• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 6: Waikato Chiefs v British & Irish Lions (Hamilton)

I have to say one thing I've noted from admittedly young and inexperienced super rugby teams but also some more experienced players in the Maori is that under pressure they can make some really bad and risky decisions. We know of course that new zealand rugby sides take more risks and play at a faster tempo but it does feel like you can really get them to take bad risks by putting them in such situations.
You don't make a good omelette without breaking eggs is what I often repeat. New Zealand SR teams usually take a lot of risks, but when they pay off, the reward is 10 times more enjoyable for the spectators. I prefer to watch a team that loses by taking risks than a team that wins without trying anything at all.
The NZ national team is well balanced between conservative play and risky decision making. Combine that with great handling skills and you've got a clinical, lightning fast attack and effective defense.

I think Gatland is pretty good at the improvising aspect of putting together a Lions team, but his lack of clearsightedness in not giving Liam Williams a runout at fullback until now is surely the coaching mistake of the tour so far.

I think Gatland is pretty good at the improvising aspect of putting together a Lions team, but his lack of clearsightedness in not giving Liam Williams a runout at fullback until now is surely the coaching mistake of the tour so far.

Taking Rob Howley as the attacks coach was the coaching mistake of the tour ....

So Gatland splits the squad into midweek and test, and suddenly the midweek are banging out the tries.
Almost like not having the coaches full attention is beneficial :p
This Chiefs outfit is pretty poor too, not sure they would have been able to score as many tries against a much more experienced kiwi SR team.

Whoever was in charge of the Williams decision made the coaching error of the tour so far. It was a bit daft to think that Williams couldn´t play fullback when he was Wales´ best player when he played there against the ABs last summer.

Feel that there is a number of tight five players who are exhausted now - henderson and cole, and really should be subbed but aren't being because of who is on the bench. Poor player management.

You don't make a good omelette without breaking eggs is what I often repeat. New Zealand SR teams usually take a lot of risks, but when they pay off, the reward is 10 times more enjoyable for the spectators. I prefer to watch a team that loses by taking risks than a team that wins without trying anything at all.
The NZ national team is well balanced between conservative play and risky decision making. Combine that with great handling skills and you've got a clinical, lightning fast attack and effective defense.

And I mostly agree, but there's a difference between the calculated risk taking in sensible areas of the field and some of the insane chip kicks you sometimes see when under pressure near your own line. The All-blacks take risks but they take the correct risks.

Dan Cole my man of the match for the last 10 minutes alone ! Must have made 6 or 7 tackles and a turnover ! Haha

If Farrell plays and kicks the goals, what's the point of Halfpenny? Might as well have Williams. Although knowing Gats he'll place him on the wing instead of North or Watson.

Tipuric and Haskell were absolutely massive tonight and actually seemed to have a really good balance together. it's a reminder that on paper there SHOULD NOT be a huge gulf between mid-week and test side and a lot of the time there isn't. Lawes was massive again as well, Henderson was a little quieter but had a good game too.

Even if the players had an absolute stormer today, the fact that most of the players played 80 minutes suggests to me the best they could do Saturday is make the bench.

Latest posts