• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Waratahs and Reds set to fight over returning Elsom

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Waratahs look like they will have a fight on their hands if they want to re-sign former Waratah Rocky Elsom as the Reds in Queensland are sizing the returning player up.

If they Reds do sign Elsom he could immediately line up against New South Wales in a July interstate match that is in the planning.

The Queensland and New South Wales Rugby Unions are negotiating with the ARU to stage a return Templeton Cup clash on July 5, in the middle of a four-week international hiatus for the Wallabies.

The first interstate clash for 2009 will happen this Friday night in the Super14 at the Sydney Football Stadium and the second one hinges on Test coach Robbie Deans' support in releasing the Reds and Waratahs Wallabies.

Elsom has announced that he will return from Irish club Leinster in late May so that he can play for Australia and is therefore expected to be part of a group of 15-20 Reds and Waratahs expected to be in Deans' 30-man squad heading into the Tri-Nations, which kicks off on July 19.

Queensland Rugby Union high performance manager Ben Whitaker has been speaking with the 26-year-old who also has current links to Brisbane where his girlfriend studies and it is thought that she does not want to leave.
"Rocky is a Queenslander and went to school here at Nudgee College so we're definitely interested in him for sure," Reds coach Phil Mooney told AAP.[/b]
Super14.com

I can't see Rocky signing for the Reds, he looked happy at the Waratahs or am I wrong?

I like the cut of your jib.

Phil Waugh has come out saying he also doubted that Rocky would sign with the Reds, that he considers Sydney home and already has history with the team. All in all I doubt he'll sign with the koalas.

Though i'm sure the Red Army contingent on this forum will correct me.

Yeah and I mean if you look at the log....

2.Waratahs
9.Reds
<strike>Oh ****! I just realized the Reds are above the Stormers</strike> :eek: :D .

Not that I'm saying the Reds are a crappy team, but the 'Tahs looks to be the better signing option for Elsom...

i read somewhere that his girlfriend lives in brisbane.... if the moneys right i wouldn't be surprised if he moves north.

really hope he doesn't though... :(

really hope he sees out his contract with us cause he's been our standout forward all season and it would be a double blow if we lose Contepomi which looks more likely now. He's probably be better off financially staying with Leinster.

Good to see he is doing well. On a different note, why hasn't Ratu Nasiganiyavi got a run with the Tahs yet?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 12 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
really hope he sees out his contract with us cause he's been our standout forward all season and it would be a double blow if we lose Contepomi which looks more likely now. He's probably be better off financially staying with Leinster.[/b]

i'm sure he is better of financially with leinster. but he can't play for the wallibes if he's playing for leinster. thats why he's coming home. :D

oh and in regards to Ratu Nasiganiyavi he got a stress fracture near his ankle during the pre-season. he was ruled out for 2 months from memory. can't wait to see him in full swing when he gets back...

It's reported in today's Irish Times that Elsom is staying with Leinster for another year.

Latest posts