• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Springboks

Woz

Academy Player
Looking forward to this game, can't help thinking Wales are in for a difficult game

Wales didn't look fit, organised in attack or defence and worryingly for the SA game, NZ made way too much easy metres with the close carries.
Team needs a bit of a rethink although some poor squad selection doesn't really help things. Faletau not played this season I believe, still out this weekend. Liam Williams is a maybe after not playing this season so far. No real choice for 13, JD2 only real natural 13 in the squad but is a bit out of sorts. Moriarty the 1st choice proper 6 looks to be out, which leaves Seb Davies, a 2nd row and Tshiunza, a 19yo with a handful of pro games. I would probably start Ellis jenkins but he's another just finding his feet after years out.

Need to sort the basics, then we should be in the fight.

First is the lineout. Elias for me can **** off, not good enough. If Owens isn't fit, Pivac's squad selection has left us in a right pickle. I'd by tempted to throw the lad from Ulster in, can't be worse than Myhill who's not big enough sorry. Sam Parry should be in the squad who I'd have more confidence in, but Ospreys playing a 38 y/o Elvis Taione ahead of him (and Ifan Phillips) has obviously not impressed Pivac!

Scrum is a difficult one as I thought there were a few dodgy calls against us in the first half v NZ. Carre & Lewis are a worry off the bench though. Saying that WGJ has been poor so far for the Scarlets so not sure he's the answer either. Samson Lee possibly should be in the squad for scrummaging alone?

In attack we need to get things moving better. Lienert-Brown did a number on Johnny Williams, read our moves and absolutely smashed him behind the gainline, which is some feat. Not sure it gets any easier in that regard with Am one of the best defensive centres around! Priestland to start though, he showed more variety and confidence than Anscombe. Biggar on the bench is fit.

As for our defense, JD2 has been struggling for a while, so chances are we're going to concede line breaks again...

For me, team would be
Jones, Owens/Roberts, Francis
Beard, Rowlands
Young, Wainwright, Basham

T.Williams, Priestland
J.Williams, JD2 (who else?)
Adams, McNicholl, LRZ

Roberts/Myhill, Carre, WGJ, AWJ/Carter, Jenkins, Davies, Biggar, L.Williams

Jesse kriel on #14. Wish we had a coach that would blood youngsters after 2023 we need to cap a full line-up

15 Damian Willemse, 14 Jesse Kriel, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ox Nche.
Subs: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Jasper Wiese, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn.

Jesse kriel on #14. Wish we had a coach that would blood youngsters after 2023 we need to cap a full line-up

15 Damian Willemse, 14 Jesse Kriel, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ox Nche.
Subs: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Jasper Wiese, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn.

They could have called up Tyrone Green

Tyrone Green was an option. So were Warrick Gelant or Aphelele Fassi. But no. Willemse at 15 and Jesse at 14 with a benched Frans Steyn it is..

I see the Welsh are expecting a poor showing but I can't say I feel a lot of confidence from a SA perspective. Don't know if any otehr Saffas are feeling bullish? We aren't NZ. We managed to beat them in our last game but that and Wales' loss to them doesn't count for anything heading into this match IMO.

NZ can pile on the points with a sniff of an advantage. We have gone for a very conservative team. I can assure you we won't be looking at a style of game that would inflate a scoreline even if we got huge dominance across the board so Wales should be right in this as far as I am concerned.

Tyrone Green was an option. So were Warrick Gelant or Aphelele Fassi. But no. Willemse at 15 and Jesse at 14 with a benched Frans Steyn it is..

I see the Welsh are expecting a poor showing but I can't say I feel a lot of confidence from a SA perspective. Don't know if any otehr Saffas are feeling bullish? We aren't NZ. We managed to beat them in our last game but that and Wales' loss to them doesn't count for anything heading into this match IMO.

NZ can pile on the points with a sniff of an advantage. We have gone for a very conservative team. I can assure you we won't be looking at a style of game that would inflate a scoreline even if we got huge dominance across the board so Wales should be right in this as far as I am concerned.
I think it is going to be a boring as hell match, we will as per normal try and starve wales of the ball and make those aimless box kick's and wait for wales to make a mistake. If we struggle or lose it will be blamed on the new players and Willie will be back in the side next week.

Might as well have left fassi at home to spend time with his family.

I think it is going to be a boring as hell match, we will as per normal try and starve wales of the ball and make those aimless box kick's and wait for wales to make a mistake. If we struggle or lose it will be blamed on the new players and Willie will be back in the side next week.

Fassi will start next week at 15 versus Scotland with Mapimpi and Nkosi on the wings. Willemse is the 23 jersey for RWC23, he needs time to get acclimated. I bet when Steyn comes in, Willemse moves to 12. The 23 jersey is so important for the Boks with the 6-2 split, so you need a player who is both flexible AND competent. Fassi is the future 15, but not the future 23. He will get a start next week.

I'm also not expecting any fireworks.

