• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies Squad - Rugby Championship 2014

can i ask who is the guy that the honey badger give the bottle off water too ? my guess is James Horwill am i right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tatafu Polota Nau is ruled out for the first 2 games against ABs

TPN being out its a disaster - he's excellent around the field, hits like a truck and is a very solid scrummager. With our first and second choice hookers out, not only have we lost a rare position of advantage (in the forwards no less) over the All Blacks but our scrum will suffer greatly which we can ill afford.

I like Charles as much as the next guy but he is not ready yet for the big stage and is an average player. He does throw straight though...

As for the selection decisions at 10, 12 and 13 - I feel strongly about both Foley and AAC starting. I'm also inclined to go with Beale at 12 to preserve continuity and combinations developed over the course of the Super XV season. Now, what do I expect to see? Petty much the exact team that played the 3rd French Test which makes a lot of sense too however I would like to see us take the gamble. If we hope to win back the Bledisloe, then the Sydney Test is a must win.

I'd probably be running with 10 Foley, 12 Toomua/Beale, 13 Ashley-Cooper

Only problem is Foley, Beale could be a liability in defence at test level.

Personally I don't think losing Polota-Nau for a few games is necessarily a bad thing for Australia. He is certainly very dynamic, but I think he suits the role of an impact sub rather than a starter. The lineout was an area where I thought the AB's could have really attacked Australia too with Polota-Nau throwing, but it will be more difficult with a more accurate thrower like Charles. I've got a lot of time for Charles. He does the basics well (which is essential at all levels), and is a very under-rated ball runner in my opinion. The fact he is playing professional sport with cystic fibrosis in itself is a phenomenal achievement!

Even when Polota-Nau returns I would be tempted to continue to start Charles and play Polota-Nau off the bench...

Only problem is Foley, Beale could be a liability in defence at test level.

Foley defended pretty well throughout the season and in the final in particular. To add to that his goal kicking is about 80% at the moment, so he's probably our best option in that regard. As for Beale - yeah he's still a problem in defence, but man some of his passes are sublime... the first AAC try was thanks to brilliant lead up work in which Beale put a stunning flat ball out wide to Foley.

I mean more Foley and Beatle as a partnership, not individually.
Foley/toomua or Toomua/Beatle would be ok, but i think they would be targeted

I mean more Foley and Beatle as a partnership, not individually.
Foley/toomua or Toomua/Beatle would be ok, but i think they would be targeted

Foley/Toomua is the most likely combo, but whilst Toomua is a great defender, he has a tendency to rush the line. It works well a lot of the time, but when he has misjudged it, it has led to breaks/tries.

McCabe at 11 against ABs???

Pat McCabe looking likely to win place on the wing for Wallabies' Bledisloe opener:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...bledisloe-opener/story-e6frf55l-1227016978081

Likely starting Wallabies team:

1 James Slipper
2 Nathan Charles
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Rob Simmons
5 Sam Carter
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Wycliff Palu
9 Nic White
10 Bernard Foley
11 Pat McCabe
12 Matt Toomua
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
15 Israel Folau

Personally I would opt for Tomane (to give the Wallabies a bit more firepower out wide) but I'm sure McCabe (or Horne) could do a good job on the wing if required. I think McCabe is a very underrated player - he offers at least as much on attack as Cummins, and is an even more reliable defender. His biggest issue is probably his lack of experience on the wing, which the ABs may be able to exploit....

yeah I heard McCabe was training on the wing. Pretty sure he was a winger/full back until Robbie Deans used him at 12.

Happy to have McCabe run on as the #11, he is in career best form and it's good to see him in his preferred position on the wing (not wasted at #12). The more I think about it, playing AAC on the other wing is a waste but I can understand preserving the Brumbies center combo. I would argue that if AAC gets the start at #13 - you should start Beale too.

The Wallabies selection headaches really come down to whether you pick the on-form players at the expense of proven player combinations. The 10/12, 12/13 and 10/12/15 combination are pretty tough to call. Hopefully Ewen gets it right.

Good to see Carter getting the start and most likely big Willie Skelton off the bench. This is the right call in my humble opinion. Horwill has been great and is clearly a good leader but his time is coming to an end. Simmons will provide some very needed experience come set piece time.

It will be interesting to see who earns the #9 jersey over the course of the RC. White will start but Phipps has been spectacular in recent weeks where as White has looked off. I have never been a fan but he has turned me around this season. He just needs to work on clearing the ball out a little faster..

Overall, I think we have a pretty menacing squad. I just wish I could see Moore, Speight and JOC in the team sooner! I will guarantee they are in the starting WC squad next year.

Last edited:
Happy to have McCabe run on as the #11, he is in career best form and it's good to see him in his preferred position on the wing (not wasted at #12). The more I think about it, playing AAC on the other wing is a waste but I can understand preserving the Brumbies center combo. I would argue that if AAC gets the start at #13 - you should start Beale too.

The Wallabies selection headaches really come down to whether you pick the on-form players at the expense of proven player combinations. The 10/12, 12/13 and 10/12/15 combination are pretty tough to call. Hopefully Ewen gets it right.

Good to see Carter getting the start and most likely big Willie Skelton off the bench. This is the right call in my humble opinion. Horwill has been great and is clearly a good leader but his time is coming to an end. Simmons will provide some very needed experience come set piece time.

It will be interesting to see who earns the #9 jersey over the course of the RC. White will start but Phipps has been spectacular in recent weeks where as White has looked off. I have never been a fan but he has turned me around this season. He just needs to work on clearing the ball out a little faster..

Overall, I think we have a pretty menacing squad. I just wish I could see Moore, Speight and JOC in the team sooner! I will guarantee they are in the starting WC squad next year.

Agree. Carter has been getting through a tonne of work this season and the Brumbies locks have been more effective at line-outs than the 'Tahs, so it provides a good balance having a Brumbies contingent there. But Skelton's impact off the bench can't be under-estimated - they guy's mass and ball skills just create so many opportunities late in games.

The injuries just keep on coming for the Wallabies: Joe Tomane and Laurie Weeks have hamstring strains.

Interesting post over at G&G today

Just for ****s-n-giggles...who would you put your money on?

Wallabies Rehab & Rejects

1. James Slipper 1.Ben Robinson
2. Nathan Charles 2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu 3. Ben Alexander
4. Sam Carter 4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons 5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Fardy 6. Matt Hodgson
7. Michael Hooper (c) 7. David Pocock (c)
8. Wycliff Palu 8. S. Higginbotham
9. Nic White 9. Will Genia
10. Kurtley Beale 10. Quade Cooper
11. Rob Horne 11. Henry Speight
12. Matt Toomua 12. Cristian Lealiafano
13. A. Ashley-Cooper 13. Tevita Kurindrani
14. Pat McCabe 14. Joe Tomane
15. Israel Folau 15. James O'Connor

didn't know where to post this, so here it is:

"AUSTRALIA

It's not always easy to prove a link between Super Rugby franchise form and the fortunes of the respective national sides, but the Aussie press have been keen to remind everyone willing to listen that the last time the Wallabies won the tournament - in 2011 - an Australian franchise was also top of the Super Rugby pile.

Like the Reds back then, the Waratahs have supplied the core of the Wallaby team as the absence of Will Genia and Quade Cooper is no train smash considering the stellar form of the 'Tahs backline. Likewise David Pocock is hardly missed with Michael Hooper developing into a world-class flank and skipper.

..."

Pretty cool preview of all four sides:
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9418269,00.html

Latest posts