARU alleged that it's impossible to contact Steyn in Paris where he plays for French club Racing Metro.

Steyn, who is currently visiting a dairy farm near Bethlehem in the Free State, has a French and South African cell number, which makes it difficult for SARU.

If the differences between the parties are not addressed at Saturday's meeting, the Bok coach may have to pick a different fullback for the Test against Wales.

Zane Kirchner (Bulls) and Joe Pietersen (Stormers) will be strong contenders, while it's a known fact that Cheetahs fullback Hennie Daniller was asked to arrange a visa.

The 23-year-old Steyn recently struck a drop goal of over 60 metres for Racing Metro against Clermont.

Sport24 understands that a number of stakeholders, including selection convenor Peter Jooste and Steyn's agent, Gerrie Swart, will attend the meeting in Johannesburg.
Source

The reason for him pulling out is 'up in the air' still.
I've heard it's to do with him not playing 12. If that's the case then he can stay in France forever. That kind of arrogance is not need in the Bok team.
And if he does have a issue with PdV then he can ****** off as well. He just seems a real sulking brat to be honest.

Either way, what ever the reason is for him pulling out of a Bok Test is a slap in the face to SA rugby and unprofessional.

Latest posts