• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warren Gatland considers 50 players for Wales squad

It is standard pay for international players, first set by the Wallabies. Some international teams also implement try scoring bonuses.

I think the Welsh players are on some sort of bonus pay structure when they play for Wales, but I'm not too sure. Think they can earn much, much more than the £8,000 mentioned, depending on if they win, tries scored etc. etc. Can't remember the exact figure, but I think it was regarded as one of the top paying in the world. No evidence to back it up though, this is just from memory. I'll have a look to see if I can find any figures.....

There was something saying if Wales beat the All Blacks last Autumn then every player who took part would get an extra £7000 just for that game,. and if they then won all three games after that there would be something like a tripplnig in the players' wages.

Yup, I think DuncTheDoodle is right, it was something along those lines. Suppose there was similar bonuses in the 6 nations, depending on place in table, tripple crown, championship, grand slam etc. I think these bonuses should be scrapped and that money put into the A-team instead. Afterall, what do the bonuses achieve? It shouldn't effect the players motivation, as winning for your country should be enough. Also doubt any player would complain if they were scrapped in order to fund an A-team. Alltogether odd uses of money by the WRU imo.

The WRU have also ploughed huge sums of money into redeveloping training facilities in Glanmorgan, with indoor pitches etc. Yes this is all important, but surely instead of creating the 'world's best facilities' as they were touted, some of that money could be used to find the A-team for a few years.

Stupid!

Gatland says he will also name seven players that will train up until they fly to NZ, and could take part in the SA game. These seven are not a part of the 27-man squad.

Hook, Peel, Charteris and Martyn are not a part of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8680702.stm

Gatland suggesting that Knoyle is in contention for the 9 shirt.

Not quite sure how I feel about this. On one had, Knoyle is a fantastically tallented 19y/o, who looks to have a big future ahead of him. He's another big physical 9 in the Phillips mould, although I'd say he's much more advanced in the bread and butter scrum half roles than Phillips was even up till a few years ago.

However I feel Wayne Evans at the Dragon's has been performing out of his skin. Really come of age this season, and has been one of the main reasons for the Dragon's changes in fortunes and style of play. We also have a couple of physical 9's already in Phillips and Richie Rees, so would a quicker, dartier 9 like Evans better complimant those, especially with Peel not touring?

I do see Gatland not taking Richie Rees because of his fitness. Knoyle has shown he is better than Roberts. Roberts has not really progressed as much as he should have done over the last couple of years.

Latest posts