• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Want to Play Rugby But I'm a Wimp

notadoctor

Academy Player
Hey all, looking for some help here.

I'm early 20s and haven't had much contact sport experience (high school cross country/track runner). I recently joined my local rugby club and I love the sport and the community. One issue though, I'm a wimp. I've played a 7s tournament (4 games) and had my first 15s game recently, and in total I've maybe touched the ball in game 4 times and made 3 tackles. I'm not super weak by any means, I've been hitting the weights for a while now and have been really proud of my progress, but I really just don't know how to use my body or get past the fear of having my teeth knocked out. The feedback I get after any game is to not be afraid, and I understand that, I just don't know how to do it.

Any advice from any vets to the sport or folks who've had similar issues/helped players with this issue?

Tricky TBH. It's a bit of mental hurdle, but in my experience, you're probably less likely to hurt yourself by being tentative than you are by being fully committed.

More you mean BPM.

OP, I think you'r best bet would be some tackling practice. Very difficilt to overcome these worries in a match scenario where you might also be nervous and worried about costing your side. I'd expect your coach would be able to help you with it. Or if you feel uncomfortable approaching your coach, do you have a friend/sibling who could run through some drills with you?

Once you get used to making some proper tackles and/or taking some hits I think you'll quickly realise there's nothing much to be scared of. Before anything though it may be good to brush up on you'r tackling technique. Getting your head in the wrong place is never good. You can even purchase inflatable tackle bag things with weighted bases to do some training on your own which could help with this.

I heard a professional rugby player say in an interview that rugby is all about technique. Ask a veteran player or coach to show you how to use that technique instead of bouncing off other ruggers or being barreled over. I'm sure if you ask around you'll find someone who'll help you learn the proper way to tackle and take a hit. Stop putting yourself down (you're not a wimp), think positive and hang in there! đź‘Ť

Last edited:

I'm early 20s and haven't had much contact sport experience (high school cross country/track runner). I recently joined my local rugby club and I love the sport and the community. One issue though, I'm a wimp. I've played a 7s tournament (4 games) and had my first 15s game recently, and in total I've maybe touched the ball in game 4 times and made 3 tackles. I'm not super weak by any means, I've been hitting the weights for a while now and have been really proud of my progress, but I really just don't know how to use my body or get past the fear of having my teeth knocked out. The feedback I get after any game is to not be afraid, and I understand that, I just don't know how to do it.

Any advice from any vets to the sport or folks who've had similar issues/helped players with this issue?
what position do you play?

I actually remember the moment learned to enjoy a bit of contact, high school game, they got a penalty on our 5m and they did a bit of a wall with a few people in motion...no idea why but i just got the feeling one of several guys was going to get the pill...maybe he just looked a bit more determined...and he did...and i had decided what ever happens i was tackling this guy...he pops up from behind the wall with the pill and i text book him right around the waist and put him on his back...something happens and they get another penalty...and they try the same wall again!...so i just line up the same guy again and this time actually drive him back and everyone else is right behind me and we drive over get the pill and clear

the lesson...keep trying...and one day you'll do something great and then you'll want to do it again...and again...and again

The only way to build confidence in the tackle is to practise it. Personally I'd speak to your coach and ask them to do some 1 on 1 practise, first at walking pace, then jogging pace then full tilt.

It will build confidence so that in a match you use your technique without fear.

Latest posts