• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies 28 vs All Blacks 49, July 31st 2010, Fourth Tri Nations Test FT

Yes it did.

Agree absolutely. Not only that, but Mitchell was back on before the half-time break, so even if he didn't get a chance before then, he had 10min to make it clear to Mitchell that the team was on a warning.

Not that I could see. All I saw was him shaking his head. Meanwhile, McCaw made the warning clear to his team. I guess right there you see the difference between a great captain and a poor one.

IMO, Elsom is not suitable to captain the Wallabies. He speaks to the referee in a surly and arrogant fashion, raising his voice as he does so. He doesn't listen, and is only interested in telling the ref what HE thinks. In some respects this reminds me of Borthwick as England Captain; only interested in giving the referee his own opinion. End result, England got something like 10 yellow cards in three games.

I'm afraid to say that this "outrage" came mainly from "Crusader Country" (which makes me somewhat ashamed, since I am a Crusaders supporter).

I notice that those critics are strangely silent at the moment.

Re: Deans leaving Crusader Country - You can't make lemonade with turnips. I recall all the hooting and hollering about letting go the best coach in the world to the Wallabies. Sure his Super 14 record speaks for itself, but in the end the NZ Rugby system is far superior to that of Australia, and its buildup to the 2011 WRC is evident in how the AB's play.

The scary thing is, I don't think the AB's will peak till next year. They made too many mistakes in the second half and their defensive effort coming off the line was relaxed. But such is their confidence that they can go ***-for-tat with the Wallabies and then steamroll them. LOL..

This is gearing up to be a great two years for NZ rugby!

I'm not all that confident, I think we're just a couple of injuries away from disaster at the moment

nah, we are the best in the world this year. next year we will suck, and in 2012 we shall be the best again :p

I'm not saying the AB's aren't the best, just that we'd be vulnerable if Carter or McCaw were to get injured

I'm not saying the AB's aren't the best, just that we'd be vulnerable if Carter or McCaw were to get injured

Agree 100%. There are a few positives though.

Daniel Braid is coming back. If McCaw was to be injured, we have a reliable (if not world class) replacement, which we haven't really had in the last few years.

I think if we want to think about the future of NZ rugby, if we can beat Australia in AMI Stadium, then I think it's time for Carter to sit a few matches on the bench and let Cruden start. He needs starting game time if he is going to be a real back up to Carter. Peri Weepu is in great form, so he can share goal kicking duties with Cruden. Either that we or beg Nick Evans to come back. One thing I really want to mention - Did anyone else see Luke McAlister's 63m goal kick against the wind (well, blowing from right to left), during Auckland vs North Harbour?. I was amazed. He could potentially be our long range goal kicker.

Re: Deans leaving Crusader Country - You can't make lemonade with turnips. I recall all the hooting and hollering about letting go the best coach in the world to the Wallabies. Sure his Super 14 record speaks for itself, but in the end the NZ Rugby system is far superior to that of Australia, and its buildup to the 2011 WRC is evident in how the AB's play.

The scary thing is, I don't think the AB's will peak till next year. They made too many mistakes in the second half and their defensive effort coming off the line was relaxed. But such is their confidence that they can go ***-for-tat with the Wallabies and then steamroll them. LOL..

This is gearing up to be a great two years for NZ rugby!

its the world cup i'm worried about, remember 2003 we thrashed australia in their home ground in the first bledisloe test by an even bigger score i think, and then australia ended up beating us in the 03 world cup

Agree 100%. There are a few positives though.

Daniel Braid is coming back. If McCaw was to be injured, we have a reliable (if not world class) replacement, which we haven't really had in the last few years.

I think if we want to think about the future of NZ rugby, if we can beat Australia in AMI Stadium, then I think it's time for Carter to sit a few matches on the bench and let Cruden start. He needs starting game time if he is going to be a real back up to Carter. Peri Weepu is in great form, so he can share goal kicking duties with Cruden. Either that we or beg Nick Evans to come back. One thing I really want to mention - Did anyone else see Luke McAlister's 63m goal kick against the wind (well, blowing from right to left), during Auckland vs North Harbour?. I was amazed. He could potentially be our long range goal kicker.

That would require Henry picking him though. I think in that instance (touch wood!) Henry still picks someone like Latimer (which is good for the 'future' but not an ideal 'right-now') replacement.

If they really want to develop a solid fetcher - they should re-develop George Whitelock again.

Speaking of dropping the ball on young NZ players, I think the 3-wisemen definitely made the wrong decision regarding Isaac Ross. This kid has/had the potential to be a complete rugby player, but they choose fringe/pet-players instead of taking him, and tell the kid some BS reason why they're not picking him.

I think Ross and G.Whitelock should definitely be in the squad, much like Cruden is (as 'learning' roles). I mean, who doesn't think players like Brett, McAlister, Colin Slade etc are more ready and capable 1st-fives?

That would require Henry picking him though. I think in that instance (touch wood!) Henry still picks someone like Latimer (which is good for the 'future' but not an ideal 'right-now') replacement.

If they really want to develop a solid fetcher - they should re-develop George Whitelock again.

