Wallabies Squad for Samoa and Tri Nations

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
SYDNEY, July 10, 2011 (AFP) - - The Wallabies squad announced on Sunday to play Samoa on July 17 and contest the 2011 Tri Nations series:
Wallabies - Backs: Adam Ashley-Cooper (ACT Brumbies), Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs), Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs), Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds), Rod Davies (Queensland Reds), Anthony Faingaa (Queensland Reds), Will Genia (Queensland Reds), Mark Gerrard (Melbourne Rebels), Matt Giteau (ACT Brumbies), Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds), Pat McCabe (ACT Brumbies), Luke Morahan (Queensland Reds), James O’Connor (Western Force), Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels), Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs).

Forwards: Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies), Ben Daley (Queensland Reds), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs), Rocky Elsom (ACT Brumbies/capt), Saia Faingaa (Queensland Reds), James Hanson (Queensland Reds), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds), Matt Hodgson (Western Force), James Horwill (Queensland Reds), Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs), Salesi Ma’afu (ACT Brumbies), Ben McCalman (Western Force), Stephen Moore (ACT Brumbies), Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs), Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs), David Pocock (Western Force), Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs), Beau Robinson (Queensland Reds), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Radike Samo (Queensland Reds), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds), James Slipper (Queensland Reds), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs).

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/9815567/rugbyu-wallabies-squad-for-samoa-tri-tests/

Looks like a strong team, obviously dominated by Reds players. Good to see Samo make a return to the Australian squad

Dean Mumm's a bit of a passenger; really think his inclusion is a bit fishy. (His dad is on the ARU board) Mark Chisolm, Sam Wykes, and maybe even Hugh Pyle would feel a little hard done by. Dan Vickerman is also a confusing pick.

Would imagine Wallabies would pick, not entirely, a B team for their upcoming test against Samoa. Wouldn't be surprised if Deans gave a lot of the Reds players a good rest up. Barnes, Mitchell & Horne are also yet to be considered so it is sort of a 43 man squad.

Dean Mumm's a bit of a passenger; really think his inclusion is a bit fishy. (His dad is on the ARU board) Mark Chisolm, Sam Wykes, and maybe even Hugh Pyle would feel a little hard done by. Dan Vickerman is also a confusing pick.

Would imagine Wallabies would pick, not entirely, a B team for their upcoming test against Samoa. Wouldn't be surprised if Deans gave a lot of the Reds players a good rest up. Barnes, Mitchell & Horne are also yet to be considered so it is sort of a 43 man squad.

Mitchell is the only one out of those three worth picking......

Mitchell is the only one out of those three worth picking......

Not my preference, just something I read. Rob Horne was Deans choice at 13 for a lot of the tests last year before he got injured.

Wallabies is going to be 50+% Reds this year :p
Not a bad team to be talking half the players from though...

Glad to see Samo in there as well, and Higginbotham too
Also happy to hear that Mitchell is still being considered - really hope that he can make the squad

Can Anthony Fainga'a player inside centre? I'd love to see him in the Wallabies midfield, but I think I'd cry if I had to drop AAC
Stick Giteau in the 21 **** because, really, his form doesn't warrant the starting 12 shirt

Moore vs S.Fainga'a is going to be a good battle for the starting Hooker place

Just bring it Wallabies!!!

Yeah I know its going to be tough but we are UP for the challenge.

Good to see Mark Gerrard back in he squad after his OE ... I think he's quite an under rated player, and brings quite a bit of experience to the team.

... Robbie obviously hasn't finalised his provisional World Cup 30 that he wants yet, and has a few positions still up for grabs ... interesting to see 4 hookers n that squad, although Polota-Nau is probably still injured

A shame for Higginbotham that Elsom has been made captain again, as he won't be able to force his way into the starting 15 unless Rocky's hamstring plays up again

Ma'afu is a joke. Not happy about Hanson and Mumm either. And a bit surprised about Gerrard and Vicks...

Wallabies is going to be 50+% Reds this year :p
Not a bad team to be talking half the players from though...

Glad to see Samo in there as well, and Higginbotham too
Also happy to hear that Mitchell is still being considered - really hope that he can make the squad

Can Anthony Fainga'a player inside centre? I'd love to see him in the Wallabies midfield, but I think I'd cry if I had to drop AAC
Stick Giteau in the 21 **** because, really, his form doesn't warrant the starting 12 shirt

Moore vs S.Fainga'a is going to be a good battle for the starting Hooker place

Anthony played inside center all last year...

I thought he had, he strikes me as more if a 12 than 13 but I remember him being at 13 towards the end of the season so just went with that

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

why is Ma'afu in the team i would rather see Greg Holmes but dosent matter all hell do is warm the bench some game

I think that Dean Mumm is a great lock and always plays well for Australia.

No big surprises in the squad - slightly surprised that Richard Brown didn't make (not I would have selected him myself). It certainly looks to be a side picked on form.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised of the inclusion of Ma'afu... Ok, he might have some benefits being at Wallaby camp, but no ways he's gonna play the 3N... maybe he could be in the starting XV against Samoa, then he won't make the final cut. Greg Holmes or even Baxter would have been a bigger boost for the scrummaging.
Surprised also for Mumm, average lock, useless flanker, can't see him in the 30-man squad.

I was expecting for Cameron Shepherd, but I think his race was against Gerrard, so they opted for the second one, as he can cover 13 spot too (and more injury free)!

15 Beale
14 oconnor
13 Ashley Cooper
12 giteau
11 ionie
10 Cooper
9 genia
What do you reckon the tri nations backline will be? This is without Mitchell being considered. I also think that gits has had a very solid season in an underperforming side. He deserves to be in the 22 at least. he played with a lot of heart.
I wouldn't mind if they tried faingaa in one of the centre spots be it inside or outside.

As a kiwi fan I hope they pick Ioane. He has great pace and is strong but has awful skills, I'd put Ashley Cooper on one wing, Gerrard at centre. I think the aussies will need Ashley-Cooper's kick reception and kicking game, especially in the WC.

The Oz backs are really really good, to the point where I think Giteau is their potential weak link.

15 Beale
14 oconnor
13 Ashley Cooper
12 giteau
11 ionie
10 Cooper
9 genia
What do you reckon the tri nations backline will be? This is without Mitchell being considered. I also think that gits has had a very solid season in an underperforming side. He deserves to be in the 22 at least. he played with a lot of heart.
I wouldn't mind if they tried faingaa in one of the centre spots be it inside or outside.

I think this will be their best backline. I wouldn't mind seeing Rod Davies, as I'm a bit of a fan of his, but I don't know if he has the all-round game to be useful in a Tri Nations match.

Latest posts