• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warren Gatland -New Head Coach of Wales! (Official)

Over the moon here. Possibly the best guy in World rugby to take us foreward. Should instill respect and rules into a team lacking both, add a much needed foreward edge and hopefully get the best men to back him up (Shaun Edwards?).

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what he can unleash from an undoubtly talented bunch of lads. Let's get the basics right and the rest will follow.

well he did a great job with Ireland...took Eddie years to break it down again...

I wasn't too convinced that sacking Jenkins was the right thing to do. Now i am. Whether Jenkins deserved to go or not, Gatland is a coach i'd rather not see in Wales (an Englishman's perspective :bleh!: )

I'm just looking forward to a new perspective for Welsh rugby.
I hope things start going well for us, because we love this game too much to be tortured like we do. We deserve more.

I also read today that if Shaun Edwards does hope on board it will only be for a part-time basis.
Anyone here know why?

Possibly our new defence coach - and alleged genius behind wasps' win over Leicester in the HEC final.

_44229804_gatland_ball_huw203.jpg

2007-11-09-Gatland-02.jpg

I swear to god it was not that f***ing sunny in Cardiff today!

Good little article from the BBC: -

The tests facing Gatland Welcome to the wacky world of Welsh rugby, Warren, and good luck... you're going to need it!

I'm just looking forward to a new perspective for Welsh rugby.
I hope things start going well for us, because we love this game too much to be tortured like we do. We deserve more.

I also read today that if Shaun Edwards does hope on board it will only be for a part-time basis.
Anyone here know why?
[/b]

Shaun Edwards is pretty much nailed on as the next England defence coach. I think he would do the Wales job on a part time basis and carry on his role as a Wasps coach. This is not being derogatory towards Wales its just he is a proud Englishman and is very keen to get involved with the England set up. By the way he is an exellent coach and a real believer in the blitz defence. Hard to believe England would be brave enough to go down this route after watching this world cup. All credit to Wales for bagging Gatland his record speaks for itself. His main problem is the structure in Wales not the current players. Long term that is what could hurt them most.

We couldn't get a worse defence coach than Rowland Phillips, that's for sure.

[/b]

It was just the area around the Millenium Stadium..on the day when reason and common sense returned to Wales...

Decent appointment, hopefully he can pick Wales up after poor World Cup, I'd take him over Eddie.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

It was just the area around the Millenium Stadium..on the day when reason and common sense returned to Wales...
[/b][/quote]

Don't be so sure.
We may have a new coach, but we've still got the same numpties working at the top.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Don't be so sure.
We may have a new coach, but we've still got the same numpties working at the top.
[/b][/quote]

Sounds like England ;)

He should do a solid job, maybe not quite as well as Mike Ruddock but certainly better than Gareth Jenkins. Will be interesting to see what he does with the Welsh team. If he keeps the high risk launching the ball from side to side or focuses on a more forward orientated game to get hard results.

The guy has to focus on our forwards for the sake of the Welsh game. These guys are way too much of a pushover, they're too afriad to get to the breakdown quickly and they make it a difficult job for Peel/Phillips to get quality ball out ot the backs. I could find 8 school boys who would do as good a job as the Welsh pack at the moment.
And as far as the backs are concerned they need a bit of direction. They're all very talented, skilful boys capable of very fancy rugby, but they need to be told to do the basics first and foremost. You know, aim for the bloody tryline instead of the touchlines...stuff like that.

Latest posts