• Total voters

ThebigARena

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Scarlets
So with the first 2 games out the way there's now an inferring debate as to who should play against Ireland - a lot of our youngests have impressed so with the likes of Williams , biggar , falatau , north halfpenny all looking to be fit in 2 weeks should they just walk back in or do the likes of moriarty, Patchell josh Adams , anscombe deserve to keep their spot - what would be the best balance for Ireland.

After seeing our reluctance to take the points yesterday... Halfpenny all day long. In tight games, if you are awarded a penalty in the opponents half you should always take the points.

After seeing our reluctance to take the points yesterday... Halfpenny all day long. In tight games, if you are awarded a penalty in the opponents half you should always take the points.

Kick for the line out when up to a two score lead.

I agree I really didn't understand those tactics - it's not as if Patchell is a bad kicker either so it was wasted opportunities . I was one of halfpenny detractors last year but I have to admit after joining the scarlets he seems to be in good form I've noticed he's improved in attack already and his defensive positioning is second to none.

I agree I really didn't understand those tactics - it's not as if Patchell is a bad kicker either so it was wasted opportunities . I was one of halfpenny detractors last year but I have to admit after joining the scarlets he seems to be in good form I've noticed he's improved in attack already and his defensive positioning is second to none.

When looking through the various game stats I was surprised by how many areas in which we actually came out on top. The reason we lost the game was the kicking duel, which England won well. Halfpenny would negate this to some degree if not totally dependant on his performance on the day. His being there would also relieve Patchell to just play his game.

Tough on Anscombe who was pretty darned good yesterday to be fair. Williams is a great player and with North back too it could well be a completely different back three.

15. Rhys Patchell/Leigh Halfpenny (only if fit tostart)
14. Josh Adams
13. Scott Williams
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Steff Evans
10. Gareth Anscombe
9. Gareth Davies
1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Cory Hill
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Josh Navidi
8. Ross Moriaty

16. Elliott Dee
17. Wyn Jones
18. Thomas Francis
19. Bradley Davies
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Aled Davies
22. Leigh Halfpenny/Rhys Patchell
23. George North

15. Rhys Patchell/Leigh Halfpenny (only if fit tostart)
14. Josh Adams
13. Scott Williams
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Steff Evans
10. Gareth Anscombe
9. Gareth Davies
1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Cory Hill
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Josh Navidi
8. Ross Moriaty

16. Elliott Dee
17. Wyn Jones
18. Thomas Francis
19. Bradley Davies
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Aled Davies
22. Leigh Halfpenny/Rhys Patchell
23. George North

It's a tough one on Patchell as although he probably played the worst I have seen him play, I wouldn't want to make him the scapegoat with some knee jerk reaction. We seem to kill fly half's in this country with the weight of expectation and by quickly showing them the exit when things don't go to plan. I would personally keep Patchell in at 10, giving him another chance with 1/2p back in the team.

Anscombe really did play well on Saturday particularly at 10, I did feel his positioning at 15 could've been better though. His versatility dictates him as a bencher for me though (& an effective one at that covering 10, 11, 14 & 15, a player like that is highly useful at World Cups).

Anscombe really did play well on Saturday particularly at 10, I did feel his positioning at 15 could've been better though. His versatility dictates him as a bencher for me though (& an effective one at that covering 10, 11, 14 & 15, a player like that is highly useful at World Cups).

I think it's really important to note that Anscombe is much stronger at 10, particularly when the back row cover helps cover him in defence. He's not a defensive fullback really, and has never had to play a tactical fullback role. Positioning has been an issue at international level. He can play a great counter attack, but he's much better pulling the strings from 10. That said, I agree about Patchell, it would be harsh to drop him now.

15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. George North
13. Scott Williams
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Liam Williams
10. Rhys Patchell
9. Gareth Davies
1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Cory Hill
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Josh Navidi
8. Ross Moriaty

16. Elliott Dee
17. Wyn Jones
18. Thomas Francis
19. Bradley Davies
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Aled Davies
22. Gareth Anscombe
23. Steff Evans

If Halfpenny not fit, move Liam to fullback, Steff Evans to Wing, Adams to bench.

I would have either Williams or Halfpenny at Fullback, England's kicking game really exposed Anscombe at the back in defence. I would still take Patchell at 10 as I think he is way forward, definitely would not pick Biggar though. He would be detrimental to the new style Wales want to play. Adams hasn't done too much wrong so it would be harsh to drop him however you always want to play your best back 3 player (Williams). Amos also looked rather good on the weekend so he could be in with a shout as well. I'm not sure if North really showed anything to get selected over the others though.

