Wallabies vs Barbarians 01/11/2014 Twickenham stadium

David Smith

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Force
Barbarians Team:

15 Tim Nanai Williams (Chiefs), 14 Frank Halai (Blues & New Zealand), 13 Juan de Jongh (Stormers & South Africa), 12 Francis Saili (Blues & New Zealand), 11 Nick Cummins (Coca Cola West Red Sparks & Australia), 10 Colin Slade (Crusaders & New Zealand), 9 Tomas Cubelli (Belgrano Ath & Argentina), 8 Steven Luatua (Blues & New Zealand), 7 Matt Todd (Crusaders & New Zealand), 6 Adam Thomson (Canon Eagles & New Zealand), 5 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow & Scotland), 4 Dominic Bird (Canterbury & New Zealand), 3 Angus Ta'avao (Blues), 2 James Parsons (Blues), 1 Matt Stevens (Sharks & England)

Substitutes: 16 Mahonri Schwalger (Chiefs & Samoa), 17 Thomas du Toit (Sharks), 18 Lourens Adriaanse (Sharks), 19 Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs & South Africa), 20 Matias Alemanno (La Tablada & Argentina), 21 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs), 22 Joaquin Tuculet (Grenoble & Argentina), 23 Marnitz Boshoff (Golden Lions & South Africa)

vs

Wallabies team

Wallabies: 1. Benn Robinson, 2. Saia Faingaa, 3. Ben Alexander, 4. Sam Carter, 5. James Horwill, 6. Scott Higginbotham, 7. Matt Hodgson, 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Will Genia, 10. Quade Cooper, 11. Rob Horne, 12. Matt Toomua, 13. Tevita Kuridrani, 14. Henry Speight, 15. Israel Folau. Reserves: James Hanson, James Slipper, Sekope Kepu, Will Skelton, Sean McMahon, Nic White, Bernard Foley, Christian Lealiifano, Joseph Tomane (one to be omitted).

Official

Referee: Jaco Peyper

Prediction : wallabies by 30+

Last edited:
That is no mean Baabaas side. Of course they have the disadvantage of a lack of cohesion and the expectation would be on them to play 'exhibition rugby' (not necesarrily pragmatic IE winning rugby) but I'd be very much impressed if Aussie managed 30+. Very impressed indeed. I know Aussie is under pressure to perform having lost 3 on the trot and I certainly expect a win for them here but 30+ seems a tad ambitious to my ears.

Will be very interesting to see the Baabaas starting team. Mine would look like;

1 Thomas du Toit
2 James Parsons
3 Angus Ta'avao
4 Dominic Bird
5 Steven Luatua
6 Matt Todd
7 Heinrich Brussow
8 Adam Thompson
9 Sarel Pretorius
10 Colin Slade
11 Patrick Osbourne
12 Francis Sai'ili
13 Juan de Jongh
14 Frank Halai
15 Tim Nanai Williams

For Aus, I am excited to see Speight come in; they've been lacking some out-and-out wingers of late and Speight has everything you want in a wing.

My BaaBaas team:

15 Joaquin Tuculet
14 Frank Halai
13 Tim Nanai-Williams
12 Juan de Jongh
11 Nick Cummins
10 Marnitz Boshoff
9 Tomas Cubelli
8 Heinrich Brussow
7 Matt Todd
6 Steven Luatua
5 Matias Alemanno
4 Dominic Bird
3 Matt Stevens
2 James Parsons
1 Thomas du Toit

Last edited:
aaaaah, Nick Cummins gets to take his revenge over those who have so unjustly dropped him. I bet he'll want to play out of his socks and will lookto crack a ton of good ones after the match if they win. This is the Baabaas vs the Beebees, and may the beh-best win (uh huh hoo hoo..).

Seen an article somewhere on the old tinternet that did make a claim that Michael Cheika will look to possibly using overseas Australians. So Cummins could still feature come World Cup.

He is fit and ready to go. Finally we get to see Speight in wallaby gold

:bravo:

That's very good for Wallabies, he's one of the best winger in the world IMO.

Seen an article somewhere on the old tinternet that did make a claim that Michael Cheika will look to possibly using overseas Australians. So Cummins could still feature come World Cup.

That rule is the reason why he had the opportunity with the Wallaby jersey, without that rule he has no chance:

Henry Speight, James O'Connor, Drew Mitchell, Digby Ioane...