Speaking of dropping the ball on young NZ players, I think the 3-wisemen definitely made the wrong decision regarding Isaac Ross. This kid has/had the potential to be a complete rugby player, but they choose fringe/pet-players instead of taking him, and tell the kid some BS reason why they're not picking him.

I think Ross and G.Whitelock should definitely be in the squad, much like Cruden is (as 'learning' roles). I mean, who doesn't think players like Brett, McAlister, Colin Slade etc are more ready and capable 1st-fives?
Agree with you on Isaac Ross, though Donnelly has been pretty terrific and Sam Whitelock is also looking pretty amazing for a 21 year old. Still, I agree Isaac Ross should have been kept in, but he has lost form since being excluded from the 2009 EOYT.

George Whitelock is totally over rated. He's a poor man's Reuben Thorne, and that's saying something. I also think Latimer is also average. Makes loads of little tackles, but does very little to win turn over ball. I'd pick Daniel Braid, Luke Braid and even Scott Waldrom over him.

I think Stephen Brett is worse than Aaron Cruden is. He had a good Maori series to be fair to him, but he's certainly not international level, behind Stephen Donald even. I agree that Colin Slade looks promising, but because he plays for the Crusaders, he won't get much time to play 1st 5/8th. Aaron Cruden I think needs to continue to be developed. Looking past the RWC, he is young and may be the All Blacks future 5/8th, so we have to groom him into the role, which will take time. I also like Robbie Robinson, but he didn't really impress me during the Maori series.

I hope Luke McAlister stays as far away from the #10 jersey as possible. He's a proven 12. He's a very good 12. He just does not make a very good #10.

The Drew Mitchell Red Card Broken Down

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with you on Isaac Ross, though Donnelly has been pretty terrific and Sam Whitelock is also looking pretty amazing for a 21 year old. Still, I agree Isaac Ross should have been kept in, but he has lost form since being excluded from the 2009 EOYT.

George Whitelock is totally over rated. He's a poor man's Reuben Thorne, and that's saying something. I also think Latimer is also average. Makes loads of little tackles, but does very little to win turn over ball. I'd pick Daniel Braid, Luke Braid and even Scott Waldrom over him.

I think Stephen Brett is worse than Aaron Cruden is. He had a good Maori series to be fair to him, but he's certainly not international level, behind Stephen Donald even. I agree that Colin Slade looks promising, but because he plays for the Crusaders, he won't get much time to play 1st 5/8th. Aaron Cruden I think needs to continue to be developed. Looking past the RWC, he is young and may be the All Blacks future 5/8th, so we have to groom him into the role, which will take time. I also like Robbie Robinson, but he didn't really impress me during the Maori series.

I hope Luke McAlister stays as far away from the #10 jersey as possible. He's a proven 12. He's a very good 12. He just does not make a very good #10.
Totally forgot about Luke Braid. I wonder what his progress is like in terms of how he fits in the picture. I remember reading about him in the last year and how he's the future. But nothing in the way of the coaching panel though.

Interesting about Brett being below Donald. I think he certainly offers more than Donald (in terms of running) but Donald might just edge him out on the kicking department.

True about developing Cruden young. I dunno, I just though Slade seemed like a better choice for now.

And yes, Luke shouldn't be at 10 (unless for absolute emergencies - though i think Piri moves a backline much better). I think he should be at the EOTY as well.

Guys like Stanley and Afoa are just taking up space for more deserving and promising guys imo.

The Drew Mitchell Red Card Broken Down

Excellent.

At about the 2min mark, you can see Richie barking orders to his squad; and Rocky simply just going away feeling like he didn't get what he wanted.

Shows the difference between class captains and not. I personally don't see someone in the current aussie squad as a fitting leader (you guys really miss Mortlock).

Maybe Pocock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mortlock was a great captain. I really have a lot of respect for him, and I'd love to see him in the Aus team for the upcoming RWC. It'd be a great way for a great player to bow out. That being said, I would also like to see Umaga in the team, so maybe I'm a little too nostalgic.

Genia will be the next captain. Got a good head on his shoulders, and is right in the thick of the action.

Wasn't Giteau captain during last years Tri Nations series. I didn't see all the games but maybe he could lead the team.

I think they should stick with Elsom as captain, yes he was a bit irresponsible in not telling his team about the thin ice they were on but Im sure he knows now and will do better in future. Another reason is hes such a good player and a real leader when he tucks the ball in and takes his team forward. Giteau, Sharpe are good players but their form is inconsistent compared to that of Elsoms and the extra burden of captaincy might be a bit weighty for Sharpe and Giteau.

Last edited:
I think they should stick with Elsom as captain, yes he was a bit irresponsible in not telling his team about the thin ice they were on but Im sure he knows now and will do better in future. Another reason is hes such a good player and a real leader when he tucks the ball in and takes his team forward. Giteau, Sharpe are good players but their form is inconsistent compared to that of Elsoms and the extra burden of captaincy might be a bit weighty for Sharpe and Giteau.

I agree on that, but I thought he could have shown some more passion during the last game.
On the other hand, I'm comparing him to McCaw so yeah...

Latest posts