• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Want to start playing again - positional advice

Jack_Rob

Academy Player
Hi all

I stopped playing a couple of years ago as other things got in the way but I love the sport. I'm hoping to play a bit this year and hopefully carry that on to uni.

I was just wondering what position I should be focusing on. I'm 5 foot 7/8 and weigh 11.5 stone. I can pass both ways, decent kicking game and am solid under the high ball. Probably above average pace but wouldn't say I'm quick. Vocal and enjoyed directing the team.

Weaknesses, defensively a bit inconsistent but I'm willing to work on that.

Obviously it's hard to say but I'd like to put some work in before I start playing again and was just wondering what position people think I should be focusing on.

Yup, sounds like a scummy to me - you'll need to work on your defence though, and box kicking (as opposed to just "kicking") and reading the game like a forward so that you can boss them properly - they need to be taken in hand and simply told what to do sometimes - it can be dangerous letting them try to think things through themselves.

Thanks guys.

Are there any specific aspects I should be focusing on in relation to my build/physique. I used to enjoy playing at centre but my lack of size became an issue for me so I switched to 10.

Am I a decent build for a 9 or is there anything I should be focusing on? Thanks again.

At Scrummy, it's all about fitness rather than physique; you'll cover the most metres of anyone on the pitch with the possible exception of the 7; and you'll need to do so rapidly.
In terms of your gym training, you'll need core, forearms, shoulders, arse and thighs. Biceps and triceps don't really need to be trained at all as you'll get all you need there from doing the forearms; and you actively don't want bulk in the upper arms.
Concentrate on acceleration - pace is nice at SH, but it's the first 5m that really matters to exploit, beyond that, it's the ability to keep going for 80 minutes without slowing down.

Your job in attack is to get the ball to the FH as quickly and sympathetically as possible; 2nd choice is exploiting any gaps that do open up for you and constantly keeping pace on the ball. It's your job to boss the fat lads and tell them where to stand and how many need to go get that ball; and then get them out of the way so you can get it. Know your options before the ball actually arrives. Box kicking is nice, but TBH overrated at lower league level - it's a tough skill and takes time and dedication to master it, and a bad box kick is a terrible option.
In defence, you'll have to act the speed bump for the backrow on occassion - essentially, try to make them target you so that your flanker can complete the tackle and challenge for the ball; or if they're going beyond you, then hassle their SH so they can't take an inside ball, and if possible, just basically jump on their back to make your team-mate's job easier. As soon as the ball is out from the tight space, then you're the sweeper in defence covering any half-breaks, offloads or chips over the top and allowing the back 3 to pendulum. You then need to know where the next breakdown is going to be - you don't need to be there first, but you need to exploit any turn overs (basically, never, ever kick those away), sometimes you'll need to help secure the ball, but whenever that happens you then need to shout at whoever should have been doing that already.

Talk to the ref, and strike up a flow with him; you need him onside so that he'll listen to your suggestions, and remember, he's the only person on the pitch you don't want to **** off. If you have the gift of the gab, then use it, WUM the opposition mercilessly, and be perfectly happy to take a punch, then suggest the ref uses his cards.

I would play as a scrum half, If not then definitely stay away from any forward positions, stick to back positions.

Latest posts