Last edited:
Cummins is a limited winger though. I wouldn't even want him in the Bok team and we don't need our wings as much as Aus do. Speight in is good news. If they can get overseas-based players in I'd have O'Connor on the other wing and Giteau is a shoe-in at 12. Folau is their best bet at fullback despite his limitations as a kicker but that's where JO'C can come into play. Kuridrani and AAC are both class at 13 and it's a nice problem to have not to be able to play two world clas 13s at the same time;

15 Folau
14 O'Connor
13 Kuridrani (if you have Gits inside otherwise AAC)
12 Giteau
11 Speight
10 Foley
9 Genia

21 ? Phipps ?
22 Cooper / Beale / Toomua depending on who is in the best form
23 AAC

Apart from a world class back up scrummie that is one ridiculous backline.

Recent Babaa games have been great to watch and they have played some very nice rugby, looking forward to this.

Yeah, the world XV game vs SA earlier in the year was a good game of rugby as well; they certainly didn't make it easy for us.

Cummins is a limited winger though. I wouldn't even want him in the Bok team and we don't need our wings as much as Aus do. Speight in is good news. If they can get overseas-based players in I'd have O'Connor on the other wing and Giteau is a shoe-in at 12. Folau is their best bet at fullback despite his limitations as a kicker but that's where JO'C can come into play. Kuridrani and AAC are both class at 13 and it's a nice problem to have not to be able to play two world clas 13s at the same time;

15 Folau
14 O'Connor
13 Kuridrani (if you have Gits inside otherwise AAC)
12 Giteau
11 Speight
10 Foley
9 Genia

21 ? Phipps ?
22 Cooper / Beale / Toomua depending on who is in the best form
23 AAC

Apart from a world class back up scrummie that is one ridiculous backline.

The only player on your list who can't play the next WC so far is Giteau (JOC has signed a contract with Reds). We are talking about a very strong squad, Australia has a great chance next year.

:bravo:
That rule is the reason why he had the opportunity with the Wallaby jersey, without that rule he has no chance:

Henry Speight, James O'Connor, Drew Mitchell, Digby Ioane...

If the rule was relaxed he could still feature. He has a good track record as a finisher so don't see why not.

Anyway, I thought I would embed the Barbarians Twitter feed into this thread.

<a class="twitter-timeline" href="https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC" data-widget-id="527179729019731968">Tweets by @barbarian_FC</a>
<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>

<script id="twitter-wjs" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js"></script><script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
team released:

Barbarians team

15 Tim Nanai Williams (Chiefs), 14 Frank Halai (Blues & New Zealand), 13 Juan de Jongh (Stormers & South Africa), 12 Francis Saili (Blues & New Zealand), 11 Nick Cummins (Coca Cola West Red Sparks & Australia), 10 Colin Slade (Crusaders & New Zealand), 9 Tomas Cubelli (Belgrano Ath & Argentina), 8 Steven Luatua (Blues & New Zealand), 7 Matt Todd (Crusaders & New Zealand), 6 Adam Thomson (Canon Eagles & New Zealand), 5 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow & Scotland), 4 Dominic Bird (Canterbury & New Zealand), 3 Angus Ta'avao (Blues), 2 James Parsons (Blues), 1 Matt Stevens (Sharks & England)

Substitutes: 16 Mahonri Schwalger (Chiefs & Samoa), 17 Thomas du Toit (Sharks), 18 Lourens Adriaanse (Sharks), 19 Heinrich Brussow (Cheetahs & South Africa), 20 Matias Alemanno (La Tablada & Argentina), 21 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs), 22 Joaquin Tuculet (Grenoble & Argentina), 23 Marnitz Boshoff (Golden Lions & South Africa)

Not bad, though I'd have liked to see Brussow, Du Toit, Pretorius and Osbourne start for various reasons. Osbourne not even making the 23 though I think he is the best winger in the squad.

De Jongh and Saili is a pretty average midfield I reckon. Saili has been pretty awful in the ITM cup.

De Jongh and Saili is a pretty average midfield I reckon. Saili has been pretty awful in the ITM cup.

Not really sure what's happened to Saili this year. I still think he had the potential to be a long term All Black but he will have to step up next season (and be starting for the Blues) if he wants to progress.

On a side note, it's nice to see that the NZRU has reinstated the Junior All Blacks rugby team ;)

Latest posts