Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Rugbypass have something on it.

Any chance of me starting to support the Lions again in 2021 is gone if true!

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Lame

Even if he has been successful recently it goes against the spirit of the lions to have the same guy in charge for over a decade

The Alpha Bro

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

I'd say it's as much of a case of no one else wanting it. It's a smaller gig than club rugby for a coach.

bushytop

First XV
Reaction score
Country Flag

Wales

Club or Nation

London Welsh

Lame

Even if he has been successful recently it goes against the spirit of the lions to have the same guy in charge for over a decade
Not that I’m particularly for this happening (I would rather Gats get the All Blacks gig although it’s unlikely) but even if this is the case he would still be one short of Geechs in terms of Head coaching the Lions. Yes he was on the tour in 2009 but he was merely forwards coach to my knowledge... though his character and ideas impressed Geechs and O’Driscol (from what I gather) so much that they were firmly behind Gats being the next Lions HC.

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

Lads. The Lions is not as much the privilege it once was. Professional standards were always going to dilute this

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

The problem is neither Schmidt and Jones want it, so Gatland is the next logical choice. His style will probably suit against the Boks. Read in the telegraph that it won’t stop RFU going for Gatland if he also accepts the Lions top job.

You can bash the Lions all you want, but I bet come 2021 all the haters will still be tuning in to watch and commenting on the matches.

The Alpha Bro

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

The problem is neither Schmidt and Jones want it, so Gatland is the next logical choice. His style will probably suit against the Boks. Read in the telegraph that it won’t stop RFU going for Gatland if he also accepts the Lions top job.

You can bash the Lions all you want, but I bet come 2021 all the haters will still be tuning in to watch and commenting on the matches.
Yeah, we/they're rugby fans. A meaningful set of internationals would be far more preferable.

The Oggmonster

First XV
Reaction score
Country Flag

Sweden

Club or Nation

Glasgow

For the sake of a few months surely it's better to wait until after the WC before thinking about this appointment. Guess Wales 2021 tour of Namibia will be one step closer if Gatland is confirmed.

Tigs Man

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation

Wigan

Honestly the main thing that would keep me interested in it is if the Lions played more games in lower tier countries.
Also add a european tour v a SH team maybe? Play 3 tests 1 in Netherlands, Germany and Spain (or even Sweden).

Have a European tour, Asian tour, Americas tour, Africa tour, Pacific nation tour or something.

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

Yeah, we/they're rugby fans. A meaningful set of internationals would be far more preferable.
Yeah, you'll need some meaningful set of internationals to look forward to once Ireland do their usual QF exit.;).

The Oggmonster

First XV
Reaction score
Country Flag

Sweden

Club or Nation

Glasgow

I'm guessing it'll be the same coaches as 2017 with Shaun Edwards coming in for Andy Farrell. Rob Howler as Head Attack Coach again?! Yawwwn

big ginger 8

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Where are Wales touring during the Lions?

The_Blindside

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

British Irish Lions

I'm guessing it'll be the same coaches as 2017 with Shaun Edwards coming in for Andy Farrell. Rob Howler as Head Attack Coach again?! Yawwwn
Would France release Shaun for this? Doubt it.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

Howley as lions attack coach is such a waste of the attacking talent available to the lions