1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Cory Hill
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Josh Navidi

9. Aled Davies
10. Gareth Anscombe
11. Steff Evans
12. Hadleigh Parkes
13. Scott Williams
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Bench: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Thomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Taulupe Faletau, Gareth Davies, Dan Biggar, Liam Williams

Tipuric would come back in for me, he is just too classy a player to stay on the bench anymore. He made a big impact when he came on against England. Moriarty hasn't done anything wrong, but has been pretty quiet by his standards so far. Navidi has to stay in the starting team because he is on fire (along with Shingler), so he moves to number 8 where he plays comfortably.

Gareth Davies was poor against England, his delivery from the rucks was very slow and Wales couldn't build up any momentum in attack as a result. Starting Aled (who also made an impact as a sub) would keep Gareth on his toes and gives another scrum half a chance to show their worth in a big game. Anscombe was superb when he switched to 10 on the weekend. Patchell is great on front foot ball, but looks clueless when Wales are struggling. I would be tempted to start Biggar if he was completely match fit, but I think it's probably a big ask getting him to start after a bit of time out. We could have done with his tactical game and solidity under the high ball against England though.

North would replace Adams. Again, like Moriarty, Adams has done nothing wrong, but North just looked that little bit more hungry for the ball when he made an appearance against England. He's also the kind of player that can turn a match around with a little bit of magic.

Faletau would definitely be on my bench if he's fit in time. Another player who has the ability to turn a game on it's head if needs be. Liam Williams is a fantastic sub to call on too. Isn't match fit enough to start, but can cover back three for injuries (if centres get injured, North can move infield and Liam slots into the right wing)

I honestly thought Aled Davies slowed it done when he came on. I agree about Moriaty though, still seems to be struggling to find some form.

15. Halfpenny
14. North
13. Williams
12. Parkes
11. L.Williams
10. Patchell
9. G. Davies
8. Falatau
7. Navidi
6. A. Shingler
5. Alyn wyn Jones
4. Cory hill
3. Samson lee
2. Ken Owens
1.Rob Evans.

Bench.
Steff Evans, G anscombe, aled Davies
T. Francis, Elliot Dee , wyn Jones , r. Moriarty, b Davies

For me this is as strong a team as we can wish for against Ireland it's hard on steff and Adams because they have played consistently well but with shining too brightly I think with north and Williams you got 2 players who can turn a game on its head I think we need that against Ireland it's win or bust have to play our strongest side imo

I'm not sure what North does to warrant getting shoe horned into the team all the time. I would go for:
L Williams, Amos, S Williams, Parkes, Evans, Patchell, G Daves, R Evans, Owens, Lee, Jones, Hill, Shingler, Navadi, Faleteau
bench: Dee, Wyn Jones, Lewis, B Davies, Tipruic, A Davies, Anscombe, North

I think it's really important to note that Anscombe is much stronger at 10, particularly when the back row cover helps cover him in defence. He's not a defensive fullback really, and has never had to play a tactical fullback role. Positioning has been an issue at international level. He can play a great counter attack, but he's much better pulling the strings from 10. That said, I agree about Patchell, it would be harsh to drop him now.

15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. George North
13. Scott Williams
12. Hadleigh Parkes
11. Liam Williams
10. Rhys Patchell
9. Gareth Davies
1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Samson Lee
4. Cory Hill
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Josh Navidi
8. Ross Moriaty

16. Elliott Dee
17. Wyn Jones
18. Thomas Francis
19. Bradley Davies
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Aled Davies
22. Gareth Anscombe
23. Steff Evans

If Halfpenny not fit, move Liam to fullback, Steff Evans to Wing, Adams to bench.

Id go with that just 1 change on the bench id pick faletau instead of tipuric as cover

I'm not sure what North does to warrant getting shoe horned into the team all the time. I would go for:
L Williams, Amos, S Williams, Parkes, Evans, Patchell, G Daves, R Evans, Owens, Lee, Jones, Hill, Shingler, Navadi, Faleteau
bench: Dee, Wyn Jones, Lewis, B Davies, Tipruic, A Davies, Anscombe, North
north played well and 32 test tries in 70 odd caps and 2 lions tours hes a hard man to ignore.....33 tries is joint 27th highest test try scorers of all time

With Wales sexy new style, North might even get the ball in space occasionally.

I'd play him every time. Amazing to think he's still only 25.

Of course, he's English really.

With Wales sexy new style, North might even get the ball in space occasionally.

I'd play him every time. Amazing to think he's still only 25.

Of course, he's English really.
lol North is welsh. He moved to Wales aged 2 , his mam is welsh and he spent his whole life in Wales, educated in anglesey and later the legendary rugby hotbed of llandovery college, both welsh speaking schools speaks fluent welsh too. went through all the age groups with the scarlets and became a global superstar aged 17 with 2 tries against south africa etc aged 25 he has 72 caps and 32 tries and 2 lions tours (one winning tour one drawn) a grand slam in his second season and and another championship win in 2013. a world cup quarter final in 2015 and semi final in 2011...Head a few head injuries of late but he looks fit. The man is already a welsh legend

Latest posts