• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Want to watch the RWC in the States? Prepare to pay

To get the RWC I need to shell out another $150!
I don't even see a $150 option, I see $199 ... WTF, I also shelled out the cash for the Rugby Pass, I can't believe they're trying to gouge us like this. I don't know if I can afford this, what a bummer...

I've just managed to watch ITV Player using a Nord VPN UK IP, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to watch it that way. ITV hold the UK broadcast rights and are showing every game.

If you don't have a VPN at the moment, check cashback sites before signing up. IIRC I got something like 65% cash back on a 3 year subscription, which made it dirt cheap.

**** yeah i paid for it cause i need my fix. Companies should know they can charge ridiculous prices since rugby viewing is pretty inelastic. There aren't a lot of casual fans in the united states; you either really want to watch it or you aren't that into it.

There aren't a lot of casual fans in the united states; you either really want to watch it or you aren't that into it.
True, I suppose...

This was my first year watching rugby, and it was expensive. I bought the Rugby Pass from NBC Sports for $79.99, and I pay $5 or $6 per month for ESPN+ ... that got me Premiership, Pro14, Super Rugby, 6 Nations, both Euro cups, and some international tests. But shelling out another pile of cash for one tournament? Man oh man...

Thanks for the VPN advice, I'm gonna look into that, and I'm also told that you can just search Reddit for live streams of almost any game and find multiple options, so I am hopeful.

True, I suppose...

This was my first year watching rugby, and it was expensive. I bought the Rugby Pass from NBC Sports for $79.99, and I pay $5 or $6 per month for ESPN+ ... that got me Premiership, Pro14, Super Rugby, 6 Nations, both Euro cups, and some international tests. But shelling out another pile of cash for one tournament? Man oh man...

Thanks for the VPN advice, I'm gonna look into that, and I'm also told that you can just search Reddit for live streams of almost any game and find multiple options, so I am hopeful.
This is exactly what I do. NBC Gold and ESPN+

I'll do the Reddit thing too I suppose

**** yeah i paid for it cause i need my fix. Companies should know they can charge ridiculous prices since rugby viewing is pretty inelastic. There aren't a lot of casual fans in the united states; you either really want to watch it or you aren't that into it.
They know that they're competing with VPNs though, surely...

Rugby in the States is extremely niche, akin to something like fly-fishing and thus viewing it is expensive.
The world is however moving closer towards internet-based streaming services. In the UK for instance people are now cancelling their standard TV licenses and relying on things like Netflix, NowTV and Amazon Prime.

It is only a matter of time before all Sport is widely available through internet streaming platforms, and I think broadcasting companies know that their days are now numbered. They are just milking it while they still can.

They know that they're competing with VPNs though, surely...
are they? i know people on online rugby forums are probably comfortable using VPNs but for a lot of people they are too complicated and a lot of americans are were too scared to illegally download music. Not to mention the ability to just turn on your smart tv and go to the nbc sports app and get hd quality is super nice. I know that it is cheaper to use VPN + rugby pass with a chrome stick but the knowledge necessary to do so is a bit of a burden.

Latest posts