Fassi will start next week at 15 versus Scotland with Mapimpi and Nkosi on the wings. Willemse is the 23 jersey for RWC23, he needs time to get acclimated. I bet when Steyn comes in, Willemse moves to 12. The 23 jersey is so important for the Boks with the 6-2 split, so you need a player who is both flexible AND competent. Fassi is the future 15, but not the future 23. He will get a start next week.
I agree Fassi is the future but feel Gelant is the present and I still feel salty that he isn't in the mix. Fassi should be in the mix and backing up the wings, here and there a cameo off of the bench in games we can afford to rotate. Green for me should play for a SA team to be considered. At least as far as I am concerned which counts for absolutely Jack I know but I will voice my discontent like the idiot I am.

I'm also not expecting any fireworks.

I agree Fassi is the future but feel Gelant is the present and I still feel salty that he isn't in the mix. Fassi should be in the mix and backing up the wings, here and there a cameo off of the bench in games we can afford to rotate. Green for me should play for a SA team to be considered. At least as far as I am concerned which counts for absolutely Jack I know but I will voice my discontent like the idiot I am.
Could have had Damian W @12, fassi / Gelant @14 and Gelant / Green @15 with however not starting on the bench at least. How Gelant is not even in the squad is above me he have been playing some sublime rugby for the stormers, not following Green that much but from what I remember he is a class act

I cant say im happy with the squad and i have been very gracious so far in the Rassie Nienaber era. Full faith in our management team but disagree with this selection. Fassi should have been at 15 if Le Roux does not play or play Fassi at wing and take Jesse to Fullback a position we known he favours.
Honestly i would have even started Steyn ahead of Damian Willemse at 15 and made Willemse the dedicated backs utility cover.

Reinach maybe deserved a start after his good performances.

We dont need Green if Fassi cant even make the 23.

I thinks its going to be a supremely tight contest, our games with Wales always are, we try and play the same style. In the last 6 years Wales beat us at this style when playing at their home. At the very least he superior tactical ability of our management team should make up for the poor team selection.

AWJ, Moriarty and Faletau are out for several months!:mad: On the other hand, Biggar, Ellis Jenkins and Liam Williams are back in contention.

Need to sort the basics, then we should be in the fight.

First is the lineout. Elias for me can **** off, not good enough. If Owens isn't fit, Pivac's squad selection has left us in a right pickle. I'd by tempted to throw the lad from Ulster in, can't be worse than Myhill who's not big enough sorry. Sam Parry should be in the squad who I'd have more confidence in, but Ospreys playing a 38 y/o Elvis Taione ahead of him (and Ifan Phillips) has obviously not impressed Pivac!

Scrum is a difficult one as I thought there were a few dodgy calls against us in the first half v NZ. Carre & Lewis are a worry off the bench though. Saying that WGJ has been poor so far for the Scarlets so not sure he's the answer either. Samson Lee possibly should be in the squad for scrummaging alone?

In attack we need to get things moving better. Lienert-Brown did a number on Johnny Williams, read our moves and absolutely smashed him behind the gainline, which is some feat. Not sure it gets any easier in that regard with Am one of the best defensive centres around! Priestland to start though, he showed more variety and confidence than Anscombe. Biggar on the bench is fit.

As for our defense, JD2 has been struggling for a while, so chances are we're going to concede line breaks again...

For me, team would be
Jones, Owens/Roberts, Francis
Beard, Rowlands
Young, Wainwright, Basham

T.Williams, Priestland
J.Williams, JD2 (who else?)
Adams, McNicholl, LRZ

Roberts/Myhill, Carre, WGJ, AWJ/Carter, Jenkins, Davies, Biggar, L.Williams
Yeah I thought laulala looked at fault in a few of those calls. It's an area that needs to be tidied up in the rules I reckon. Make it easier for the ref. I remember one time he was getting pats on the back and he kinda looked ashamed.

I read Nkosi isn't there due to passport issues. Not sure how that isn't sorted ages beforehand at this level but I assume he might be available for the rest of the tour? TBH Nkosi has been amixed bag this year but he has been picking it up game to game TBF.

I don't think Fassi will start. They wont keep Willie benched for long and Nienaber already said this week that if the World Cup final was played tomorrow then Willie starts.

Maybe we can take a friendly bet. If Fassi Starts against Scotland I change my profile pic for a week to that of your choosing. If Willie starts the reverse is true and I get to choose.

Shane Lewis-Hughes and Rhys Davies called up. Davies is a prospect for 2nd row, might see him on the bench against Fiji but I expect Ben Carter to take the bench spot this week with Beard and Rowlands starting. SLH is a proper 6, big physical guy, probably someone you would want starting against SA but he's only a few games back from injury as well so unsure if we will see him this week. Maybe on the bench. I reckon the original plan was for Basham to play NZ then Young to come into 7 for this game but after Basham's performance last week and young is also struggling with injury, I'd imagine Basham will keep his place and we might see Jenkins at 6.

I don't think Fassi will start. They wont keep Willie benched for long and Nienaber already said this week that if the World Cup final was played tomorrow then Willie starts.

Maybe we can take a friendly bet. If Fassi Starts against Scotland I change my profile pic for a week to that of your choosing. If Willie starts the reverse is true and I get to choose.
Agreed no way fassi will start at fullback next week. Wing maybe.

Latest posts